Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: XT 500 rebuild spray or powdercoat  (Read 6185 times)

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • View Profile
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
Re: XT 500 rebuild spray or powdercoat
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2011, 11:45:45 am »
Did you sandblast/beadblast the motor first?
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200
`11 CRF 230F `12 KTM 200  BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline tikkeltokkel

• Vendors
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Britain fights back!
    • View Profile
    • mike lamb photography
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2011, 05:36:19 pm »
The Mechanical stuff (all the stuff that clean green wont budge) is being done by the garage so i'm not sure what prep he did on the motor.
I definitely need to sleep more. But as they say, you can sleep when you're dead. -  Viggo Mortensen

Offline tikkeltokkel

• Vendors
  • Britain fights back!
    • View Profile
    • mike lamb photography
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 05:46:36 pm »
You know you're into the nitty gritty parts when you are taking headlight bulbs out and washing the inside of the headlight. Dust of the last 30 years will find its way in every and anywhere.

And a polished Bash plate looking good reflecting the changing season.
I definitely need to sleep more. But as they say, you can sleep when you're dead. -  Viggo Mortensen

Offline tikkeltokkel

• Vendors
  • Britain fights back!
    • View Profile
    • mike lamb photography
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 02:04:02 am »
Here's a handy site i have just discovered ,
The one link is a microfiche , that you can expand any part of your bike for a part number and the other - a very expensive (birthday gift) spare parts list, just in case you win the lotto and can't find the part anywhere else.
http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xt500-trail_model16847/
http://www.cmsnl.com/search.php?model_id=8836&partsPage=1#results

According to this site my "G" model is a 1980 model .

Offline Roadcat

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2011, 08:30:04 am »
It's always good to have more places to buy parts from but I've just compared the price of a footpeg and they're even more expensive than www.kedo.com, who I thought were overpriced!
I don't like morning people... in fact I don't like mornings, or people!

KTM 690 Enduro
Yamaha XT500 (Undergoing surgery)

Offline tikkeltokkel

• Vendors
  • Britain fights back!
    • View Profile
    • mike lamb photography
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2011, 06:20:13 pm »
Has anyone had their wheels rebuilt/relaced? If so, who in the Johannesburg area have you used?

Offline tikkeltokkel

• Vendors
  • Britain fights back!
    • View Profile
    • mike lamb photography
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2011, 06:27:41 pm »
The parts have come back from being powder coated. 34 parts/pieces plus the back mudguard, frame, grab rail, crash rail and Exhaust (done with a high heat coating ) All for R2000 , that's not too bad. Will get electroplating work back next week. The camel tank is a work in progress. 10 years ago someone hacked the paint job and plastic welding , some tips on doing it this time round? Either tips on a good "petrol fume resistant" spray paint and /or a method of plastic welding to redo the filler cap. I am contemplating using "Q-bond"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:23:16 am by tikkeltokkel »

Offline tikkeltokkel

• Vendors
  • Britain fights back!
    • View Profile
    • mike lamb photography
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, 01:27:02 am »
The chromed parts are back so the rebuild can start. 2weeks and counting.. Awesome stuff!

Offline tikkeltokkel

• Vendors
  • Britain fights back!
    • View Profile
    • mike lamb photography
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2011, 12:43:34 pm »
a slipped disc and a death in the family for the guys that are rebuilding sets us back a bit. Spent some large bucks already but its nearing the end ... its a 3rd built. Saved some serious labour costs by spending about 45 hours cleaning up what i could and taking and fetching parts to be done.

Offline tikkeltokkel

• Vendors
  • Britain fights back!
    • View Profile
    • mike lamb photography
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2011, 08:15:33 am »
 ........ and still i wait ...........

Offline @VT

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2011, 04:38:17 am »
Hi There

Re your camel tank - there is no paint or decals that can stick to the tank, especially when it stands in the sun, which seems to aggravate matters - unless you treat the tank so that the plastic can no longer breathe - yes the petrol fumes breathe through the plastic.

You get a special two pack epoxy resin that you mix, pour into the tank slowly swish around and then pour out the excess, this effectively, totally seals the plastic from breathing - but the trick is how do you make sure the inside is clean so that the epoxy bonds to the plastic, and that's where my story turned into a nightmare, I cleaned the inside by swishing around acetone, did the epoxy, sprayed the tank, and a short while into using the bike the paint started to bubble - taking a torch and looking into the tank I then saw that the epoxy had started delaminating - I then had the absolute nightmare or trying to get the delaminated shell of epoxy out the inside of the tank. So for my money I would do this;

Go along to your automotive paint shop and buy 2 or 3 sheets each of 320, 600, 1200 and 2000 grit waterpaper - get the old paint and junk off with the 320 and then move from roughest to smoothest with the other papers, using lots of water, small pieces of paper and small round movements. Then put a buffer attachment on your drill and first buff it with rubbing compound and lastly with the smooth polish paste (like a rough polish) take your time, when you start getting G$TVOL take a break, don't try rush it, and you'll see you will have the tank back to a glossy new looking plastic - no worries about bubbling and peeling.

Hope this was of some help.
Biking history excluding project bikes - Yamaha's: DT50LC, DT250, XT500 & 1200 Super Tenere. BMW's: F650, R80G/S, K75, R100RS, 1200GS & 1200GSA, Triumph Tiger 885. Honda's: Africa Twin's x 2 & Varadero 1000. Now back to the legend - another Africa Twin 750

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 03:50:46 pm »
Hi There

Re your camel tank - there is no paint or decals that can stick to the tank, especially when it stands in the sun, which seems to aggravate matters - unless you treat the tank so that the plastic can no longer breathe - yes the petrol fumes breathe through the plastic.

You get a special two pack epoxy resin that you mix, pour into the tank slowly swish around and then pour out the excess, this effectively, totally seals the plastic from breathing - but the trick is how do you make sure the inside is clean so that the epoxy bonds to the plastic, and that's where my story turned into a nightmare, I cleaned the inside by swishing around acetone, did the epoxy, sprayed the tank, and a short while into using the bike the paint started to bubble - taking a torch and looking into the tank I then saw that the epoxy had started delaminating - I then had the absolute nightmare or trying to get the delaminated shell of epoxy out the inside of the tank. So for my money I would do this;

Go along to your automotive paint shop and buy 2 or 3 sheets each of 320, 600, 1200 and 2000 grit waterpaper - get the old paint and junk off with the 320 and then move from roughest to smoothest with the other papers, using lots of water, small pieces of paper and small round movements. Then put a buffer attachment on your drill and first buff it with rubbing compound and lastly with the smooth polish paste (like a rough polish) take your time, when you start getting G$TVOL take a break, don't try rush it, and you'll see you will have the tank back to a glossy new looking plastic - no worries about bubbling and peeling.

Hope this was of some help.

Agreed! :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200
`11 CRF 230F `12 KTM 200  BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Remy

• Iron Rider
  • Iron Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2011, 04:22:54 pm »
Subscribed

Take what you can, give nothing back.
1981 YZ 80 Sold
1982 GSX 250 Sold
1985 MBX 50 Sold 1978 CB 550 Sold 1984 GSX 750 Sold 2006 CBR 600 RR Sold 2009 TRX 400 Present 2007 XL883 Sportster Sold 2009 F800GS Sold 1984 XR 500 RE Present

Offline tikkeltokkel

• Vendors
  • Britain fights back!
    • View Profile
    • mike lamb photography
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2011, 02:22:25 am »
Camel tank sprayed and will have decals put on tomorrow , it made me a bit moist today seeing it, the side covers are also finished ,,,, mean stuff. Now , Mechanic on holiday , hopefully ready and finished by Monday , Its now been 3 Months in the (re) Making !

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Save the White Rhino
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2011, 05:16:50 am »
Excellent rebuild so far :thumleft:  - Subscribed >>>>>
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:17:18 am by White Rhino »
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Hondsiff Honda

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2011, 05:33:04 am »
Looking good

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2011, 09:35:43 am »
 :happy1:
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, Husqvarna 610 TE, Husqvarna 510 TE, Suzuki DR 650 SE.

Offline BB King

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2011, 10:37:32 pm »
Still awake & waiting for you & C to pop in for Coffee & a sneak-peak....  :biggrin:

Your entire way of life is bullshit, macho is bullshit! - 1 8 7

The enjoyment of not thinking, makes riding awesome!!

Offline tikkeltokkel

• Vendors
  • Britain fights back!
    • View Profile
    • mike lamb photography
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2011, 11:25:15 pm »
Hey B, You're still waiting .... think of me then .... i am waiting for everyone , very patiently actually, starting to piss me right off

Offline BB King

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2011, 11:34:17 pm »
OK, you can post pics of the tank now!!! People need to see that!  :ricky:
Your entire way of life is bullshit, macho is bullshit! - 1 8 7

The enjoyment of not thinking, makes riding awesome!!