Welcome to Wild Dog Adventure Riding
"come ride Southern Africa"

Forum Time : October 23, 2014, 12:04:15 pm
Bike and Quad Tyre Fitment Centre Safari 4x4 - 4x4 And Motorcycle Products and Services World of Accesories - Based in Randburg and Centurion;WOA boasts a massive range of on / off road accessories and spares for two wheels or four from the world\'s best manufacturers. 4x4 Direct AmpSA On- & Off-Road Hardware for Motorbikes Bling King - stuff for your ride
HomeHelpCalendarLoginRegisterNew PostsNew RepliesWild Dog Shop Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Say your Say.... Tell us about your view of dual sport riding... http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?board=204.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike  (Read 4998 times)
mtbbiker

Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400

Meerkat V2.0

View Profile
Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike on: December 13, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Let me first start at the beginning. I always wanted a bike that I can play with at the weekend but also take on a longer trip.
The following is the start of an attempt to create the ultimate Lightweight Adventure Bike that fit my requirements.
Since there is nothing on the market (In my opinion that offers this) this makes me the Leader in that market  mwink
(Note my definition of lightweight Adventure Bike is anything smaller than 500cc so Yes the KTM Oryx does NOT count! )

PS: Since the KTM guys call their 690 the Oryx, I decided to also give mine an African flavour, so I called it the Meerkat Roll Eyes

The main reason to start this project is to make the ride more comfortable, doing plus 110 kpa on a stock standard DRZ for more than 100km is NOT fun.
So I decided it needs a fairing, like what is used in the Dakar. View thread for more info: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=54687.msg1709922#msg1709922

So lets get to it

The plan is to ultimately build the final product out of fibreglas (Or even out of PVC sheeting)
The biggest challenge at the moment is to find the correct lights.
I am looking at 90mm Hella driving lights - they off a twin combination with Low beam and high beam. The problem is that they use an H9 bulb that is 65W. The standard DRZ is H3 and 55W.
The ultimate solutionn will be HID. If you have any ideas or solutions please let me know.

It all started with a Paper template.

I then traced this onto Komatex sheets, cut them out and started bending:

Build the first prototype

mock-up view

Close up of second prototype

I then took it for a test ride to find out if there is any protection from the wind

More pictures

Fitted the perspex screen

TODO:
1. Fabricate the bracket and fit to frame ( I have a bolt on solution!)
2. Fit lights.
3. Paint the fairing (Please help with ideas!)
4. Complete the fibreglas mold

As I progress I will post and give you all an update.

Any help with the light will be appreciated !

Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0
braamn

Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)

Lover of old things.

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:34:32 pm

Wow that could be a really cool project, going to be a cool result!!

2013 KTM Duke 690 R
1962 Lambretta Li 150(Sold)
1973 Honda MT 250 Elsinore (Sold)
1982 Honda Cx500 Brat Style (Sold)2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer (Sold)
2003 Ktm 300 EXC (sold) 1999 Yamaha Wr 250 (Sold) 1996 KTM 625 Adventure (sold)
braamn

Lover of old things.

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 10:43:41 pm

I reckon the lights off a Madass 125 will be perfect for this application..

Maybe you can find out the price on a unit from the SA importer..

2013 KTM Duke 690 R
braamn

Lover of old things.

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 10:44:51 pm

apologies for the multiple posts..

here is a close up..

2013 KTM Duke 690 R
Chris_M

Bike: AJS (all models)

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 10:50:49 pm

DONT!!
I had a brief rush o blood to the head and bought a madass, the lights are shite, they popped out from wheelying Huh?
DJ

Bike: Suzuki DR650

Member of the SSS

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 07:22:46 am

Hey mtbbiker,

Your DRZ "Meerkat" looks really great, awesome job.  icon_thumleft

How did your test run go?

Previously owned: Vuka RM200, Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650, Suzuki DRZ400E, Kawasaki KLE500, Suzuki DR350

mtbbiker

Meerkat V2.0

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 07:23:11 am

I have the serial numbers of HB and LB Hella lights and they look very similiar. I will visit a few part stores today Grin

DONT!!
I had a brief rush o blood to the head and bought a madass, the lights are shite, they popped out from wheelying Huh?

Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0
mtbbiker

Meerkat V2.0

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 07:26:51 am

Hey mtbbiker,

Your DRZ "Meerkat" looks really great, awesome job.  icon_thumleft

How did your test run go?
Even though its just a prototype and not yest solidly fixed to the frame it worked very well. I currently have a Dakar screen fitted that works very well in keeping the wind of your chest. This screen is a bit higher icon_thumleft and a bit more forward which is a bonus for doing technical stuff - You don't hit the screen with the helmet when you are standing on the pegs  Wink

slicknick

Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650

Adventure est de inveniens tuis interioribus spiri

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:31:17 am

Cool job, this is going to be interessting  icon_thumleft

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee
DJ

Bike: Suzuki DR650

Member of the SSS

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 07:32:00 am

Awesome!! Thanks for the feedback.

Definately would want to upgrade my DRZ to a Meerkat!!

Previously owned: Vuka RM200, Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650, Suzuki DRZ400E, Kawasaki KLE500, Suzuki DR350

Wildcoast

Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 07:33:11 am

Looks like a nice project, keep posting.
How does the cost of building a fairing compare to buying one?
mtbbiker

Meerkat V2.0

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 08:15:08 am

Looks like a nice project, keep posting.
How does the cost of building a fairing compare to buying one?
So far only based on material used for the protype less than R1500. Lights will probably be in the region of R1100 if I use a brand like Hella. I am not sure what fibreglas materials will cost. Buying a fairing wasn't an option. The only one's I could find was over R10K. Superfoxi here on the forum have KTM640 fibreglas fairing that is in the region of R2500-3000. Then you still have to source lights and the frame bracket

Wildcoast

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 08:27:44 am

Did you look at the lynx fairing?

Shjo so about 3k verse 10k is a no brainer, Besides a custom job always looks the part, are you going to get a long range tank at any stage? That may affect the fairing design.

I have a fairing but am going the reverse route by getting rid of the accursed rattling monster
Jacko
Forum Whore

Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)

"Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 08:29:21 am

Wow, your skills (not to mention your problem-solving ability) is impressive - and you're still only at the mock-up/prototype stage.

Serious respect and good luck.  icon_thumleft

"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann
Wildcoast

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 08:34:43 am

Subscribed
DeepBass9
2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR

Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom

Forum Vendor

View Profile WWW
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 08:39:26 am

I am looking at 90mm Hella driving lights - they off a twin combination with Low beam and high beam. The problem is that they use an H9 bulb that is 65W. The standard DRZ is H3 and 55W.

Is there not something available in LED which draws less power? YOu can definitely replace your rear light with LED to gain a few watts of spare capacity.
Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:43:56 am by DeepBass9 Logged

letsgofishing
Forum Whore

Sedgefield, Garden Route

View Profile WWW
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 08:42:42 am

Great project - definitley subscribed!
Pity the fairing can't me made from the same sort of "plastic" as the standard panels - it's really tough and when (if) you drop it, you hardly notice it.
With fibreglass, you stand the risk of cracking/breaking it.

There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com
SheBangGu
Wara...wara...fishpaste.....

Bike: KTM 990 Adventure

RSM se nagmerrie

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 10:58:17 am

Subscribed

KTM 990 Adv
Walkaway

Bike: BMW R1200GS

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 11:00:50 am

What would life be like if we had no courage to attempt anything ?
madmax

Bike: Rotax (all models)

I may be MAD but it MAX no difference

View Profile
Re: Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 02:23:30 pm

sub ...

fornicate the proletariat
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length