Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Silver Sands Rally (who was there)  (Read 1618 times)

Offline accton

Silver Sands Rally (who was there)
« on: January 30, 2006, 10:35:07 am »
Well with nobody phoning me this weekend for a good off-road ride, I desided late Saturday that I?ll head off to the rally out in Robertson, it was at the Silver Sand (Stand) think its sand campsite.
It was lekker and I stayed the evening, not that we had any sleep it was a good party, the only problem was that if you did not get your booz early and stocked up good and proper for the evening you were stuffed, thy ran out of booz late/or shall I say early Sunday morning, and the people were not impressed.
Note to Rally organizers, purchase huge amounts of coffee, do not run out of coffee on Saturday morning, and then go ahead and charge R5 for Hot water and one tea bag, no sugar, no milk. That is called robbery, (Sis on you)
hat you believe will depend very much on what you are.

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 01:13:26 pm »
Dude. sorry mate. No offroad riding apart from a 25min session at a local winefarm.

Would you have gone for a brekkie run to Langebaan with me?

My mate went to the Robertson Rally.... said the drags were very impressive. A guys chain on a superbike broke off during one of these drags and luckily went off the back, but imagine if it hit a spectator...  :shock:
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline accton

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 03:06:02 pm »
Hey Litto, langebaan I would have done, the dragging was not bad, the spectators was another story.
Silver sands has a long road leading up to the campsite gate, that runs the length of the campsite. It looked like there was 2 rallies going the one inside the camp and the one outside where all the locals with the cars parked on the side of the road and got mothered out of their brackets, when the chain came off, I don?t even think one of them cared or noticed (te gesuip om te worry)
I saw one or two orange monsters at the rally, and the Sunday we had breakfast in Robertson, were I think some of possibly your buds, one with a orange KTM and another with a silver Africa Twin had a tank bag on had breakfast.
The KTM sported some acrapovic (don?t know the spelling) pipes on, dam its sound gave me a hard-on. It sounded wicket (handle me with respect, or I will bite) kind of sound.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 07:01:48 pm »
Darn! Sorry boet then... I didnt know you would be keen for that... Baie Jammer! I was just going to leave real early, take the GF to Langebaan and have breakies, and come back earliesh... say midday.

Geez... and no one wanted to come with!!! haha - just shows you.

My black beast has Akras on it too... with baffles removed. I am told that you can hear it coming from a ways off. At first, I hated the noise, now I am getting used to it a bit. But the dern thing pops and all that! Lets say that cars move over a lot sooner with this thing than the Dakar... :twisted:  :twisted:  :P  :P

Offline accton

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 09:29:34 am »
Hey Litto, next time you give me a call. I?m all for the early runs. The wife and son will also be happy with that, because then I can spend some time with them for the rest of the day.
I?m looking at sticking some of them babies on the TA when the buck come in, them babies sound good on any bike, just gives it that grunt factor, that is so cool. I have seen the dyno chart done on a TA after pipes have been fitted, and it increased the power with 20 KW and the fuel consumption came to over 300 Km on 19 Lt of fuel, not bad. Needles to say they replaced the air filter with a DNA and so also rejected the motor. All in all it will set me back 4000 dollar, not to bad. But now how I get that past mommy, when the pipe I have on has nothing wrong.

MMMM any ideas.

Later

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 10:20:36 am »
thats easy
go with LITO to west beach and am sure you can organise a fall which destroys those existing pipes  :)  :)

Offline accton

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 10:37:16 am »
I like the way you think there Macc :twisted:  :twisted: , I had another more subtle plan of drilling some holes in aforementioned pipes and moaning that thy are stuffed. :oops:

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 11:34:19 am »
Hey accton, i've got a friend with a TA which had the exhaust/carb done - I can feel the difference between this and stock, but I think the 20kw is a bit far fetched.  maybe 5 to 10%.  Does make a very noticable difference though.  Apart for constant dyno tuning with each service - he's happy.

I get him to join this forum so you can chat - he's in Brackenfell

Cheers
H

Offline accton

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 12:04:25 pm »
Howzit Killer, I?m just quoting what was shown on the Dyno, this was a Julian from Super bike Solutions in Somerset West; he is the so-called Guru with this conversion.

So the info may be incorrect, who knows, I have seen how the gay pops a wheelie all the way into 3rd gear after the pipes got done, not sure if that is possible without the conversion.

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 02:05:17 pm »
Quote from: "accton"
I have seen how the gay pops a wheelie all the way into 3rd gear after the pipes got done, not sure if that is possible without the conversion.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

i think it is the same guy that did the ta that KiLeR is referring to(?)

Offline droffarc

• Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 02:15:06 pm »
hey Accton
I might be enticed to take over your old standard rear pipe as a spare for mine. I happen to like the twin chromed tailpipes and the sound it makes - to me that "makes" the TA.
I found that the K&N air filter makes a big difference in the performance - tis enuff for me.
So keep me in mind when you make the change.
Thanks
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 02:42:22 pm »
Acc - lets go riding. I have lots of places where you will absoluely destroy that pipe of yours.

Now, theres all KINDS of typos in your posts above which are freken hilarious... read them again !

On that note, cool on the early morning thing.

Offline accton

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 02:42:23 pm »
Quote from: "droffarc"

So keep me in mind when you make the change.
Thanks

Will droffarc, will do, but I'm only looking at the end of the year.
In the mean time you know that little surpreser box infront of the back tyre, romove that, with your K&N and have a look at what that does. Interesting

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 03:12:43 pm »
do you have any trouble off-road with the k&n? there is a school of thought that reckons that k&n is not good for offroading, especially long trips - don't know the exact reason though.

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 04:10:36 pm »
The guy I'm refering too had his bike's convertion done by Julian.  It does make a noticable difference - but 20kw?? :shock:   That nearly half the horses.  The pipe is hellofa loud too.  Each to his own I suppose - I like the extra power but not the loudness nor looks - but then again I ride a KLR (with a stock zorst)  :D

Cheers
Hein

Ps we must meet for a ride someday - I'll get the guy with the Julian convertion to join - we're just around the corner...

shark_za

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 04:41:52 pm »
Quote from: "wino"
do you have any trouble off-road with the k&n? there is a school of thought that reckons that k&n is not good for offroading, especially long trips - don't know the exact reason though.

Does not filter enough of the super fine sand out, and this sand acts like grinding paste in the engine...

Offline accton

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 08:28:40 am »
Shark & kilerSA, I?m going the root of the DNA filter, it seems to have a better rap on the whole filtering methods and durability. The filter has been ordered and will be added at the next service, on the 20Kw, like I said this was shown to me on a dyno chart, so it was not by my own experience, but I will add the power is better. I will only do the conversion at the end of the year but in the meantime, I will be removing the suppresser box that sits just in front of the back wheel, this will give more power with the new filter and jets, but I stock pipe will still sound the same, don?t know how long the pipe will last with the extra blast, but we will have to see.

KilerSA we definitely need to connect up some time.

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 09:02:45 am »
Good idea, maybe take pics of the procedure and post it together with the results to the forum - lots of hetrosexual XLV riders  :lol:

I switch to a UNI filter on the KLR - the filter report (i think from www.klr650.net) rated the UNI 'excellent' with airflow and 'good' with filtering ability - BUT you need to clean it regularly since it got a 'poor' for dirt retention rate - iow as long as its clean it will do a good filter job, but as soon as too much dirt are present - it will loose its filtering ability.

Cheers
H