Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The GSC is open for prev entrants  (Read 5798 times)

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Re: The GSC is open for prev entrants
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2007, 11:29:03 am »
Shark the guy's doing the skills challenge are really good, they are good on any bike.

200 oke's tried when we were there in 2005 the second day only 40 was left and the third day I think 10. It's really something to see some guy's can handle bikes in slow techinical sections very well.

The racer boy's won't make day one >:D ;D

GS-holic

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2007, 12:18:04 pm »

My 2c's

Might it be due to the fact that 95% of BMW owners also have BMW insurance.

I've heard from the grapevine that the BMW Insurance underwriters moaned last year as they had 20 claims, the lowest - R 5k, in the first 20 minutes on the Monday following the GSC........ ::)

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2007, 12:34:49 pm »
I can't see any relation with insurance.

A couple of guys do fall and damage their bikes, but that happens every weekend.
If it is an insurance issue, they should increase the insurance and not carry across to other events. But i do not believe this is the case.

To me the issue with the whole GSC is the numbers. Last year was 600 and there were a lot of complaints from the attendees about catering, toilets, etc. In general i was happy, just thought the routes were a bit tame for green.
This year they want 800, that is a lot of people in one area - sounds like the desert run.

2c

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Flash

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2007, 01:00:39 pm »
R2500 they got to be crazy, 3000km travel ,2 nights accomodation, They must enjoy it .
It is not worth thae type of money, i will do the responsible thing and take the whole family on holiday this year.

Offline BMWPE

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2007, 03:08:40 pm »
They must be smoking something >:D
The GS ripoff !!!
Rallye

Offline Excalibur

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2007, 03:11:24 pm »
Nee wat, hulle moet maar lekker ry hierdie jaar!!!!

Offline BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2007, 03:34:29 pm »
To me its simple.
R2500 just for entry. excluding petrol food etc. one weekend of fun.

i went to http://www.scalemoto.com/ south african co. (not endorsing any products here) :o :o

one times motor bike for the lighty.  8) 8) 8) many weekends of fun another one on the way soon... bike that is. ;D

Before everyone screams AGATT they were posing the Helmut is there somewhere.... O0

was an easy decision for me!
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Metaljockey

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2007, 05:51:10 pm »
Let's not let KTM get away scott free.

The KTM Rallye Raid is R2280.00. And you have zero chance of winning a R135 000.00 bike.

The Alfie Cox Dual Sport Festival comes in at R2000.00. Prizes are mentioned but not specified. No sleeping in tents however. Big plus in my book.

Regarding the GS Challenge Kawasaki riders thing, I posted a report here:  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=8184.0

shark_za

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2007, 06:45:41 pm »
I cant say a thing, I'm a kawa rider and given that queue that is exactly where I would be!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2007, 07:52:46 pm »
What would induce any of the WD people to attend this event? We are a crowd that can do any route we set our minds to doing, we do these routes on our own, or with a group of buddies, or a group of strangers at first that become buddies during the trip, we choose beforehand if we want to camp or stay in fixed accomodation, or a combination of both.
We eat when we want and pretty much what we want to, we drink where and when we see fit, in a pub, on a pavement or around a campfire.
Most of us are self sufficient regarding punctures and other minor mechanical glitches we might encounter along the way.
We don't need to ride in 600 other people's dust all day and we ride with people of known riding skill, no matter what level it is at.
In other words, this forum is not good for the popularity of the GSC, or any other franchised event, because we can do all this ourselves! ;D ;D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Red

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2007, 08:13:58 pm »
What would induce any of the WD people to attend this event? We are a crowd that can do any route we set our minds to doing, we do these routes on our own, or with a group of buddies, or a group of strangers at first that become buddies during the trip, we choose beforehand if we want to camp or stay in fixed accomodation, or a combination of both.
We eat when we want and pretty much what we want to, we drink where and when we see fit, in a pub, on a pavement or around a campfire.
Most of us are self sufficient regarding punctures and other minor mechanical glitches we might encounter along the way.
We don't need to ride in 600 other people's dust all day and we ride with people of known riding skill, no matter what level it is at.
In other words, this forum is not good for the popularity of the GSC, or any other franchised event, because we can do all this ourselves! ;D ;D

Adventurer for president!!!

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2007, 08:15:37 pm »
In this case, "Ignorance is bliss" somehow does not make sense anymore.

Well said, Adv.
He who angers you, controls you.

Steady

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2007, 09:21:48 pm »
I ain't going, never was, busy on that week-end. However I would have liked to have gone just to experience the event. I could have put up with the 600 people and cold food.

However, say what you will the BMW marketing band wagon has got the lot of you sucked into the trap, they will certainly fill the 600 places and those who are not going cannot stop talking about the event, over 600 views on this thread alone, over 100 on the other thread so far! You have to hand it to them, GAGSC or long way down, upside-down, you cannot get enough.

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2007, 11:15:22 pm »

Except fuel   ;D ;D ;D

The KTM Rallye Raid is R2280.00. And you have zero chance of winning a R135 000.00 bike.

Hey MJ - you see !!!  :)  It's cheaper here in gangsters paradise. We only paid 2k for the Rallye Raid
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 11:18:08 pm by Plothond »
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Metaljockey

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2007, 06:42:32 am »
Me thinks your dealer is in for an unpleasant surprise. He didn't notice the +Vat part.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2007, 06:53:31 am »
And you get to buy your KTM branded tent after the weekend for R1000 something. How many tents will have cigarette burns in them after the event?

Offline Xerys

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2007, 07:18:33 am »
When I moved to Cape Town 4 months ago from Namibia I soon realized that there's a "them" (BMW riders) and "us" - non Beemer riders. And then was told that Beemer riders all look look they've come from the same factory - so much for unity amongst the community. Friendly banter I hope...

However, I've now come to the realization as to why - at R2 500.00 it no doubt will deter anyone but the most ardent brand loyalists. I thought I was too, but just realized my idea of brand loyalty was based on hypocrisy! Which means that I can also now stand and be counted as "us".

BMW R1150GS/K1200S

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2007, 08:37:54 am »
And you get to buy your KTM branded tent after the weekend for R1000 something. How many tents will have cigarette burns in them after the event?

I've checked that out
If it's a decent 4 seasons type tent, then it's a good price.
There's a really good MSR tent that I'm looking at and that's well well over 2.5k

I will swop nothing, and I mean nothing for a really decent tent when the weather gets sh_tty. Been there, got the T shirt
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline sillystunt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2007, 10:47:14 am »
what a bunch of whingers!!
it seems its not really the price putting you all off,the challenge that is,
its seems that you all love to hate us bm riders.
i bought a bm purely cause of the back up service,i have ridden bikes all my life and i know the service cant be beaten.
hey,i qualified as a yamaha bike mechanic and know how strong the japs bikes are,and i rode every honda single ever built,but,if i wanted a screw ,nut or bolt,i went to jacks hardware,they had more in stock!!
if alfie offers a new bike as first prize,ill go to his party,untill then i`ll try and win a bm at theirs,
its like a raffle,R2500 a ticket and you have a 800 to 1 shot.
so far i have finished in the top ten in all skill challenges,who knows,one day it may snow !
I JUST LOVE RIDING,WHEN I`M NOT RIDING,I THINK ABOUT RIDING,I`LL RIDE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ANYTIME.
whoops,here comes the boss,gotta go
We miss 100% of the shots we never take.

Offline Ratel

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2007, 11:25:41 am »
what a bunch of whingers!!
it seems its not really the price putting you all off,the challenge that is,
its seems that you all love to hate us bm riders.

SS your theory is flawed.

For me the problems are: big crowd :puke_l: :puke_r:
                                         ridiculous price (R.I.P.O.F.F)
"Stercus accidit..."