Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The GSC is open for prev entrants  (Read 5795 times)

Offline freakonaleashh

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
Re: The GSC is open for prev entrants
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2007, 02:20:32 pm »
Im crying, I am paying, I am going, its neither here nor there, gonna rock the Challenge with my XChallenge (pun intended). Hey sillystunt see you there bru!
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline CrazyPorra

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • The Mutton Man
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2007, 02:34:02 pm »
SS, seeing that this is an adventure why do you need running water and cell phone coverage, if this is what is needed for the adventure then save your money and stay home.  ;D

Spending a few days with like minded people can only be a jol, especially if you can sit on the pavement and drink a few ale's. Cost definetly weighs on how much fun you going to have.

shark_za

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2007, 02:34:16 pm »
Are they allowing the X bikes in?  Or only GS?

Oppad

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2007, 02:36:51 pm »
Gs-holic, what did you expect, have you ever got the hamburger that looks like the pic on the Wimpy menu, or the Spur menu? Looks good on the menu with fresh tomatoes and salad, the one you get, 5 people before you had the same tomato on their plate and 5 different steak dressing on it.

Only in East London, Michnus, only in East London...it's time to get out of the sticks  - remember those airport snacks we had in E.L? I'll treat you to a decent looking Spur burger with fresh tomato when you're in C.T. again.  :) :)

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2007, 02:55:53 pm »
Been delaying commenting on the thread but my perspective from someone that fully intended going, in fact booked my leave in Feb already:
1.  R 2500 per person for 3 days is excessive especially given that no accommodation is included.  My sums says that a budget of R 100 per person per day can provide luxury meals (R 300 total); add another R 50 per person per day for infrastructure (water, toilets and the like (another R 150); camping fees R 30 per person (given no infrastructure) (another R 90); general support (medical, admin etc) another R 50 per person per day (R 150); sundries another R 20 per person per day (R 60) and I end up with a sum total of R 750 per person for the 3 days, round that up because I forgot stuff such as sponsoring the purchase of the prize, and end up with R 1000 per person.  That leaves R 1 500 per person unexplained.
2.  This is a marketing event, the bulk of the people involved are BMW employees and their expenses have already been factored into the prices we pay for our bikes, their services and parts.  In fact based on past events the amount of publicity they get is huge.
3.   I am damn sure that the advertising value that they gained in the previous events does not reflect as a profit entry in the profit and loss sheet that they used to calculate the "loss" or R 1000 per entrant, just as I am sure that the sponsored bikes are reflected a losses (effectively requiring entrants to sponsor people abusing the bikes).  
4.  The total cost of attending is disporportionate, 4 days traveling there and back with travel costs along the way, 10 days of leave spent to participate in a 3 day event, R 2 500 attendance (excluding drink and other items), R 2 500 spent for a new set of TKC's (gone after traveling and participating) cost of any repairs required as a result of participation and half distance between services.  Guestimate cost for me and Red, cash R 16 000 and 20 days of leave.

Given the above I would seriously suggest someone has lost touch with their customers and are of the opinion that they are attempting to turn an advertising event into a profit center.  If this is the style, I will not be attending this or any future GSC's.  Can have a more of a jol in Bots, Nam or Moz for the same amount of money and the leave days that I will have to use.
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2007, 03:52:02 pm »
The only real concern here is the cost to attend the GSc, in it self is fun and a great event. The guy's on this forum  thatā??s moaning are only .005% of their current client base, so they really won't worry if more people feel this way because they will fill up the camp with willing participants.

It is a simple choice if you canā??t afford or donā??t want to warrant spending money on such an event donā??t go. But the reason itā??s still being done and KTM getting on the band wagon is simple demand and supply. The Wilddog bash is in essence also such an event same as Alfie Cox

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2007, 04:02:34 pm »
The Wilddog bash is in essence also such an event same as Alfie Cox

although, no profit stands to be made of it.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2007, 04:20:28 pm »

Ye sorry, and we hang out with all sorts of palookas :D

Offline >Herman<

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2007, 04:23:33 pm »

Wie noem jy 'n palooka???  Sharkie gaan nie daarvan hou nie!  ;D

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2007, 04:28:05 pm »
is ek 'n pal ook asseblief??

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2007, 05:10:01 pm »
The only real concern here is the cost to attend the GSc, in it self is fun and a great event. The guy's on this forum  thatā??s moaning are only .005% of their current client base, so they really won't worry if more people feel this way because they will fill up the camp with willing participants.

Might only be 0.05 % but the concensus is that its an expensive excercise, i am reasonbly sure the same ratio of yay/nay sayers will extrapolate to the broad population.

however as you say they will prolly fill it and next year it will be 3k or 3.5k ...alternatively it turns into a disaster from a financial point of view an next year BM rethink their strategy...  but this is ZA ,ppl will pay and smile while they eat their cold mealies
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2007, 05:33:29 pm »

Yes! All members welcome! Even Kawasaki riders  ;D

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »
Easy solution, we download the gps track that they publish just before the event, and we go ride the route another time, without 700+ bikes making dust. The venue must be near some sort of town that we could camp at.
AND all makes of bike could go.
AND I don't have to eat a cold mielie with a smile..... ;D ;D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline peter stuyvesant

« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2007, 06:07:34 pm »
I think that R2500 is a bargain if "Oom Klippie" the geologist is going to give another one of his brilliant talks on stones ans rocks!!!

I personaly enjoyed the Baviaans bash 100% more than the GSC. Best part of the GSC was leaving early.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2007, 06:09:36 pm »
I think that R2500 is a bargain if "Oom Klippie" the geologist is going to give another one of his brilliant talks on stones ans rocks!!!

I personaly enjoyed the Baviaans bash 100% more than the GSC. Best part of the GSC was leaving early.

Damn, I forgot about Oom Loog, (Oom Klippie) I think I should reconsider my entry decision. ;D ;D ;D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • bwk
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2007, 07:37:00 pm »
Easy solution, we download the gps track that they publish just before the event, and we go ride the route another time, without 700+ bikes making dust. The venue must be near some sort of town that we could camp at.
AND all makes of bike could go.
AND I won't eat a cold mielie with a smile..... ;D ;D

Fixed!  ;D

Michus, agree the cost is an issue, but the point that I was trying to make is, look at the total cost of which the money is only one element, the fact that their timing ends up slap bang in the middle of a 10 day holiday for me is indicative of a the fact that they are not considering the customers at all, this after the explanation that it was moved in consideration of their Jewish customers.  The reality is that for the organisers the timing (in the middle of the week) is considered working, they don't have to take leave while it does not screw up their long weekend!  In my opinion the cost element that most irks me is the fact that it screws up a 10 day holiday if I should go.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 10:36:13 pm by Adventurer »

Offline BMWPE

• Race Dog
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2007, 09:36:20 pm »
This GS challenge thread has Piss--d a lot of us of concerning the price this year
And a lot of others i have spoken to.

Lets all send Mr D Meyer a e-mail telling him how we feel to: >:(

webmaster@bmwmotorrad.co.za
Rallye

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2007, 10:08:58 pm »
BMWPE, why tell them anything? You know the area and EC for example, it's a beautiful place with tremendous riding opportunities to organise the most spectacular rides.
I have proposed it before and we can arrange our own rides with all the back-up if people wish for it. You don't need to go to their or any other branded event, all D/S bikes even smaller trail bikes welcome.

The reason why BMW always have it in the Karoo, is it's central for most of their clients. They do this for their clients same as KTM, good for them. It should be like that.

Some people, I included, enjoy the company of the different kind bike brand riders and that they are from all walks of life, rich, poor, palookas, clever or just ;D........well whatever, and we don't have to pay the cost associated with a branded event.

The other thing is there's a boss man hanging around to check that people don't get out of line. Because it's a company event, people must act and behave all to pretty because they will harm the brand image of the company, can you think if Huisgenoot and You gets a saucy bad story of BMW gutter drinkers? And this change the whole essence of a D/S event, KTM is going to deal with the same.

Last years bash we got away without serious injuries ;D Well it will still take some time to get over Killroy's snoring ;D

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 10:11:13 pm by michnus »

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2007, 10:38:18 pm »
BMWPE, why tell them anything? You know the area and EC for example, it's a beautiful place with tremendous riding opportunities to organise the most spectacular rides.
I have proposed it before and we can arrange our own rides with all the back-up if people wish for it. You don't need to go to their or any other branded event, all D/S bikes even smaller trail bikes welcome.

Some people, I included, enjoy the company of the different kind bike brand riders and that they are from all walks of life, rich, poor, palookas, clever or just ;D........well whatever, and we don't have to pay the cost associated with a branded event.

Well said!  8)

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • bwk
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2007, 06:10:22 am »

Well said!  8)

Yeah, but .... we have to put up with the Honda riders!  :o :o >:D >:D ;D ;D