Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The GSC is open for prev entrants  (Read 5794 times)

Offline FortyZA

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
Re: The GSC is open for prev entrants
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2007, 12:35:30 pm »
My brother took the time to find out from BMW SA why the cost had increased so much.

This is the reply from Deon Meyer.
Dear ########

Thank you for your comments on the GS Challenge. Please afford me an opportunity to try and put matters into perspective:

The increased cost of participation was one of those things we agonised about for some time. Our dilemma was threefold:

1. The region we are going to did not offer a 'Moolmanshoek' type of venue, and we had to decide: Do we scrap the region with its wonderful scenery and incredible routes (probably the best ever), or pay more for the considerable infrastructure we now have to create. We chose the latter.

2. Because the participation numbers continue to increase rapidly every year, we simply cannot afford to continue subsidising every entrant to the tune of R1 000 per person. The math become staggering: R100 000 for every additional 100 riders To ensure the sustainability of the event, we need to get to a break-even point as soon as possible. That's the main reason for the major jump this year. (We were hoping the growth would be gradual, so we could keep the increases gradual, but it became painfully obvious this simply wasn't happening.)

3. With the addition of Orange Routes, our development cost jumped by a third. Add to this the huge increase in the fuel price lately (the major cost of our development and getting infrastructure to the remote venue) and we had little option.

However, at R2 500, it means R650 per night.  Compared to two new, similar events announced recently and happening within weeks of the GS Challenge, this is pretty fair. The one, representing a competing brand is 3 nights at R2 400 (or R800 per night). The other, open to all brands, is R2 000 for 3 nights, at R666 per night.

Granted the other, branded event includes a tent and mattress, but the bikes in question are not equipped to carry luggage like BMW's are.

Best wishes

Deon Meyer

>:D After reading this, I think that the costs are sort of justified, however once we have been and done the GS Challenge 2007, we will find something to moan about, which is only human nature. I have already entered and paid my money.  >:D
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2007, 12:46:06 pm »
Hmmm interesting to note that he steers clear of giving a proper breakdown of the actual costs.

I wonder how much money out of each person's entry fee is allocated to producing that slick GS Challenge infomercial they produced and showed repeatedly on Supersport last year? I am sure that didn't come cheap.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2007, 12:50:32 pm »
My brother took the time to find out from BMW SA why the cost had increased so much.

This is the reply from Deon Meyer.
Dear ########

Thank you for your comments on the GS Challenge. Please afford me an opportunity to try and put matters into perspective:

The increased cost of participation was one of those things we agonised about for some time. Our dilemma was threefold:

1. The region we are going to did not offer a 'Moolmanshoek' type of venue, and we had to decide: Do we scrap the region with its wonderful scenery and incredible routes (probably the best ever), or pay more for the considerable infrastructure we now have to create. We chose the latter.

2. Because the participation numbers continue to increase rapidly every year, we simply cannot afford to continue subsidising every entrant to the tune of R1 000 per person. The math become staggering: R100 000 for every additional 100 riders To ensure the sustainability of the event, we need to get to a break-even point as soon as possible. That's the main reason for the major jump this year. (We were hoping the growth would be gradual, so we could keep the increases gradual, but it became painfully obvious this simply wasn't happening.)

3. With the addition of Orange Routes, our development cost jumped by a third. Add to this the huge increase in the fuel price lately (the major cost of our development and getting infrastructure to the remote venue) and we had little option.

However, at R2 500, it means R650 per night.  Compared to two new, similar events announced recently and happening within weeks of the GS Challenge, this is pretty fair. The one, representing a competing brand is 3 nights at R2 400 (or R800 per night). The other, open to all brands, is R2 000 for 3 nights, at R666 per night.

Granted the other, branded event includes a tent and mattress, but the bikes in question are not equipped to carry luggage like BMW's are.

Best wishes

Deon Meyer

>:D After reading this, I think that the costs are sort of justified, however once we have been and done the GS Challenge 2007, we will find something to moan about, which is only human nature. I have already entered and paid my money.  >:D

Couple of things stick out here, the one event quoted is including hotel accommodation the other has a tent set up for you....

My view is not the difference betqween the KTM/BM events ...my view is that 2000 or 2500 or for simplistic sake 650 runt a night (excl fuel and dop) is not a cheap event at all...that kinda money takes me 2 days in moz incl fuel, camping, prawns/chicken and beer and i daresay the utility i recieve from spedning my money in moz would be much much higher.

All these events are becoming expensive an as someone earlier did the maths it turns out to be 7k or so for 4 days ...thats ridiculous money ...for 7 k i could toer for a month an still have change to replace a tyre when i got back.

Alfie's event seems to be good value for money if one considers u get a bed thrown in and pillions are half price.

As a whole though i reckon the biking fraternity getting ripped a lil

cheers
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Jock

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2007, 01:58:02 pm »
J >:(ust could get it over my heart to tell the wife last night that we wont be attending the GSC this year, she was so looking forward to it but will have to do it tonight! It will cost me at least 10K to attend and that is just too much for a event of that nature

:-[

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2007, 01:59:55 pm »
I'll wait for the Western Cape annual gathering again (like they had at Nelson's Creek in February).

Looked like fun (and very cool 'private land' rides as well).

Wasn't expensive either ...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Obi -Wan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2007, 03:19:08 pm »
Methinks someone is speaking with a forked tongue as they say in the classics. My personal ( and i stress personal) opinion of Mr. Meyer is that he is a very arrogant person who deludes himself into thinking that he is some type of obergruppenfuhrer in charge of these events. That may be so but we are your client's, treat us with some respect ! Why doesn't someone at BMW Motorrad South Africa tell us what their net profit was in 2006 and then tell me you cannot afford  to subsidise an event like this for your clients who just happen to make you the top selling brand in the country. Reduce your profit by a million or two , make it a free event  ( competitor must get there on his own) and you will sell even more bikes next year by virtue of generating good will on the part of your client. This is not rocket science - simply doing good business.

Many BMW owners have spent in excess of R100,000 ( Some even more ) on their scooters - this is not about whether or not we can afford it or not - we can afford  our BMW's because we looked after what we had in the first place , and not throwing away good after bad. Adventurer is spot on - there is nothing that these guys can offer me in terms of price versus value for money that the true adventurer's on this forum can't do themselves.

To make a comment at the end that the other brands of bikes cannot carry luggage is so ludicrous it does not even warrant a comment. Is he saying that all other lifestyle events like this must always take place in the vicinity of a hotel? Engage your brain before opening your mouth!

Real Men ride a Pig !

Offline Jock

• Race Dog
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2007, 04:27:25 pm »
I totally agree Obi-wan, it not a case of if I can afford it or not, but more about advertising for BMW. I've been telling every new person on a GS how lekker it was last year and that they should attend, and when meeting people on other makes of adventure bikes that they must consider getting a BMW because of what BMW does for their supporters. Not anymore!

Was going to wait for the 800gs before upgrading to a bigger bike but am considering looking around in the orange stable!

BTW, what does it cost to attend other normal rallies? I know with other rallies their is no costs involved in recce routes etc. but maybe BMW should pay their "elite route recce qualified instructors holier than though" less money. Heard rumors of what they earn and its scary!

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2007, 05:01:31 pm »

Do these oke's actually live in this world or in some other world where there's only BMW bikes?

That was a low blow if ever, and that form BOSS man himself.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 08:28:18 pm by michnus »

shark_za

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2007, 06:59:25 pm »
hahaha, take that!

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2007, 08:29:44 pm »
Go laugh at your red school bus HAHAHA

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2007, 09:31:51 pm »
Methinks Deon Meyer is now opening his mouth to change feet...... BMWs are the only bikes that can handle luggage.....KARK!
Why then do most serious adventure riders opt for aftermarket alu luggage, any make of bike?
Just because BMW is the only brand to have it's own specific luggage system he thinks it is the only bike that can handle luggage. Perhaps we should send him a few pics of some heavily laden KTMs of Honda TAs, even a KLR loaded to the hilt, you know, those KLR riders that get pissed on the pavement..... ;D ;D

At the end of the day we all have a choice, can we afford to do the 2007 GSC? Probably, do we want to spend that type of money on this event? Totally up to the individual.
Is it a rip-off? Depends on how you like to spend money.
Does Deon Meyer know what he is talking about? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!! ;D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

GS-holic

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2007, 07:49:07 am »
Went to the hugely propagated BMW AG in Vic West earlier this year and it will be my last attendance of any BMW event.  Although the entrance/registration did not cost a fortune , the actual event was nothing as made out to be on the website.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2007, 07:53:31 am »
Gs-holic, what did you expect, have you ever got the hamburger that looks like the pic on the Wimpy menu, or the Spur menu? Looks good on the menu with fresh tomatoes and salad, the one you get, 5 people before you had the same tomato on their plate and 5 different steak dressing on it.

Offline seanred

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kingwilliamstown
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2007, 08:48:38 am »
Went to the hugely propagated BMW AG in Vic West earlier this year and it will be my last attendance of any BMW event.  Although the entrance/registration did not cost a fortune , the actual event was nothing as made out to be on the website.

+1

GS-holic

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2007, 10:04:49 am »
Gs-holic, what did you expect, have you ever got the hamburger that looks like the pic on the Wimpy menu, or the Spur menu? Looks good on the menu with fresh tomatoes and salad, the one you get, 5 people before you had the same tomato on their plate and 5 different steak dressing on it.

:D at least @ Whimpy you get a tamato even if its a bit pap  ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 10:05:33 am by GS-holic »

Offline Ballies

• Cut me loose
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • KTM 950 Adventure Rules!!
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2007, 10:49:31 am »
I'm not going to either of the events but i think Alfie Cox is going to kick ass!!! i will attend next years KTM DS event.
I think it is a privilege to be instructed/guided by such a Rally Guru and the fact that ANY DS make is welcome.

O0
I want a shark with a frikken laser beam

masehare

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2007, 11:14:31 am »
To make a comment at the end that the other brands of bikes cannot carry luggage is so ludicrous it does not even warrant a comment.

Sort of reminds me of the comment about Kawa riders and pavements and drinking. Doesn't George Bush also keep on putting his foot in his mouth?

Anyway, at the next Wilddog bash we'll show him that BM riders CAN get gesuip on pavements - much better than Kawa riders can do it.    ;D ;D ;D ;D  >:D >:D >:D

Offline Jock

• Race Dog
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2007, 11:25:36 am »
 ;Dand a wimpy burger doesnt double in price each year!

Offline sillystunt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2007, 12:55:32 pm »
hi guys.
just to confirm.i did a little bit of snooping and yes the venue has absolutely no running water,no electric and no cell phone coverage.
all the water thats to be used in the showers,toilets and to drink has to be taken in by truck.a cell phone company has been asked to set up a temp tower.
the logistics of getting a 1000 people fed and waterd are huge.
when last did you ride in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE.
c`mon,its gonna be fun.
We miss 100% of the shots we never take.

Steady

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2007, 01:23:57 pm »
when last did you ride in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE.

Two weeks ago, less than 400 za's.