Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Jockstrap Pass in Lesotho  (Read 483 times)

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
Jockstrap Pass in Lesotho
« on: May 25, 2007, 07:31:48 am »
Has anyone been up or down this road on their bike?

There was an article in the Star motoring section last night on this pass.
They claim the road today is what Sani was 20 years ago "before it became a freeway".

Pics would be nice too! 8)
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 08:13:52 am »
See here. Down to the bottom of the pics. Was in 2003.

Don't know if it qualifies as a pass for vehicles though. :shock:

http://heine.nusa.co.za/LesothoMarch2003/baboonsindex.htm

Some more from the net.

"He had a treat in store for us the next day: the offroad trail to their other jewel, Ramabanta Trading Post Lodge & Adventures on the edge of a cliff at Ramabanta, via Jockstrap Pass.

If you've done Sani and thought it nerve-wracking, avoid this one. But if you've a good 4x4 and love a challenge, go for it! It was rough: so rough my mate baled out a third of the way up, as white as a sheet and almost vomiting with nerves.

I ploughed on - what a performer the Fortuna was. Low range, difflock, its big tyres firmly grabbing on to those rocks and boulders. The scariest moment was when it started to slide sideways towards the end of a sheer cliff...

The lodge at the end was worth the terror. Perched on a cliff, with beautiful stone and thatched accommodation, glorious views, and again first-class cuisine and hospitality. In fact, we've already booked for later this year. Oh, and there's a short cut back to Roma - you don't repeat Jockstrap..."
He who angers you, controls you.

shark_za

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 08:27:21 am »
I will do the marketing thing for Ramabanta or Semonkong to be the venue for the wild dog meet.

Get your passports!

Baboons is right there by Ramabanta, part of the roof of africa route.
Not to harsh on an offroad bike, sort of like long rocks with big spaces between, hell on a DS bike or car.

So if we do Lesotho the riding varies from this to the best dirt vistas you can imagine. LARGE SCENERY.

Offline OX

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • http://www.oxtrails.co.za
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 11:32:29 am »
I have done Jock Strap a few times , will dig out the pics , and post them.
slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance this email's individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 07:13:53 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

JM, some of those pics are scary. Maybe i should get a smaller bike for this road :roll:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
Lesotho
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 07:45:26 am »
Hi there,

Jockstrap is not THAT serious, but varies over time a lot.  The best person to check with is Ashley Thorn at the Trading Post in Roma.  He also owns the Ramabanta camp (Trading Post Adventures) where the DSP at the bottom of Baboons is (Roof race).  By the way, Ashley is also now the chairman of the LORC, organizing the Roof races, I am looking forward to seeing the result.

The "serious" passes of Lesotho are really Baboons and then there is Letele (Da REAL thing).  Letele used to be part of the Roof back in the days when cars still rode.  All these "roads" have deteriorated somewhat over time.  We have driven these passes a couple of times and I reported some of the trips on the net.  We even took the XR650 once, but it takes a bike AND a rider.... :roll:

See this link, there are a few of my reports there too.  Friend Michel Zimmermann and his "Elendewagen"  :twisted:  have a lot of real Lesotho 4x4 experience too:

http://www.overland.co.za/feedback/les_feedback.html

But I am a bit of a sissy - so I am waiting for the real men amongst you to publish a Letele DS report (up the pass, not down).....  :twisted:
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....