Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Fairies Ride  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Jman

• Bike: Suzuki XF650 Freewind
  • Ride the freewind like you stole it
Re: The Fairies Ride
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 08:49:10 am »
So What started as a ride thought, a route on mapsource, and a reason to confince two members not to sell their biks (both with "akkie" in their names), turned out to be a lekker weekend with good people and great scenery.
I initially booked 8 camping spots in Hoggsback at away with the fairies, and send out a email, the group filled up quickly, and we got a back up bakkie, courtousy of VWSA.
So the ride turned out to be:
Dawi     BMW Dakar
Thump  KTM 950
Byron    KLR 650
Johan    KLR 650
Errol      KLR 650
Derrik    Transalp 650
Jman      Freewind 650
Corne    Amarok driver
Jan        Amarok co-Driver
We all thought the KTM was going to need the back up bakkie, but luckly it held firm, and we all had a incident free ride, only one puncture on the Dakar but that was sorted with a foam bomb.  Thats also why it was lying on it's side in the one photo as Dawi misaligned the centre stand with the uneven road sufrace.
So we left Saturday morning bright and early:

I was there about 15min before anyone else, bit of a eager beaver!
Dawi with a interesting screen on his dakar, he said he did not feel a breeze all the way

Ok have to work a bit, so will post pics and Fairies later, here is the route we took:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:53:51 am by Jman »

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 08:53:00 am »
Richard Bennet and the local farmers are looking at putting a Post Retief bas together some time with guided outrides in the area. It
will definitely be worthwhile to attend when they do.
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Jman

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 08:58:26 am »
Some of my pic of day 1:
On top of Suurberg pass

First breakfeast break:

Notice the Amarok facing the other way, he thought this route is to easy in this bakkie, he will just reverse it out:

Notice how I just missed Thump on my approach:

KTM and BMW needs some TLC (just after Anns villa and suurberg):

Offline Jman

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 09:05:14 am »
On the Fish river, I love this bike, even though it is getting old now, and needs some serious maintenance after this trip:

Same bridge, taken through my sunglasses:

Some pic of my nice Mitas tyre, chain and a KLR:

Mooi Blommetjies langs die pad voor Adelaide:

One place that amazed me on this trip was around Adelaide, between Adelaide and Katberg was the best, flowing nice gravel roads, and green flowing valey's. Dit het rus tot my siel gebring.

Offline Jman

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 09:13:02 am »
The flowers looked so soft, I had to go and feel it:

Resting and lunch in Adelaide, we were treated by our food that we brought along:

Just after Adelaide, some nice roads:

Stopped at Post Retief, a baracks of Piet retief form somewhere in the far past:

The Amarok driver getting the feeling of a bike:

When we stopped here, we heard another bike in the distance, here came a nice sounding TW200(I think) met twee plaas seuns agter op.  Later their dad arrived on his Super tenere, it was none other than Richard form the Three farmers and a Greek fame. I followed their trip on their website, and man, that was an eic journey they had:

He was mighty inpressed with their KLR's on their trip and was glad to see there are still some of them riding here in SA as well  :peepwall:. I must agree, they are made for this type of riding!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:16:01 am by Jman »

Offline Tiger8

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 09:24:50 am »
Nice Ride guy's :thumleft:  Thump, I see now why you didn't return my SMS for a ride on Sunday  8) wondered whay you would turn down a ride invite >:D
I was sitting at thome the whole friggin weekend  :eek7: each time I wanted to go out there was something to do.............. :xxbah: Lekker Moerig on this Monday morning

This makes me Jaloers  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: Nice one guy's :thumleft:
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F

Offline >>Thump°C

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 09:48:07 am »
Nice Ride guy's :thumleft:  Thump, I see now why you didn't return my SMS for a ride on Sunday  8) wondered whay you would turn down a ride invite >:D
I was sitting at thome the whole friggin weekend  :eek7: each time I wanted to go out there was something to do.............. :xxbah: Lekker Moerig on this Monday morning

This makes me Jaloers  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: Nice one guy's :thumleft:

never received sms.

phones battery was going flat so switched off most the time, but received others messages when I switched on again. ??
Boys will be Boys.

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 09:48:44 am »
:ricky:
Nice mixture of terrain and things to see  :thumleft:
Care to post the route?

attached

Great - thanks!  :thumleft:
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline >>Thump°C

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 09:50:36 am »
katberg panoramas
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:59:04 am by >>Thump°C »
Boys will be Boys.

Offline Jman

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 10:54:08 am »
So on we went to Katberg pass.
The road up on Adelaides side was smooth, with HUGE speed bumps, and one of them had a nice water ditch on the other side, it caught the Admiral out, but luckyly he held the bike and got out with a knock on the shin. Luckyly for me he was just in front of me, so I avoided the hole, but I think you can have a serious fall there, if you not aware of that gat!

We stopped on top of Katberg for some piektchas, and the bombastic KTM stood right in front spoiling all the other okes nice scenery pic.  ::)

Then we had a bit of a rocky section going down, but nothing serious, everyone glided through.

Errol:

Nog een

Offline Jman

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 11:07:23 am »
These places are awesome beautiful!
Annerkant Katberg, past the katberg hotel was a lekker fast stukkie gravel, here I noticed my rear shock starting to leak oil, but it stopped later, and I was loosing a bit of grip, maar die freewind vat hom in sy stride. Any way,after waiting for the Amarok to arrive for a good couple of minites, we heard from them that we had our first fall on the trip, it was the driver Crne who got out to check the tyres, he slipped and fell, and had a lekker lamboud for the rest of the trip.  From there we went through seymore and up the Mitchelles pass, was a lekker fast road, with only little rought sections here and there, this section we waited for everyone to come through:

Will posts some of the other okes pics and video's later
Again that Amarok impressed by the ease it came through here.
We arrived in Hoggsbakc and headed to the camping spot. It was full of tourist and mountain running people, and mountain bikers.

The showers was communal, so we enjoyed the showers, unfortunately, or rather fortunately there was no uncomfortable, oops jammer moments with the tourists, but Corne did enjoy chatting to the hollader girl in front of the mirror while haveing a shower. Anyway, no pics of the showers, but here are some of the night around the camp fire:
Our two braaiers: one for the steaks(Errol, and Johann who did the rum banana's, both doing a great job!

Nog so enetjie:

Offline Jman

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 11:13:44 am »
The next morning there was some mouning about "pale saag" but I slept like a log, knowing from bashes and other trips, you take your earplugs with!
The next morning our group split up, as Thump and Byron had a detour they wnated to take, and AdmiralD and Errol headed back on tar, to other engagments.
Dawi, Johann, me and the amarok team headed to the 4x4 trail between Hoggsback and Keiskamma hoek.
Camp coffy, thanks Johann:

Breakfast:

We spotted this biker statue on a little lookout point:

Lookout to the vally:

Offline Jman

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 11:19:00 am »
Amawie? Amarok!

Johann almost buying some mudd:

Second breakfeast on the 4x4 trail, the Amatola hiking path runs just on the ledge above, we saw some trail runners going past.

KLR innie bos:

Once again, lekker bakkie met sy select or intelegent or something 4 wheel drive.

Verder binne die woud, very nice, and also mase groot bome!

Offline Jman

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 11:25:55 am »
We had to clear a tree here and there, but nothing big:

Waiting for the amarok at the end or the 4x4 trail, they had to clear a couple more tree's than we had to:

Then we headed to Keiskamma hoek:

From there we hit tar upto Beufort West, were we fueled up and headed home.  There was some rain on the horizon, so Dawi thought he would try out his poncho, and because he had his big bluescreen on, we would not get any wind.

So he stopped 100m later to put all the pieces back in the bakkie.  :biggrin:

Offline Jman

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 11:32:38 am »
We headed back on some gravel again, I think it was through a place called Gardners vally or something like that, but it was wet, not pouring just a little mist rain, but enough to let us go slip sliding all over the road. But before the slipping, we had a lekker afternoon lunch break, met die beste ding van die dag... die tweede koppie kapitaal.  :), en did was lekker, baie lekker!:

So off we went, slipping all over, lucky only oh *&%^$ moments no falling,

and eventually got to a very very nice gravel highway, untill we joined the Cradock road between Riebeek east and Grahmstown. Form there we took tarr back to PE as it was getting late, and we stopped to say our goodbye's at Nanaga, and to buy some pies for the wifes:

Offline Jman

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 11:40:09 am »
Dankie aan al die manne wat saamgery het, ook die Amarok span, julle support was baie handig en is baie waardeer.  Ek het nuwe respek vir daai bakkie gekry, dis 'n awesome en gemaklike masjien daai, hy het daai landcruiser se gat geskop op daai 4x4 trail!  :thumleft:  Great om julle saam te gehad het.
Aan die bikers, ek dink dit was ons gebed aan die begin van die trip wat ons deur daai moeilike terein gekry het sonder enige valle, of erenstige beseerings, want ek dink almal het amper affe gehad.  Ons maak weer so  :ricky:

Offline Sakkie

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 11:55:11 am »
Mooi Manne, dit lyk of dit vet pret was!
If it's not broken - ride it until it is!

Offline Admiral D

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 12:14:27 pm »
Wel Jman ons kan mos weer so maak, moet kyk of ons so een keer 'n kwartaal by die Wives verby kan kom of iets ;D of eder as hulle dit toe laat.  ;) Maar dit was great fun en dankie vir die reel. waar heen is die volgende een  :ricky:

Offline Jman

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 12:21:34 pm »
Mooi Manne, dit lyk of dit vet pret was!
Dit was! next time!  :ricky:

Offline Jman

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 12:26:34 pm »
Wel Jman ons kan mos weer so maak, moet kyk of ons so een keer 'n kwartaal by die Wives verby kan kom of iets ;D of eder as hulle dit toe laat.  ;) Maar dit was great fun en dankie vir die reel. waar heen is die volgende een  :ricky:
Janee verseker! Ons het so baie mooi plekke hier naby ons! Miskien moet ons gaan voor jou knoop deur gehaak is!