Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: NAMIBIAN HARDCORE VOLCANO RUN - Completed  (Read 12116 times)

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Re: NAMIBIAN HARDCORE VOLCANO RUN
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2011, 07:29:12 am »
after this read I am going for a ride......... :thumleft:

Offline alli

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Where to next?
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2011, 10:44:08 am »
Those farm gates on the molopo border river road slowed me down badly when I did that section, only me, so it was stop, open gate, get on bike, ride through, stop, get off, close gate, get back on bike, ride till next gate......repeat ad nauseum........but still well worth it.
I camped on that road about halfway to Andriesvale, only saw another vehicle the next day, awesome.

Thanks for sharing Stevie :thumleft:

GONE INSANE.....BACK SOON

KLR650 & DR350S & XR600R

Offline ThinkMike

• 2-wheel Addiction
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Not now honey, I'm Riding
    • Southern Africa Aventure Trips
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 11:01:16 am »
Keep it comming!!!     :thumleft:  :thumleft:  :thumleft:
Sorry Babe I am still riding.

Offline Spore

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2011, 12:19:32 pm »
Fantastic! Hats off to all of you! Have met Jimbo nearly 2 years ago on Dr Rex's farm at Bray. Keep it comming! :thumleft:
Courage without conscience is a wild beast...

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2011, 12:23:31 pm »
Do any of you have a gdb file of your track? I am heading that way down to the bash so I would be useful to see which routes you took. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:23:57 pm by DeepBass9 »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2011, 09:23:47 am »
Do any of you have a gdb file of your track? I am heading that way down to the bash so I would be useful to see which routes you took. Thanks!

Will see what I can do...

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2011, 10:20:39 am »
Cool thanks!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2011, 09:21:13 pm »
Is this alright??

Probably some info you don't need.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2011, 11:09:18 pm »
Day 4

With a bit of time to spare it was nice to take notice of the smaller things around us.

The silence of the area was wonderful. No uneccessary noise to have to deal with.
I was packed up fairly early as I wanted to change my sparkplug to see if my fuel consumption could be improved.
This was also a big day because it was new shirt/jersey day - Chris putting on his "loudest " and Jim mimicking a bumblebee.

Jimbo also proposed the "Nabian Salute"

Chris was a little slow in getting going this morning...

...and kept Jim waiting...

We took an easy ride into Aroab to pay our Nabian road tax - R140-00 - re-fuel, buy water for the days ride and chops for dinner tonight. The interest from the locals was intense. Many shaking their heads at our idea of adventure, others wishing us well.

The road to Koes took us over some amazing roads, smooth and fast. We rarely backed off the throttle even going over the zero gravity dunes. The thrill of flying over these sections of road were exhilarating, flying over the top at 120+, rear wheels spinning as they lost traction at the crest, and then the hollow-gut swoop down the far side.
The thrill had me whoop-whooping in my helmet, my smile ear to ear. I am really sorry that we did not get any action shots of these zero gravity sections. I was quite prepared to head back and do them all over again - lotsa fun  :ricky:

The Nabian roads were good, lots of loose gravel on top but rarely was this a problem. The corners  were also do-able at speed. We stopped on one particular corner to do some action videos, again good fun.

The terrain and landscape all but flat constantly changed as we continued on our quest. The riding still fast and intense. The roadside farms separated by many miles (no noisy neighbor complaints out here!!!).

We rode into Koes just before mid-day and followed Jim to the salt pan on the outskirts of town.
This was an almost surreal experience for me - almost as if I had ridden into a 3-D video game. I followed Jim's lines as he sped out onto the pan, the surface uber-smooth we weaved and turned on this amazing playground - my mind not computing very well that I was leaning the bike in a tight turn at 100km/h!!!
Chasing behind Jim it reminded me of one of my son's playstation games, apart from the handlebars' slight vibration in my hands it all seemed like I wasn't there. With no immediate reference points along the featureless pan it was difficult to judge speed.
I stopped to take some pics and in no time Chris and Jim dissapeared into a shimmering midday mirage, only to re-appear, heading straight at me at top speed - great stuff.

Pics to follow - Photobucket on strike!!!  >:(   SORTED  ;D

Arrived in Koes just in time to re-fuel and grab some supplies before the whole town shut down for for their daily siesta - apparently it is too hot to do anything so they go home and do .... well ...... dunno??
Chris was able to buy some half defrosted pies from the local take away - warm on the outside crispy ice on the inside - on the day, they tasted good. We sat outside the closed shop on the cool cement marvelling at the pace of the town as it went to sleep.

As with all other spots, if you were late you missed the shade and your buddy didn't care...

Jim's comment day 4 - part 1
Day 4.
Lazy start.  At Aroab purchased Namibian road tax, fuel etc. Enroute to Koes we practiced our fast Namibian road corners, played on the “Zero Gravity” roads over the dunes, and at Koes did a couple of flat out “figure eights” on Koes pan.  Then departed for Tses.  

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:17:20 am by Stevie »

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 05:36:59 am »
Cheers for the route Stevie. Pics will help to visualise this delicious offroad terrain :thumleft:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline Stevie

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 09:40:48 am »
Day 4 cntd.

Pics have been added to last post.

En-route to Tses, we suprised a couple of locals that were up to some sort of hanky panky at the dam in the backround.... ;D

Stopped in Tses to top up with fuel, again attracting much interest from the locals, this lad looking as if chemical abuse had occured in his genealogy...

Quick photo stop as time was on our side

And there she was - our first view of our destination - Mount Brukkaros

Brukkaros just visible on the right of the pic

She loomed larger as we got closer. The riding very relaxed now - we were taking in our surrounds, the terrain showing evidence massive tectonic activity all those millions of years ago. Sudden upthrusts of rocky outcrops, clues of the upward pressure of steam/water and lava as this phenomenon took place. Some areas flat and smooth giving way to rolling swells of earth not unlike a mild day offshore.

Finally, the turn-off, this was it, the heart of Nabia - we had made it.

The happy Nabian Adventurers

Nam $30 for day visitors, $50 for overnight camping

Chris comment
We did eventually cross into Namibia and we did get to see and camp on the amazing Brukaross crater which can be seen from about 90km away as it rises above the skyline.

The roads were amazingly fast and quite easy to handle.

Jim's comment
Well before Tses Mount Brukkaros came into view.  It is visible from 90kms in any direction.  Topped up with fuel at Tses, and then on to Mount Brukkaros.  We arrived on top (Or as high as you can go by bike) with time to spare.  Some difficulty with finding fire wood, and no water.  There was a relentless South-Westerly all afternoon and night, but it felt fresh and almost alpine.  The track up the side of the mountain is un-kept and rocky, but not difficult.  Just a little care and caution.  The foot track to further in the crater would have been risky for us under the circumstances.  Chris unexpectedly produced a flask of Brandy to celebrate our arrival at destination.   A cool windy night, but slept OK.

Our humble abode for the night

And then CATASTROPHE!!!!!!!!!
Chris had smuggled along Very Njarmie Brandy for our celebratory toast atop the Volcano. We had each carried along our 200ml of Coke to mix. All set, mixed our drinks, set up the camera for the celebration pic. In my haste to get in position after pushing the button, I raced forward telling Chris and Jim not to spill my very precious drink .... just so that I could - @##&%!!

The view

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2011, 09:53:25 am »
 :thumleft:

Koes pan I have lost 4 teeth on that pan and blown a 5s5 exc motor that the pieces was lying on the pan service for 100m.

Like your spirit on the ride looks like you had fun :thumleft:

Offline eSKaPe

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • As in "The Great Escape"
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2011, 10:04:31 am »
Always an adventure in Nabia! Great ride
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:32:07 am by eSKaPe »

Offline Charka

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dink vinnig-leef verwoed
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 10:33:14 am »
Looks so lekke...................
Till the end of people

Offline APO

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 11:58:43 am »
Hey guys, respect to you all - thanks for the report. Im going to have to put in some sand practise before enjoying something like this.

Offline eSKaPe

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • As in "The Great Escape"
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 01:34:12 pm »
This RR a good build up to our trip to the bash next week - we will be doing some routes around Aroab, Karasburg and the canyon - wish we had more time...

Offline domstes

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2011, 04:17:40 pm »
One day, when I am big I am going to do a trip like that!  :thumleft:
Thanks for the RR.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2011, 04:54:10 pm »
One day, when I am big I am going to do a trip like that!  :thumleft:
Thanks for the RR.

... And then you get one of these.....

Offline White Rhino

• Save the White Rhino
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2011, 05:39:49 am »
Well done guys - a fantastic spirited adventure ride (skuze the pun) :thumleft:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline KTM Jagermeister

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2011, 07:41:52 am »
Lekkerrrrrrrrrrr !