Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Converting  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Xwagga

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
Converting
« on: June 08, 2007, 10:29:46 am »
Elo everyone

This is the 1st time on the site (I'm on another bike forum in SA) & also the 1st post here. I'm a roady now for more than a year but my heart is in the veld. I'm a big 4x4 enthusiast & been considering selling the ZZR & buying a dual to get out in the field on my own to site & think.

Now I have a problem as there is so many on the market. I'm not looking at the BMW 650 as I think they're over rated (sorry for the toes I trap on) & the KTM I think is to expensive to service. SO ideally I'm look for a JAP bike which has not got a lot of hassles, which is easy to maintain & which is also cheap to service. (If need be to be fixed with a piece of bloudraad & tang in the feld tipe bike) But also something that I can use on my daily commute to the office (about 80km round trip). It should be quite to not disturb people in the area.

Guess this Q has been asked a lot.

Thanks in advice in advance
My views on everything has changed over the past view months

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
KLR
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 11:08:54 am »
You sound like a Kawasaki KLR 650 man!  Hard to beat them in the "Value for money" department and the "draad & tang" thing works on them.  My personal biggest gripe from riding one was the front brake, but a braided hose stopped the expanding of the stock rubber one and things were much better.  Get one!  And it is so cheap that you can keep the ZZR!  :)
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
Converting
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 11:16:30 am »
Welcome and stop considering. Just get one....
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
Converting
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 11:24:20 am »
Howzit!

Lets also not forget the other value-for-money dual sport bike - the Suzuki DR650SE.  It fulfill all the requirements as stated, only minus is the fuel tank on the Kawa is bigger, however, the DR650 have a few other +'s over the KLR in that its seat can be lowered, less weight being an air-cooled bike, the suspension is more off-road orientated than the KLR.  Lots of reviews on the net - remember Mr Google is your info friend!

Mmmmm...this bike may just suite you, seeing that it looks nogal like a Kwagga :evil4:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 07:02:21 pm by Watty »

Offline Xwagga

• Race Dog
Converting
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 11:38:27 am »
How would the Jamama & Honda compare. I was looking at the KLR before posting a fred but just need to hear all the opinions - eks maar 'n tropdier, like what people says & then make a decision

Offline Xwagga

• Race Dog
Converting
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 11:51:46 am »
For which bikes do you get paniers & top boxes (not the soft ones)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Converting
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 11:56:29 am »
The 'tang and draad' thing also got me thinking 'KLR'.

Do you want to carry a pillion ?

My vote is also for the KLR or the DR.

Why I ask about you wanting to carry a pillion, there's also a Yammie that I like a lot - Gravelmad's XT660. That is a cool bike, but it seems a little more focused.

Honda's got the Transalp - extremely capable. Some (including me) consider it the best 'all rounder' trade off between offroad touring, playing a little, long distance touring and commuting to work and back.
Edit - Vstrom DL650 close on its hind legs ...

The transalp is (from what I understand) end of line tho' - it's going to be replaced by a 700 (if I remember correctly)

My 5 cents...

W
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
Converting
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 11:57:41 am »
Quote from: "Xwagga"

Givi and a couple of others makes stuff for most of them.

I don't know about the XT660 tho'...

W.
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Xwagga

• Race Dog
Converting
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 12:00:52 pm »
Yes the wife will most probably go with sometimes but most not, the laaiti will prob go more (but he's still 6years old - so small).

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
Converting
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 12:01:24 pm »
Quote from: "Eisbein"

Givi and a couple of others makes stuff for most of them.

I don't know about the XT660 tho'...

W.

I stand corrected about the 660:
http://www.touratechshop.co.za/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=626_524

Offline PoepolJack

• Pack Dog
  • Really shy member since 2006-11-08
Converting
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 12:02:52 pm »
The Jamama and Honda"s are more expensive to start with and more tar road orientated. For that price differince you can add a hell of a lot of extras to your KLR, like braded  breakhoses. better steel footpegs, fatbars, centrestand etc etc whatever tickle your fancy. Im on my third KLR and still loving it like my first :lol:  :lol:  The best value for money IMO
You have one life... Live it!!!

Offline Xwagga

• Race Dog
Converting
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 12:15:36 pm »
what is the purpose of braded breakhoses & what is fat bars - hmmmm so much to learn

Offline Avon

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Converting
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 12:15:53 pm »
Eisbein wrote
Edit - Vstrom DL650 close on its hind legs ...

Ah......... so my son's the one that got the brains then :wink:

"always try to improve the nut between the handlebar and seat."

Offline Xwagga

• Race Dog
Converting
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 12:23:38 pm »
should the fender not be a bit higher & should the exhaust not be protected against rocks - looking on the web at all the bikes currently & KLR seems the way I'm gona go.

Now just to sort the accesories

Offline PoepolJack

• Pack Dog
  • Really shy member since 2006-11-08
Converting
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 12:28:00 pm »
what is the purpose of braded breakhoses & what is fat bars - hmmmm so much to learn

The braded hoses gives you a better break response and a fatbar is thicker, stronger, enduro type handlebars made by Pro-Typer for if you drop the bitch you dont bend the bars.
You have one life... Live it!!!

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
Converting
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 01:29:13 pm »
Welkom Kwagga.  :D
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef

Offline Hermanator

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Wine brings out the best in me!
Converting
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 05:01:02 pm »
should the fender not be a bit higher & should the exhaust not be protected against rocks - looking on the web at all the bikes currently & KLR seems the way I'm gona go.

Nope, the Fender is fine just where it is. If you're aiming at launching it 10 ft in the air, then the Strom's not for you. I've never found it lacking. I als high-sided my Strom and there's not a mark on the exhaust (and the rest of the bike is surprisingly undamaged as well!).

Check it out!

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Converting
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 05:26:08 pm »
get a new klr, should have been launched already(?)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
Converting
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 05:26:43 pm »
@Avon - Yip ! way to go ! Those vee twins are blerrie fast and capable...

Lawrence (Herminator)'s ride is testimony that a) you do get engine and sump protection and b) that it does work  :P  :P

When I started to look around for a dualsport bike I was seriously looking at the V-Strom(1000) and Varadero along with the GS. I am still drooling over the Aprillia Caponord Raid as I think it is the most beautiful DS bike out there (yeah yeah, flame away), but it wasn't in my budget.

I am blessed with a wife that loves riding with, so the requirements are a little different for us (two up longdistance comfort). That is a compromise I am more than willing to make to be able to enjoy the outdoors and biking with her.

Having said that, if my situation was different (if I had to buy a DS bike only for me without a pillion it would be either (in order of preference) DR, KLR, XT660 or a XR650.

Those bikes look more rugged than the veestroms, transalps or even the dak (sorry to all the dak owners but I tend to favour the plaaslook above the pretty lines of the dak).

That's my 5c

Offline gsjoe

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
Converting
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 08:08:33 pm »
From your initial brief there can only be one the KLR = plaasbike, but 80k's daily?

Do look at the older Boxer engined lovelies on offer too. Just get on and ride. More expensive at first probably, but dependable to ride, and they last forever, what other bikes get to 300 000 and still run smoothly?

Economical to run, self serviceable, and a dream with a pillion, bling by the dozen.

My totaly unbiased opinion.

Stay away from the lifestyle s though.

oh ya welcome
I've spent most of my money on motorbikes, Land Cruisers, women and beer, the rest, I have to confess, I just wasted.