Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Riding through traffic. WTF?!  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Redline1

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Riding through traffic. WTF?!
« on: November 03, 2011, 07:49:45 am »
What di speed is acceptable to ride between lanes through traffic? On the odd accasion I use the bike to work - yesterday for example. I think a safe speed is maximum 40kph, not that I look at the speedo much, but when I do get a chance to look it is usually between 30 and 40. I get pissed off with scooters and the odd superbike that comes screaming up behind me as if I'm the one riding like a twatwaffle. I try to find a gap between the cars and pull over so they can pass but I'm not surprised when I sometimes see scooters involved in accidents, last night on the way home I was almost taken out by one because I didnt move over fast enough. Am I just getting too old to ride????
Chinese proverb: 讀萬卷書不如行萬里路
Reading ten thousand books is not as useful as travelling ten thousand miles

Offline lecap

Re: Riding through traffic. WTF?!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 07:52:14 am »
No. But you'll still be riding in 10 and 20 years just like me. They won't ::)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Race Dog
  • Splash!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 07:55:14 am »
My speed when splitting is never more than 40.  I don't feel comfortable going faster.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:08:22 am »
The recommended speed is 20km's over the speed that the vechicles are traveling... (from a multitude of sources), most of us are comfortable with 30 - 40 km's over... much more than that is IMO stupid. 
I have had car doors opened in front of me, pedestrians running through traffic, etc, and I have managed to miss all these obstacles... I have however seen other riders not quite miss...

Thank you, I'll stay riding at my pace and the suicidal idiots can just wait behind till I can safely move over for them...
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline TheAnt

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:10:53 am »
The recommended speed is 20km's over the speed that the vechicles are traveling... (from a multitude of sources), most of us are comfortable with 30 - 40 km's over... much more than that is IMO stupid. 
I have had car doors opened in front of me, pedestrians running through traffic, etc, and I have managed to miss all these obstacles... I have however seen other riders not quite miss...

Thank you, I'll stay riding at my pace and the suicidal idiots can just wait behind till I can safely move over for them...

AGREE!  :thumleft:

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:16:21 am »
Had a good chuckle yesterday. KTM690R doing stoppies at the intersection between the cars. Pulls off -> back wheel followed by another stoppie. He had the talent and it was good to watch, but eish puppie, when things go wrong - gonna be ugly, especially if you're wearing short pants as he did :ricky:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline AntonDP

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:21:23 am »

AGREE!  :thumleft:

+1.  Faster than 40km/h than the traffic is just stupid.

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 08:22:26 am »
Had a good chuckle yesterday. KTM690R doing stoppies at the intersection between the cars. Pulls off -> back wheel followed by another stoppie. He had the talent and it was good to watch, but eish puppie, when things go wrong - gonna be ugly, especially if you're wearing short pants as he did :ricky:

On our way to work, we have a guy on a Buell (that swanky totally naked thing) that does that, and he has the cutest ass, only tooo nice to look at for us girls!  
But one of these days... he's really gonna look stupid, and then he'll have to take his helmet off, and then our dreams will be smashed... 'cos right now, he's still a man we drool over...

;D
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Race Dog
  • Splash!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 08:23:16 am »
For me, even if the traffic is moving at 30km/h, I don't feel safe going more than 40.  And I try not to lane split when the traffic is moving at or close to the speed limit.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 08:25:58 am »

On our way to work, we have a guy on a Buell (that swanky totally naked thing) that does that, and he has the cutest ass, only tooo nice to look at for us girls!  
But one of these days... he's really gonna look stupid, and then he'll have to take his helmet off, and then our dreams will be smashed... 'cos right now, he's still a man we drool over...

;D

hey    its me

ok  no its not   :-[
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 08:31:00 am »
I also think 20KM/h faster than the cars is acceptable.I pull over if others want to go faster.
Had a tjop yesterday near Paddocks coming from town ,decides he is not too keen to stop for a red robot so he hops up onto the pavement on his chinese 150 and uses the bicycle and pedestrian path!!!!!I pull him over at Sunset Beach and ask him WTF,he reckons bikes are allowed there.
There was no point arguing further ,Iwas clearly gonna lose against that logic.
Then this morning I see a taxi using the IRT bus lane,WTF!!!!!!!!
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 08:34:04 am »

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 08:38:11 am »
I go 10 to 20 km/h faster than the traffic moves.

Depending on the circuimstances obviously.

When all of us start moving over 60 (in peak hour) I start considering going into a normal lane and riding like a car.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline DirtHound

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • If you don't know Jesus, don't die!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 08:43:33 am »

When all of us start moving over 60 (in peak hour) I start considering going into a normal lane and riding like a car.

Agree!  :thumleft:
Previous bikes: '81 XR500;  CBR400 NC23;  '85 XR600;  '97 VTR1000;  '91 KDX200;  '85 XR600;  '97 XR600;  '01 XR650R;  '06 CTX200   :paw:
PE to Cape Town on the XR  |  XR Pigfest  |  Anniversary ride - Old Houw Hoek Pass

Offline domstes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 08:47:05 am »

About the same with me.

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 08:47:46 am »

I was wondering how long it will take for these gentlemen to do the inevitable.  :)

If these types don't feel the FULL brunt of the law then, by osmosis, their lawlessness will quickly spread in their ranks.

This is going to be good, because mrs. De Lille and Zille won't take their kak.  :mwink:
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Naadus

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 08:52:34 am »
When in traffic, I ride my bike as if it were a car. No lane splitting, no crazy speeds, no stupid overtaking moves, etc.

Not that I commute that much with the bike...

Offline domstes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 08:53:52 am »

I was wondering how long it will take for these gentlemen to do the inevitable.  :)

If these types don't feel the FULL brunt of the law then, by osmosis, their lawlessness will quickly spread in their ranks.

This is going to be good, because mrs. De Lille and Zille won't take their kak.  :mwink:

I sincerely hope they get dealt with harshly.

I was actually wondering who will be the first transgressors, a taxi or a civil servant's other half in a big SUV.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 08:54:38 am »
When in traffic, I ride my bike as if it were a car. No lane splitting, no crazy speeds, no stupid overtaking moves, etc.

In JHB it will be worse, but here in CT it is bad enough with the peak hour traffic that my 1200's clutch will not like that riding style one bit.

Been commuting daily with a bike on the N1 now since 1994

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 08:55:47 am »

In JHB it will be worse, but here in CT it is bad enough with the peak hour traffic that my 1200's clutch will not like that riding style one bit.

Been commuting daily with a bike on the N1 now since 1994

Only talking about lane splitting though.
Still no crazy speeds or stupid overtaking moves...

;D