Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sani Pass – Lesotho. Here we go again. KLRFegen: Ride Report.  (Read 2135 times)

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
Sani Pass – Lesotho. Here we go again. KLRFegen: Ride Report.
« on: December 21, 2011, 09:07:54 pm »
For photos of the trip please click the following link: http://s754.photobucket.com/albums/xx184/jacoboos/Lesotho%20Des%202011/

The Prep

So after coming back from my solo trip through the top half of Lesotho I posted my RR and showed a few photos to a few people. Suddenly my boss went and bought a KLR and soon after a friend of ours bought a DR650. One Friday night at a braai the two newbies asked me to arrange a trip up and through Lesotho. Been the hero I thought I was, I was quick to agree and started the planning. They set the dates and I planned around those dates.
I posted on the Wild Dogs site what my plan was and soon after that post I had a number of strangers agree to join me on this trip. Our plan was simple, up Sani, through the middle of Lesotho and then onto the Afriski road home via Buth-Buthe. Simple, easy...if only...I kakked off trying to keep up with these ballies who ride like they were born on bikes.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:48:45 am by KLR650Fegen »
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
Re: Sani Pass – Here we go again. Words of KLRFegen: Ride Report.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 09:10:13 pm »
Day 1
Friday morning we all met up at the Total petrol station on the N3. I didn’t sleep the night before because I was excited and I was also suffering from a major headache, one of those behind the eye jobs that makes you want to bash your head against a wall. The two newbies who the ride was actually planned for dropped out on the morning due to personal reasons (Boxing matches started with the wives – guess the wives won). So there I was travelling with a group of guys I had never met before. To be honest  I was very annoyed with my mates for dropping me at the last minute  and if it wasn’t for the Wild Dog guys keeping to their word I would have gone home and spent the long weekend with my ladies. I’m very social but I struggle talking with people I have just met because of my stutter so for me to get to know 9 new guys was going to be a challenge.

With hindsight it was the best thing that could have happened. The group of guys I was travelling with turned out to be super gentleman and awesome riders. For the first time in a long time I was spending my day with people who were like minded and enjoyed the things I enjoyed. Motor bikes are awesome and it’s amazing how talking bikes and adventures just breaks down those initial barriers. I also enjoyed the maturity of the group and there was no late night boozing or stupidity. If I was with my mates I don’t think I would have got to know these Wild Dog guys the way I did.

Interesting little side story, Dave or SuperDave on the forum grew up with my mom and my uncles in South Hills. He knows my entire family very well, and turns out he could have been my dad at some point had my mother not been so harragat...ha ha ha. How is that for a small world and we met through the Wild Dogs website. Amazing.

Anyway day one was easy, all I had to do was keep up with Paul on his Honda Africa Twin. Piece of cake. Paul became our unofficial lead dog because he just seemed to know more about Lesotho than anyone else I spoke to. I asked him to plan the ride and the route and he did so with alot more detail and success then I ever could have dreamed too. I just looked at the map and thought “That route would be cool”, Paul looked at the map and said “That route would be even cooler...

I can’t remember much of the route except it was really pretty and I enjoyed it, there was one patch of dirt were I almost wiped badly. I entered some dirt and instead of keeping the throttle open I panicked and closed the petrol off. This was the wrong thing to do because I lost control of the front wheel and the bike got hold of a rut  and just shot off to the right. I was heading for the edge of the cliff and I closed my eyes and was just waiting to hear a bang, I had visions of me going over the edge. Fortunately for me I have a few guardian angels who take special care of me because my throttle hand suddenly twisted up and my backside pulled to the right hand side and I powered the green machine out of the rut and back onto the road. This bit of motorcycle mastery was all done with closed eyes and me screaming “oh f*ck, oh f*ck” rather loudly in my helmet. But if anyone else asks about it I was meaning to do that and I had control of the bike at all times.

At one point heading down to Himeville I was picking up some major speed, I was enjoying the gravel and the new T63’s I put on the Green Machine were doing a fantastic job chowing up the dirt. Suddenly Uncle Schalk (who I am sure is a former Recce for the SADF) came flying past me as if I was standing still. We came to a blind bend in the road and suddenly there was a white bakkie heading in the same direction as Schalk.

I will be honest, I don’t know what happened. One second Schalk was there the next I just saw dust. He went down and he went down hard. The white bakkie missed me by about half a foot. I pulled up next to Schalk and saw he was starting to stand up. I swung the bike around and started chasing the white bakkie. I was angry not only because of what happened but because the driver of the bakkie didn’t even stop to see if Schalk was alright or even if Schalk was alive. I pulled the driver and his 2 passengers over and gave them a serious revving with a lot of swearing. The driver didn’t give a crap and it looked as if they were all drunk. After a few minutes I realised I wasn’t getting anywhere with this guy and just told him to “F*ck off” I pulled the bike around and headed back to where Schalk fell.

When I got there he was up and trying to fix his Yamaha. He had a serious limp and looked like he was in pain. The bike looked okay for what had just happened and the boys were making a plan to get it moving again. I took some photos of the slide and moved on because the boys looked like they had everything under control. Later that night while sitting in the pub I looked at the photos and with hindsight I think Schalk was a bit far on the right of the road.

I honestly thought Schalk would pull out of the trip the following day because of his injuries. I was shocked to see the old trooper load his bike the following morning  and take that Yamaha up Sani.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:44:57 pm by KLR650Fegen »
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:12:59 pm »
Day 2

Saturday was cool, I woke up in my tent, pushed out  a few early morning farts and then opened the tent zip to let some fresh mountain air in. I got up had a stretch and breathed in the Himeville farming air. Wow...cow poo...mmm

I then had a prayer, opened my bible and read a few versus and prayed for a safe day for myself and the other riders. I was starting to feel a little nervous about Sani, my stomach was starting to get a few butterfly’s and I could feel my senses sharpening and my mind focusing on what was lying ahead. I also knew today would be a challenge to keep up with Paul and the other lads. I would have to up my game and make sure my dirt riding was spot on form. Here we go...I love a challenge before breakfast.

Hey Sani was tough, I saw Dave at the bottom and wished him luck on his accent. His DR was acting up and he lost his exhaust the day before, his back shock was also gone and I wasn’t surprised to hear that he pulled out and went home. I think with hindsight that was the best move he could have made because the road to Katse dam had about 20 mini Sani hills and I don’t think the DR would have made it much further than Mokhotlong.

Almost at the top of Sani I found myself riding behind Schalk (The Toppie Terminator)  he was winding that little Yammie up the pass and I remember sitting behind him been impressed by his riding style. My thoughts were “jeez this ballie can handle, he hasn’t put his legs down once on this summit”, on the other hand I had both legs hanging off the side of the bike and I was doing everything in my power to ensure I didn’t stall the KLR. I knew if I stopped here I was never going to get the wheels moving again and that little Green Machine is heavy when you try pick her up.

Suddenly Schalk went over, bang!!

He was under the bike and because of his injuries couldn’t move. I jumped off the KLR and ran to help Schalk, his XT tank was leaking fuel from the cap and I tried picking it up. We were on a serious hill and I couldn’t even move the bike. Sithe our other rider on a GS came to help and we finally managed to get the bike up. He jumped on the XT and we pushed him up the hill, it was a mission and if it wasn’t for Sithe been such a good rider I don’t think we would have got that XT going as quick as we did.

I asked Schalk if he was okay and he said he was, he made a comment about how he couldn’t put his legs down because of the pain he was in and that is why he fell over. I felt like a bit of a twatwaffle because when I was riding behind him I thought he wasn’t putting his legs down because he was such a good rider, I didn’t realise at the time that he was riding like that because he was in major pain. What a toppie, hard as nails.

I made up my mind that there would be a cold beer waiting for him when he got to the Sani pub.

Jupiter and I got to the top of Sani first and headed for the border post. We were stamped in and I went straight for the pub. I wanted a beer.

While sitting at the top having a chat with the boys I saw a Tenere coming up the pass, behind it was what I thought at the time a little 125cc been ridden by a young lady. She was handling just fine when almost at the top the bike cut out. She attempted to start it again and made a few meters and it died, the bike started rolling backwards almost sending her off the edge. Her dad grabbed the bike, he then started pushing her up the hill. Each attempt ended in the little bike cutting out. I decided to go down and help them. I got behind the little bike and pushed it up the hill, the lady rider opened her up and just as it sounded like it was going to cut out I gave a big push and shouted at her to just go...off she went up the hill and into Lesotho. Job done!!

I made my way back to the deck and thought I was going to die. My heart was pumping and I couldn’t breathe.  Since I was stabbed a few years ago my gym time has been reduced to zero but I just couldn’t believe how knackered and how unfit I have become. I was gasping for air but there just wasn’t enough of it to go around. My lungs were screaming, my heart was pumping and my little 65kg frame was yelling at me “What the hell are you doing you blithering  idiot, pushing bikes up hills at this altitude, you’re not 25 years old anymore...bloody chop”. I used to be a serious gym boy and I was shocked at how out of shape I actually am at the moment...I will go back to gym...
tomorrow...
perhaps...
I’ve become accustomed to beer and watching TV from my coach... :imaposer:

The rest of the days riding was challenging but fun. I lost the guys in the front of the pack rather early in the ride, the roads were tough and full of loose stones and gravel. There were up hills followed by steep down hills. I really learnt to ride on this trip and my riding skills have improved 120%. Lesotho is a steep learning curve and I enjoyed the challenge.

When we got to Katse Dam I was stuffed. I opted for a room and took some flak from the boys for been such a softie. I commended Schalk again for been such a trooper.

Oh funny story, while heading for Katse dam I lost the boys in the front, I couldn’t keep up with them. I was riding and riding and riding and saw no one. I was also waiting to see if the guys behind me would finally catch me. No one came,  that same little panicky voice I picked up on my first trip to Lesotho suddenly popped up in conversation in my head. I don’t know where this little negative dude hides in my head but he chooses the worst possible times to voice his little opinions.  :ricky:

“You’ve made a mistake...you missed a turn off...you have somehow messed this up, your alone and you’re going to struggle, what are you doing out here”...I recognised this little voice from my last trip and shut it down quickly. I wasn’t going to be intimidated on this trip and I was definitely not going to panic and talk myself down, I’d been here before but this time things were different, I was mentally tougher and I had supreme mad, crazy dirt road riding skills, besides that I was having a jol and didn’t give a crap if I did get myself lost. All roads led to somewhere...where? Who cares.

I started looking at the road to see if I could pick up some bike tracks, I looked up ahead to see if I could see any dust clouds but saw nothing, I parked off and waited for the other boys to come from the back, no one came, I had a pee and then ate a energy bar. After a few minutes I got back on the bike and when I passed a few locals on the road I asked them if they had seen other bikes come through this road. They nodded and pointed that I was heading in the right direction. I opened the Green Machine and powered onwards taking on the ruts and dirt that Lesotho had to offer.

Back at the hotel, the bath was awesome, the soft bed with clean sheets even more awesome or awesomer. Overall a very successful and fun filled day. I was knackered, my body was sore, my right shoulder rotator cuff was acting up and was hurting. I was also surprised to see my hands had swollen and were very stiff. I had enjoyed my day and the stiffness and pain were trophy’s of my successful ride up Sani and through the heart of lesotho.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:48:50 pm by KLR650Fegen »

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:14:59 pm »
Final Day

Sunday we were up bright and early, I packed my bike and looked forward to seen my ladies. I was missing them terribly, my little one was on the phone the previous night and I could hear her crying for her daddy. She gives her mom such a hard time when I am not there. She wouldn’t even let her mom sleep in the bed because “It’s my dad’s bed, not yours mommy”...

While packing my bike I started talking to a chap who was standing there admiring the bikes. I said hello and enquired about his travels to Lesotho. We got chatting and it turns out we are neighbours. He lives in the road right next to my complex and I often pass his house on my way out of the complex. Again such a small world hey...

Sunday went quick, the route we travelled was absolutely beautiful, we crossed rivers, streams, rode on perfect dirt roads and I learnt alot from watching Paul, Peter, Jaco and Sithe on their bikes. The last bit of fun was when Paul had a puncture on his Twin. We pulled over and we had it repaired in no time. I couldn’t really do much to help because these old dogs are so self sufficient they tend to fix problems with absolute ease. We said our goodbyes at the Total petrol station and headed home.

For myself I was really happy I met these guys. I felt a strange bond with them and it was sad to see each of us go our separate ways. I don’t know how it was for them but I was a little sad to be going home and was quietly wishing we had another day to get to know each other a little more.

I phoned the wife and asked her to meet me at the Spur in Alberton. I was so happy to see her and my 2 little ladies. The people in the Spur gave me funny looks when I walked in, I must have looked an odd site covered in dust and dirt but I didn’t care. I rode through Lesotho, on dirt with an amazing bunch of guys, all these clowns in the Spur have done the whole weekend was sit and watch tv and complain about life. I might have been tired but I was wiser, I was a better rider and I had now done Sani-Pass twice... down and up.

The kiss from my wife and that ice cold Hansa was awesome...
 :drif:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:50:13 pm by KLR650Fegen »

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 09:18:30 pm »
The route.
Day 1: Villiers To Harrismith
Day 1: Harrismith to Himeville
Day 2: Himeville to Mokhotlong
Day 2:  Mokhotlong to Katse (Bokong)
Day 2: Detail Katse, Bokong

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 09:20:16 pm »
Words of Gert Kruger: Ride Report

Day 1:

The newby perspective:
Met the boys in Clarens for breakfast and then all headed to Bergville via tarred road.  From Bergville to Himeville we did our first stretches of gravel roads, some good and some very bad.  This was a good opportunity for me to build some confidence prior to us attempting Sani the next morning. Initially I tried to keep up with the experienced guys in the pack but being an auditor I assessed the risks and settled to my own comfortable speed depending on road conditions.  This resulted in me lagging behind and the rest having to wait up for me at turn-offs and intersections.  Thanks to the rest of the group for being patient and waiting for me.

We reached Himeville, had a few cold ones and went to the campsite to set up tents for the night. (Thanks to Paul and Dave for some advise on tackling gravel roads and switch backs on Sani. Oh, did I mention earlier that I were not only a newby on Sani, not only a newby on bad offroad biking but also a newby to gravel riding full stop.)  Tents were pitched before dark.  After having a good meal at the Himeville Arms we settled in our tents for a deserved nights rest.  We all were riding from 0630 in the morning to 1630 when we reached Himeville.

Day 2:

I have to confess that I had more than one nightmare of attempting Sani pass during the first nights camping (luckily I did not know at that stage that the riding during day two would be a never ending story…).  These ranged from fears of being fatigued to fears of dropping my bike and getting punctures that cannot be repaired.  Again the auditor in me looking for the risks rather than at the adventure waiting to unfold.

We set out from Himeville by around 0730 for the Sani border post.  After a short stretch of new grey tar, we hit the gravel up to the border post.  This first section was again a good warm up for what was waiting in Sani pass but also what we would encounter for the entire day two until we reached Katse dam.  After the normal “photo shoot” at the border post we all eagerly left to attempt the pass.  Once again I tackled the pass at my own speed and keeping in mind the advise received the night before.  Before I could think of risks and problems I may encounter I had already successfully completed 2 or 3 of the dreaded switchbacks.  

Stand-up, look up and throttle open helped me crawl, climb and traverse loose gravel, big rocks and tight corners.  In between all of this we started hearing 4x4 vehicles approaching from the front and even some 4x4 taxis coming from below.  I made a rest stop after I thought I had covered less than a third of the pass.  Two of the fellow dogs joined me at the switchback and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that we only had a very short distance left.  By the way, taking off whilst in Sani can be tricky as you need to get to enough momentum to cross big boulders, have enough traction over loose gravel and doing all of this at a very steep incline. I am very proud that I did not drop the bike once and only in one instance did I stall whilst at an incline.  As luck would have it I parked my bike front wheel in front of a big rock and back wheel behind the same boulder at a steep incline.  Again as lady luck would roll the dice I also heard a 4x4 taxi, with music blaring come up from behind. After three or four attempts I managed to get the bike over the rock as rolling backward was not an option as the area behind me was vertically and horizontally slanted to one side.  A combination of power, weight shifting and tricky balancing saw me over the rock for some more stand up, look up and throttle open.

I completed Sani and literally punched the air.  For the experienced riders I am sure this was merely another obstacle crossed but personally I felt very proud.  I was physically and mentally tired but luckily one of my strong traits is perseverance that would come in really handy for the rest of the day.  We headed to the highest pub and took a group photo (I plan to frame it for my office).
After Sani pass I heard that we had to do “only” 180km more to Katse dam where we will again camp, however, as you will see this 180km took as the rest of the day to complete. We left Sani at around 1045.  After every 10km the anticipation of seeing “gravel highway” subsided as I only saw more valleys and mountains ahead.  My speeds ranged from 10km/h to 60/70km/h.  

After filling up at Tshaba Tseka I again thought road conditions would improve but it did not.  We literally rode the whole day up to past five in the afternoon on bad gravel roads, potholes and “smiley rocks” being the order of the day.  I was really tired and eventually my back shock decided to quit 5/10km from Katse dam.  Thank you to Jacoboos for being the “sweeper” and staying with me on the last 50km or so of day 2.
At the Katse resort I saw that it was not only me that was knackered. We had a good dinner and I opted for a dorm room instead of camping.

Day 3:
The entire group enjoyed breakfast.  I was stunned to hear the majority of the pack was still up for another 50km of gravel via Kao Mines to Fouriesburg.  I opted for tar as I was still sore from the previous day, my back shock was gone and I was sure at that stage that I would not be able to deal with another 50km of poor gravel roads.  I was happy to travel with tar down the various passes next to and bridges crossing the Katse dam.  I exited at Maseru and arrived home around 1500.

All said and done I could have been better prepared with knobly tires and some more off-road riding skills training.  The scenery was excellent and I can’t wait to access photos taken by other dogs( I was too tired and too busy to also take pictures).  The route we took should be done over at least 4 days and even 5 if you have the time to do so. I have already started reading maps of gravel roads around Kimberley and will attempt one at a time to increase my skills levels.

Once again thanks to Mitch and the other dogs planning this unforgettable trip.  (Swaziland here we come???)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:52:05 pm by KLR650Fegen »

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 09:21:25 pm »
Words of Paul Ekermans: Ride Report

Day 1 – 16th December 2011

It all started with Mitch deciding a ride up Sani this time as he had already been down solo as per previous RR. This time he wanted friends to enjoy it with him as opposed to going solo again. The invite was posted on the “planning a ride” and the interest was shown by fellow riders, Paul, Jupiter, Peat, Sithe, Schalk vd Merwe, + + +.
The hounds met at the petrol station before Heidelberg for a 6.30 departure leaving the N3 at Heidelberg heading towards Villiers, Frankfort, Reitz, Bethlehem, Clarens, Sterfontein Dam, Bergville. Turning right at Bergville through some interesting roads with a mixture of tar and dirt through to Himeville.
Not far out of Himeville, Schalk bought himself a little plot which he decided needed ploughing! The bike had superficial damage but Schalk hurt his knee and was a bit black  and blue from his attempt at farming.  Schalks comments with regards to throwing in the towel at this stage – I have come all this way to do Sani which is on my bucket list and I will not let a sore knee stop me!!!!. Dave’s DR650 with no back shock also lost his “silencer” which made very little difference to the noise emanating from the bike? The weather was perfect for the day.
After a few cold beverages at Himeville Arms the happy campers went and set up camp for the night. A few “softies” stayed back as they had booked into the hotel for the night. The diehard campers did return to the hotel for supper. Where Mitch spent his evening talking to a dog who was on the bar...

Day 2 - 17the December 2011

This day started with Schalk strapping his knee with some duct tape which was the best we could find as he was still determined to take on Sani? They sure made these “old” boere strong.
On the way to Sani we passed Vis Arend, his wife and daughter who were also going up. The weather started off misty but cleared up into a most beautiful clear day. The going up saw bikes let lie down for a little nap by Kubus, Schalk & +++????. Sithe was however always on hand to help. Dave after putting his bike down twice decided to call it a day and turned around and went back home on his own. At Sani top a few Malutis were enjoyed while we watch Vis Arend and his daughter make their way up. After planning a breakfat at Sani top we were told at 9.30 – sorry breakfast is finished and they are now preparing for lunch so “ sorry for you”
We then preceded towards Mokhotlong to fill up as we were not sure of the fuel situation in Taba Tseka. The road to was good albeit rough. We arrived at Katse at about 15.00 with some of the bodies tired. A few cold Maluties were enjoyed and the happy campers were off to set up camp – a few less than last night as some of the “campers” now opted for a soft bed?
Supper was enjoyed at the hotel.

Day 3 – 18th December 2011

Some of the guys dicided they had had enough of dirt and decided to tar it further. 5 of us decided to give the Kao Mine road a bash. This is a road I would recommend as it was beautiful. A few ascents descents, water crossings and the usual Lesotho views. It was on this rout that Sithe decided he needed to do an unnecessary U turn and his GS also got tired and needed a little “sleep”.
A stop at the new restaurant at Afri Ski for a drink before heading for Fouriesburg. Sithe however decided he had not had enough dirt and did the section via Monontsha border post as well as he wanted to go to Durban. Paule’s AT then at Frankfurt decided the air in his front wheel was stake and got rid of it. This being the only puncture of the weekend. The tube was replaced in record time, which even the FI pit crew would have been proud of? You should have seen what happened to the “quick fix” tyre weld which never works when Peat stomped on it. It took off like a miniature rocket going about 30meters into the air before returning to earth.
Arrived home at about 7pm.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:36:33 pm by KLR650Fegen »

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 09:22:17 pm »
Words of Jaco Hart: Ride Report

Just a short few words.
"Fantastic experience, great guys, awesome scenery, body sapping road conditions. I really enjoyed the sticking together of so many people we didn't even know before the trip. We all had one thing in common, adventure motorcycle riding. All the different makes of bikes, each very capable machines in their own right, yet versatile enough to cope with every condition thrown at it.  
After a day of real battering between Sani and Katse where the bikes took some hammering with shock failure, fuel leaking issues and pannier tears, not to mention human fatigue, I did not find it strange that some riders opted for lodging instead of camping. The Kao mine road was spectacular, technical with steep hills and descents and a couple of water crossings.
All and all, unforgettable

Hey Mitch and all you other crazy fools..it was a real pleasure riding with all of you and having such a wonderful time. The Wilddogs is a bunch of inspirational and spirited soles, each one a book on his own.

Mitch, thanks for organizing this wonderful trip and keeping us intact. (Jy mag maar weer so maak)
Dave, sorry you couldn't make it all the way, but hey, you would have killed us with that zorst (or lack there of).
Kobus, those wonderful travelling stories in Asia and sailing.
Peter, my old friend, always a treat, and linked me to the ride.
Schalk, hats off to you after that fall and carrying on, hope you heal soon.
Paul, so causally taking everything in his stride, that Twin sounds great.
Sithe, you're a mean black son of a GS rider, my goodness.
Gert, only guy without knobblies, making it looking so easy.
Gerard, for getting my head back in place to go camping.
Dear God for getting us there and back.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:40:02 pm by KLR650Fegen »

Come on you Spurs.

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 03:43:59 am »
Well done guys and thanks for sharing.   :thumleft:

Nice to meet you guys and once again, thanks for the help and the cold one at the top.   :thumleft:

Hope to see soon, and keep dem wheels rolling.   :biggrin:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline GRUNT

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Grunt
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 07:11:35 am »
KLRFegan, excelent Ride Report, you tell a story really well, sounds like you guys had an amazing trip and quite a few personal demons were conquered,good on you and thanks for sharing. :thumleft:
I am pure Krogan,you should be in awe!

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 07:34:48 am »
Goeie werk!! Dankie vir die deel!  :thumleft:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
Re: Sani Pass – Lesotho. Here we go again. KLRFegen: Ride Report.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 10:36:58 am »
I would suppose we all have it in our heads to ride Sani and Lesotho. Over time I've thrown a few hints for invites to ride along when I saw guys planning a trip. I did not want to do it on my own and I don't think one should.

When KLR650Fegan, whom we shall call Mitch for short, posted his open invitation, I was in. Could not really afford the time off work, but every now and again you gotta ask yourself, WTF ?

Just riding there and back would be a waste of space, so I planned a little trip to compliment the Lesotho ride. There and back were some roads I'd yearned for over the years and I've not toured around the North-Eastern Cape yet. This was also the area where I've planned SWAMBO and my ride for the end of the year, so it would be nice to scout our route.

Every landing you can walk away from is a good one. The trip was completed and another great one to tick off. For my whole trip I'll do a separate RR.

I only arrived at Himeville ten o'clock on Friday night. Everyone was asleep, so I pitched, had something to eat and after thirteen hours of travelling mostly gravel, dropped down and slept.

Next morning was up early and met the guys. You could sense the anticipation of the ride, as I think for many of us it would be the first up the notorious Sani. We met up with the rest of the group in Heimeville and were off. A nice cruise on the approach and then the climb started. It was tough and testing, but just plain lekker. The old G/S was in its element and just chucking along, running out of breath the higher it went.

When we gathered at the top for a few cold ones it was big grins all around. You just can't help feeling a sense of achievement. Sani is rough.

Then came the long haul to Katse dam. The ride is beautiful and scenic, but due to road conditions, hard on the bike and body. You need to give youself time when riding Lesotho. By the time we got to Thaba-Tseka I was knackered. The G/S still has stock suspension, which took a beating, and gave me a beating. The last two and a half hour's ride to Katse, on the worst piece of gravel, nearly did me.

But there's nothing a cold one won't cure. We kuiered at the lodge where most of the guys(poefters) would sleep, while Jaco and I decided to camp below the dam. It was a good choice.

Odendal56(Kobus) and I would ride home together, but there was no way I was riding that 60k's back to Thaba-Tseka on gravel, so we opted to go with the rest around the dam and stick to tar with the exit at Tele-bridge.

All in all a great ride. Thanks guys for having me along. I think most of us met for the fisrt time on this trip and, like Dogs do, it worked.

There's lot more to say, which I'll fill in on my RR. Enjoy the rest of the holidays safely.  :thumleft:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 11:01:36 am »
Hi Guys, everything was so well said that I don’t think I can add anything else except to say thanks to everybody who helped me on the 3 day trip like Paul said after I bought my little plot. Thanks to Gert Kruger who picked up the bike out of the trench like superman. Paul for his first aid kit and duct tape for the knee.  Jaco for his concern every day and for his Voltaren which I depleted. David for inviting me along to meet the Wild dogs and also his concern, sorry his bike packed up. Kobus for his concern and interesting story which stretched  from America to Russia. Figen for organising the trip, his help where I went farming, the help on Sani and the lovely cold Muluti pain killers and enthusiasm about biking. Then Sithe who was a star to everybody, he rode my bike20 M to a level place on Sani after I fell over (I put my right leg out on one bend but the leg was to weak)Sithe was prepared to go all the way down Sani to look what happen to David. Sithe also turned back many times to see what happened to one of our group in front between Sani and Katse. Thanks also Sithe for the Muluti pain killers at Katse. Thanks to anybody if I have not mention your name. My leg is purple from above the boot to my heap now. I went for X-rays and a scan on Wednesday and the doctor says the mussels or torn on both side of the leg. Sorry I missed you guys somehow as I left the hotel last. I then rode nonstop to JHB afterwards. I will definitely join you guys again. Greetings to a nice bunch of bikers-Schalk vd Merwe
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

Offline Buddy

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 04:06:51 pm »
Nice report, especially with the different inputs   :thumleft:

Paule I'm impressed you were Lead-dog. Remember the next start point is Zorba's in J Bay, where we ended the last ride together, I know Neil did mention Baviaans.  :pot:
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 04:17:13 pm »
On my shortlist of ride to do! Thanks for the RR, GR8 :thumleft:

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 08:05:13 am »
Great ride report guys - well done  :thumleft:
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com