Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sooo, the Dakar is back, renamed, revamped...now the Sertao  (Read 4843 times)

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Sooo, the Dakar is back, renamed, revamped...now the Sertao
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 09:56:37 pm »
R90k and still no fuel gauge ...  ::)

......At least the Yamaha 660 Tenere has got a fuel gauge

AND

a 23 liter tank  

AND

more pleasing on the eye

:thumleft:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:48 pm »

AFAIK every single mechanical thing on these bikes is identical to the outgoing twinspark Dakars - the bikes have the same frames, forks, swingarm, rear suspension, motor etc but just painted black - I'm sure the tank is the same capacity as the old bikes

The only real difference is the cosmetic look of the bike - different headlight, instrument cluster, switchgear etc

Does look good - not so sure about the name though - everybody knows DAKAR but WTF is SERTAO and would you wanna tell your mates at the pub that you ride one
[/quote]

FYI = Sertao - essentiallythe Brazilian Karoo.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 10:25:30 pm »
Over priced, under powered and just new spray job and some farkels!
Much rather buy the new BMW scooter, now there is a awesome bike, way better buy than this old girls shopping trolley!

You forgot OVER Weight  :imaposer: Still a fatty wannabe DS roadbike. Sheep in sheeps clothing!
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 10:34:24 pm »
Much rather buy the new BMW scooter, now there is a awesome bike, way better buy than this old girls shopping trolley!

You forgot OVER Weight  :imaposer: Still a fatty wannabe DS roadbike. Sheep in sheeps really ugly clothing!

Fixed!

Good grief it's hideous!
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 10:59:12 pm »

You forgot OVER Weight  :imaposer: Still a fatty wannabe DS roadbike. Sheep in sheeps really ugly clothing!

Fixed!

Good grief it's hideous!

and that from a tractor driver  :imaposer:

Joyrider1

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 11:56:44 pm »
I likeit...

3 things you probably wont need with it.

1) DUCT TAPE
2) WD 40
3) HAMMER

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 12:05:35 am »
I likeit...

3 things you probably wont need with it.

1) DUCT TAPE
2) WD 40
3) HAMMER

Fixed 3 4 things you probably wont need with it.  :imaposer:

1) DUCT TAPE
2) WD 40
3) HAMMER
4) BALLS

So sad that this is just another example of the global economic crisis in the motorcycle sector of old mutton being dressed up as lamb - no new R&D, no new innovation or product!? Just like making soup out of leftovers  :eek7:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:10:52 am by BiG DoM »

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 12:29:09 am »
I disagree there though. They were IDIOTS to discontinue one of their best-selling models in the hope that customers would trade up to the F650GS twin. Think they lost serious market share.

As supposedly under-powered as it may be, they are reliable, capable and very frugal. Great bikes, ESPECIALLY as a commuter.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 12:33:28 am »
I disagree there though. They were IDIOTS to discontinue one of their best-selling models in the hope that customers would trade up to the F650GS twin. Think they lost serious market share.

As supposedly under-powered as it may be, they are reliable, capable and very frugal. Great bikes, ESPECIALLY as a commuter.

Ja you said it! A BMW badged Vuka?  :mwink:

(sorry as a BMW fan I am really being forced to play Devils Advocate with their latest window dressing)

Joyrider1

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 12:49:30 am »

Exactly.... Good bike to start Swambo with... and she doesn't even need balls to start off with.... :imaposer:

Offline White Rhino

• Save the White Rhino
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 06:14:59 am »
The Old Dakar was really great - considered an Icon by many;
It's welcomed back; but as stated, 14l fuel capacity without other practical options, won't see this Icon deep in Africa.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 06:40:02 am »
I quite like it. Wouldn't mind trading my 650GS for that. Wonder if it will be possible to fit the old models' tank?
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline BennNevis

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 06:45:51 am »
I could still buy 2 KLR's for the price of one of these... :pot: :peepwall:

Exactly,but you will have two klr's

Offline Plaashaas

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 07:09:29 am »
Well my name is Plaashaas and I like it

agreed on weight
range will be much much more than 300km
Hopefully Husky will do something better
Current rides: F800GS x 2

Id rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 07:42:34 am »
Unfortunately I think BMW is going to f*+k Husky up - try and put their same Chinese Rotax engines in there with a red paint job!  :eek7: Do not hold your breath.  :o

Hey this scoot is very near the 200kg mark  ??? What they thinking???

Offline lecap

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 08:07:32 am »
Still no fork boots, a smaller tank and (I'm guessing) still no seals to protect the steering head bearings.

A little bit of effort could have put BMW back into the race. I'm not even thinking as far as shaving off a few kilos or upgrading the suspension.

But look it's got different colours and some new plastic bits and the clocks are new too. Yipee!

The relaunch of the Dakar was probably the best idea anyone had at BMW in decades.
The execution of the move was anyhow done in the worst possible way.

Just another epic BMW fail ::)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 08:17:16 am »
Love it or hate it, the BMW 650 GS single cylinder was bullet proof, the weapon of choice for Trans Africa trips, very economical, and tough. Yes, it a few issues, but only one with the potential to leave you stranded, the water pump gears.
Yes, it is relatively heavy, but how many actually use it in such a way that weight is an issue? The popularity of this bike before it was discontinued says a lot about how good they are. There is only one other real option for Trans Africa trips, the Yamaha Tenere Z, and that is mainly because of it's bigger fuel tank.
This issue of the supposed 14L tank, the specs say 14L standing, but I'm assuming that excludes the 3L reserve, making it 17L, the same as the previous models....but lets wait and see, it is being relaunched later in February.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Online LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 08:18:45 am »
But it's only this and the Tenere that is available in the real D/S long distance travel market.

Eina Michnus, so I guess the rest of us who do long distance touring without those two bikes are complete failures then, because we are using the wrong bikes.

Have you seriously tried EVERY ONE of the other bikes before making that statement? My 6 year old KLR wich is moeg beats that brand new BMW hands down by simply having a 23L fuel tank.
/911
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 08:28:28 am »
As some have already said the Dakar was a hugely popular bike. Sure, it wasn't great in technical terrain, but that's not really it's forte, now is it? Ask Michnus and company what a Dakar is good for - trekking across Africa. Bulletproof with 10 000km service intervals, comfortable for a single and able to be packed to the ceiling.

By the way, the Sertao is not quite simply a re-dressed Dakar. The engine in it is NOT the old F650 single, but rather the version of it found in the X-series bikes - which means it should be a little more lively.

Sure they could equip it with better suspension, etc - but what would it cost? And would someone that'd ride it like it needs better suspension not be better suited to a bike like the XR (R or L), KTM 690, Husky TE, etc??

I for one dig it, and if the time came to buy another "adventure" bike, I'd be choosing between this and the Yamaha Tenere  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:30:01 am by the_wes »

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 08:32:13 am »
But it's only this and the Tenere that is available in the real D/S long distance travel market.

Eina Michnus, so I guess the rest of us who do long distance touring without those two bikes are complete failures then, because we are using the wrong bikes.

Have you seriously tried EVERY ONE of the other bikes before making that statement? My 6 year old KLR wich is moeg beats that brand new BMW hands down by simply having a 23L fuel tank.
/911

And a litre of threadlock.... :peepwall: :biggrin:

But you're right Leondude, the KLR has often been the weapon of choice for long trips, quite often by the yanks too. Quite recently there was a father and son that did Cairo up the west coast, the harder way to go...
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!