Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ladies and gentlemen, I give you ...  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Lem

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, I give you ...
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2011, 09:16:56 am »
Hi Allan

yes thanks, the bike was sold last week, has since been well serviced and the new owner is leaving on a short trip today. Within about three weeks he would have fixed the dent in the tank as well, and cleaned up the pig. The bike stayed in the Durbanville area.

I think it will be a good buy, he wont have too much markup.
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline allan.cawood

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2011, 09:21:41 am »
Hi Allan

yes thanks, the bike was sold last week, has since been well serviced and the new owner is leaving on a short trip today. Within about three weeks he would have fixed the dent in the tank as well, and cleaned up the pig. The bike stayed in the Durbanville area.

Cool.

I'm looking for that ride you did a few months back with all those back roads ... help?
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
2004 Yamaha XT660X (Barker)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder)

"You can take my heart, you can take my breath  When you pry it from my cold, dead chest"  Skillet - The Resistance (Unleashed 2016)

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2011, 08:28:38 pm »
Hi Allan

Cool.

I'm looking for that ride you did a few months back with all those back roads ... help?

Don't forget to give me a shout when you find it - just can't this weekend shooting championships both days
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline allan.cawood

« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2011, 08:54:25 am »
Hi Allan

Cool.

Don't forget to give me a shout when you find it - just can't this weekend shooting championships both days

Will do Mr. P ... it is a quick run, 2 hours I think, can do it after work one too ... or a sat morning

"You can take my heart, you can take my breath  When you pry it from my cold, dead chest"  Skillet - The Resistance (Unleashed 2016)

Offline Lem

« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2011, 09:23:30 am »
Hi guys, its a pretty quick and easy stint.

sorry, dont have mapsource, but these roads are clearly marked, except for one.

but beware, once you pick a saturday morning......you might not be home by 18h00.

the short one I did one afternoon, was from Durbanville out on Philadelphia road, turned left towards Philadelphia and over the single bridge, turned right towards Kalbaskraal for about 10kms. You will get a clear dirt road coming out from your right, I took that one. It goes past a sand mine, as well as a clay mine and comes out on the tar road between Klipheuwel and Malmesbury.

I went north, till about 10km before Malmesbury and one of my favourite roads turns out to the right, "Joubertskloof, Welgemeend". Its about 13km long and comes out about 10km from Malmesbury on the other side, the Wellington/Malmesbury road.

I went into Malmesbury, and turned right just after Toyota, this road becomes dirt after about 1km, and will take you all the way to moorreesburg, but I turned right after about 7km towards Riebeeck west.

This stretch is very nice, hills up and down, I turned right on Riebeeckrivier a very pretty road behind the mountain, comes out on the tar between Malmesbury and Riebeeck Kasteel. From here I turned home, rode the Joubertskloof dirt back again, from that side it is marked "Paardeberg", and just for a final stint of dirt I turned left for Occultdale road, just as you turn right towards Philadelphia again from Klipheuwel

185km, loads of fun.

Offline allan.cawood

« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2011, 09:26:53 am »

but beware, once you pick a saturday morning......you might not be home by 18h00.

the short one I did one afternoon, was from Durbanville out on Philadelphia road, turned left towards Philadelphia and over the single bridge, turned right towards Kalbaskraal for about 10kms. You will get a clear dirt road coming out from your right, I took that one. It goes past a sand mine, as well as a clay mine and comes out on the tar road between Klipheuwel and Malmesbury.

I went north, till about 10km before Malmesbury and one of my favourite roads turns out to the right, "Joubertskloof, Welgemeend". Its about 13km long and comes out about 10km from Malmesbury on the other side, the Wellington/Malmesbury road.

I went into Malmesbury, and turned right just after Toyota, this road becomes dirt after about 1km, and will take you all the way to moorreesburg, but I turned right after about 7km towards Riebeeck west.

This stretch is very nice, hills up and down, I turned right on Riebeeckrivier a very pretty road behind the mountain, comes out on the tar between Malmesbury and Riebeeck Kasteel. From here I turned home, rode the Joubertskloof dirt back again, from that side it is marked "Paardeberg", and just for a final stint of dirt I turned left for Occultdale road, just as you turn right towards Philadelphia again from Klipheuwel

185km, loads of fun.

Perfect Thanks Lem!!! Will try map it with the 660 ... first real use of it!!!

Mr. P ... when we riding ...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:29:08 am by allan.cawood »

Offline Lem

« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2011, 10:43:44 am »
if you have a bit more time, one of the best dayrides I ever did was to go on to Mooorreesburg with that dirt road, in Moorreesburg turn right at the only robot. After the small river bridge you turn left and go past the town sportsfields. This road is a superb stretch of straight gravel highway. about 18km long, joins a T-junction between Koringberg and Koperfontein.
I went right towards Koringberg and the N7. Go left at N7 for only a few 100meters, and you get a sign to the right. "Die Brug/Misverstand"

this leads you to a beautifull old steel and rock bridge over Bergrivier. Just after the bridge you can turn right on another highway, go right again at the end, and left at the end. This road comes out in Porterville.

From porterville I went north out of town and took the first gravel road right, and up Dasklippas. On top of the mountain you will find campsites like Beaverlac and you can continue on a narrow road, that becomes tweespoor into a nature reserve called Groot Winterhoekberge.

from there, turn back, go into town and ride the tar to just outside Gouda, turn right on the Moorreesburg gravel road, go over the bridge and after 6km you'll find a turnoff left that will come out in Riebeeck west.
if you return hom from there, you would have done 425km for the day. 

this is an awesome ride, especially in winter when everything is green and yellow

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2011, 08:59:05 pm »

185km, loads of fun.

Perfect Thanks Lem!!! Will try map it with the 660 ... first real use of it!!!

Mr. P ... when we riding ...

What about next weekend?
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline Country Gal

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • X-Country rules!
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2011, 07:40:19 pm »
Woodbush Forest Drive - Magoebas Kloof.
Lekker snotterig...

Looks like the bike was foraging a bit after a hard day on the dirt  :D

Offline Stofdonkie

• Forum Whore
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2011, 05:33:54 am »
 ;)
Carpe BM.

Offline allan.cawood

« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2011, 08:35:20 am »
 :drif:

Offline GSLaaitie

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2011, 11:26:22 am »
I went on a run with my dad yesterday. Halfway, we switched bikes and I got onto the 1150 for the first time in years. Man I can't believe that with all the changes on these bikes, so little has actually changed! 10 years old, but stil an awesome ride! These bikes are something those djÍrmins can be proud of! :thumleft:
Beer isn't the answer. It's the question. The answer, is Yes!

True story