190km day trip 90% dirt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrol

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Today I left at about 11:30 after a 30 degrees day was predicted. I did not care for the heat. I phoned ChrisL and he suggested the following route:
Over Garcia pass
Turn right to Van Wyksdorp
The road split later and you take Herbertsdale
You will cross the Gouritsriver and cross Cloete's pass
In Herbertsdale take the turn off to Albertinia
Before Albertinia you get turnoff to Riversdale
That's the trip.

Now, a 4x4 thinks the whole road belongs to them and they drive in the middle. The motorcyclist, if she (me) wants to stay alive must always take the lane nearest to the side of the road for in case one of those 4x4 come by because they think only they would be on the road. I met many 4x4's but only three bikes. Two ktm's and one BMW with a pillion.

The road was very nice. Any surface you can think of was there. Many low water bridges. Many many tight turns. Many up's and downs but all in all a very very lovely route.

Here are the pictures:
On my way to Van Wyk's dorp. This is to show off bike and mountain. Yes it was a solo trip.
IMG-20111226-00371.jpg

IMG-20111226-00372.jpg

Op die Gourits Laagwaterbrug
IMG-20111226-00373.jpg

Next to the tower on the mountain
IMG-20111226-00375.jpg

Die grootste vydies groei op die berg
IMG-20111226-00376.jpg

Bo van die toring af.
IMG-20111226-00377.jpg

Beeste in die pad - so ek hou myself besig en wag dat hul loop. Het nog nie gehoor of jy deur 'n trop beeste ry met jou fiets nie???
IMG-20111226-00379.jpg

In die ander spieel lyk ek so:
IMG-20111226-00380.jpg

As jy die roete doen stop op Albertinia en koop roosterkoeke. Geniet die gasvryheid van die Engen garage se restaurantjie.
Daar is nogal in die berge 'n Biker's Pub maar ek het so skielik op dit afgekom dat ek nie gestop het nie. Ek wou ook nie alleen daar gaan water drink nie want ek het baie by my gehad.
Herbertsdale is so groot soos 'n vlietende gedagte, en dit is nie om iemand te beledig nie, dis net klein en mense wat daar bly is bevoorreg dink ek.

Regtig 'n roete wat die moeite werd is want daar is werklik iets van alles.