Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Power Commanders" for R1200GS/GSA  (Read 6611 times)

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
"Power Commanders" for R1200GS/GSA
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:45:42 pm »
A commonly asked question, by people looking for more performance out of their 1200’s. So I thought I would pop in a quick post about this awesome product to guide the WD members.

The Wunderlich Performance Controller is one such product that has been around for ages and is tried/tested and proven to give you better performance and spread of power!

The product is a “plug’nplay” module that attaches directly to the trigger wires of the fuel injector and only modifies the quality, length or duration of the fuel signal. That way, all of the factory-specified and required settings for temperature adjustment, altitude and barometric pressure adjustment are totally unaffected and continue to function as originally designed. It is also un-affected by any post installation mods that you make – such as adding an exhaust or aftermarket Airfilter.

In its simplicity the Wunderlich Performance Controller is great as it is a “plug and leave” system. You don’t have to fiddle with it and mine was on for 2 years before I had it re-mapped as a matter on maintenance.

With the Boxer motor having to comply with the new Euro emission laws after 2007, the Factory had to alter the fuel delivery, i.e. make the fuel map leaner. This is all well and fine at averages of 500m above sea level, 100 km/h and an ambient temp of 15*C. Take the same bike, put Sakkie Van Der Spuy (125Kgs) met Sannie Van Der Spuy (110kgs) add 50Kgs of luggage (mostly Klippies en Billy’s.) Now have them sitting Trans Karoo at 180Km/h at 3800m above sea level in 42*C heat – my brothers and sisters – you will have kak!
We have seen several motors ping/seize/destruct because of this. However with the Wunderlich Performance Controller “actively” governing the fuel delivery by reading the ECU, Lambda and Knock Sensors, you will never have this problem. It will constantly optimise the fuel delivery, hence reliably creating more performance.

I am on my 17th GSA and have had the Wunderlich Performance Controller fitted to every one of them and have not had any problems with any of them. On the contrary, I have had the benefit of better horsepower, increased torque, and smoother acceleration.
From experience I would stick to what I have used and love. Dyno figures from my last installation on my present GSA were an improvement of 9bhp and 5nm torque, which is pretty good.

A lot of people have queried the effect on the fuel consumption? But I would be lying if I commented as I am economical once a year – when I try and win the RFS National Economy run. Outside of that I ride too fast to notice! However other customers that have fitted it have reported better fuel economy figures – as you would expect from optimum fuel delivery! But bear in mind that is common (and quite human) to tend to try and use the horsepower that you now have in your right fanny scratcher!

Whilst it is fairly easy to self install – I would advise taking to Justin at Motorrad Tech (0114256632) he has installed most of mine – knows them backwards and is able to attain the best figures from them on his dyno! He can even custom tune the map to your spec, as in more top end or more torque for those who use theirs to plough! Small tip – go in and ask for ‘Denver’s’ map, that is the best mix of all worlds! Well worth the R850 or whatever he charges now!

Sorry the price has been adjusted the rate and transport has been killing ,me!

Costs of this lekker piece of Performance is R 4650.00 less 10% for WD – R 4185.00 incl.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:21:58 am by BlingKing »
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Importers for WILBERS Suspension AG, TFX Suspension, HAGON Shocks UK, WUNDERLICH for your BMW!
Agents for: HYPERPRO, BiTUBO, OHLINS, RACE-TECH, K-TECH

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
Re: "Power Commanders" for R1200GS/GSA
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 03:36:12 pm »
 :thumleft:

Thanks for the write-up. I recently fitted a Wunderlich Performance  Controller and I am happy

Performance is up and economy is the same

I am running with the base settings.

Do you suggest I take the bike for a dyno test and mapping?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:37:54 pm by Heimer »

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline BlingKing

• Vendors
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:10:37 am »

Thanks for the write-up. I recently fitted a Wunderlich Performance  Controller and I am happy

Performance is up and economy is the same

I am running with the base settings.

Do you suggest I take the bike for a dyno test and mapping?

Absolutley I am serious when I say that Justin really has those things down to a fine art!
Importers for WILBERS Suspension AG, TFX Suspension, HAGON Shocks UK, WUNDERLICH for your BMW!

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:17:16 am »

Except I am in the Cape and Justin is not...

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline BlingKing

• Vendors
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:23:43 am »

Eish, get hold hold of Wayne or Johnny at Atlantic

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:26:10 am »

I will sort myself out, thanks, There is always Wrench at superbike solutions
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:27:04 am by Heimer »

Offline Edd

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:13:07 pm »
Fitted my controller and did the dyno by Justin yesterday, what a difference. Thanx Denver.  :thumleft:
Face your Fears, Live your Dreams

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 09:45:20 pm »
Have run one on my 1150GS, 1200 ADv and now HP2 = this is the dogs danglers!  :3some: Money well spent IMHO.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Dogmatix

• Bike: Yamaha TTR 250
  • None the Wiser
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 07:25:09 am »
I agree whole-heartedly that these gadjets are worth it.

I'm selling my 1200 and the problem for me is the guys who are looking for second hand bike don't agree. I'm going to remove mine and put it into the SV as soon as I get a spare hour and try and sell the GS as standard as possible.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 11:29:24 am »
The one you have will only work with the boxer FI engine.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline Dogmatix

• Bike: Yamaha TTR 250
  • None the Wiser
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 02:11:55 pm »
Yeah, I found out today when I called Wrench. Still, I'll be able to sell it back to him at cost if I do take it off. Nice!
"Don't believe every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 04:01:06 pm »
Yeah, I found out today when I called Wrench. Still, I'll be able to sell it back to him at cost if I do take it off. Nice!

Take it off you will easily find a buyer - was one for sale a while back and were quite a few takers.

Offline Boxer

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 12:22:20 pm »
Tx, Will definitely fit one on my new GSA :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 12:27:41 pm »

:eek7: :patch: :patch: :patch: :patch:

WTF..............????

I tried for a year to get my new 2009 GSA sorted with Atlantic.............. I was also told catagorically that the WARRANTY WILL BE VOID the minute I put one of these units on the bike.

Are you telling me now that they are supported or approved by BMW-SA.............??  ???
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 12:47:25 pm »
Consider an Accelerator Module as well. It is plug and play, has no BMW warranty issues, no setup needed and shares many of the benefits of the Wunderlich.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 01:30:24 pm »

WTF..............????

I tried for a year to get my new 2009 GSA sorted with Atlantic.............. I was also told catagorically that the WARRANTY WILL BE VOID the minute I put one of these units on the bike.

Are you telling me now that they are supported or approved by BMW-SA.............??  ???

Goose
Officially it WILL void the warranty as apposed to BMW USA which welcomes it.
DP of one the bigger WC dealers could not fault the befits of the PC, same dealers send their problem bikes to Superbike Solutions :3some:
Now I hear that PC are plug and play without the need to cut into any wiring loom, so it would seem that one could have it fitted and just unplug it before it's due for a service, not that I would even contemplate such actions :mwink:

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 01:47:08 pm »

WTF..............????

Goose
Officially it WILL void the warranty as apposed to BMW USA which welcomes it.
DP of one the bigger WC dealers could not fault the befits of the PC, same dealers send their problem bikes to Superbike Solutions :3some:
Now I hear that PC are plug and play without the need to cut into any wiring loom, so it would seem that one could have it fitted and just unplug it before it's due for a service, not that I would even contemplate such actions :mwink:

Believe me I know ALL about warranties, PC's and Wunderlich's units. Julian at SUperbike Solutions is well versed with our plight and fight with BMW and just the right to sort a bike that was clearly causing massive damage to an engine set for EU-3 standards and FAR too lean for SA conditions.
I even got a letter from BMW in Atlanta with the owner advising that they themselves fit the units to protect the engines. Handing the "BMW-approved" letter to the blokes here made no difference! The lack of customer support and trying to sort out the problem was too much for BMW-SA and as Mr Steli Momos told me on the phone.... "there are too few of you with the issue to warrant us taking matters further with BMW-GA"   :patch:  ???

None of the units - especially not the PC that Julian fits.... will cause you to damage or cut the loom. It's all plug & play.

Our suggestion the day we had the Dyno runs of a whole group of bikes at Julian's place... that we test a bike with the PC and then without the PC to see the difference in the AF mixtures . was met with a very blunt and certain - "We'll take down the VIN number of that bike and VOID the warranty immediately"   :xxbah:  ... in fact in a quest to resolve the problem with the lean running issue........... we even invited BMW to send their mechanics on the day to oversee the project....... it was rejected.. HOWEVER we were asked to add WYNNS OCTANE booster to the fuel to see if it made a difference... (now is that not going against all the warnings about additives...?)

So in short - I'm a firm believer in the PC and Wunderlicht units - as well as the accellerator modules - NONE of which would be in existance or selling so well if there was not this problem that BMW constantly want us to believe does not exist.

If they NOW accept and support the units......... DAN GAAN DAAR KAK WEES!!!  :deal:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 03:16:41 pm »
Vat hom Flaffie Goose! :D
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline BlingKing

• Vendors
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 10:17:35 am »
Ahhhhhh the dreaded BMW Warranty issue, gotta love it.

The amazing part of this all is that BMW say that the Warranty is void on affected parts if something like this is fitted. It is their new fuel map that is at fault (thanks to the new Euro emmssion laws) and it has been this new fuel map (read leaner) that has been causing all the kak in the first place! With the pinging and the motors that have self destructed because they've run too lean!
 The Wunderlich Performance Controller fixes that by optimising the fuel delivery to the engine, hence giving it a living chance under strenuious circumstances like fully laden on the Trans Karoo hiway at 48* C.
Yet it is a naughty piece of kit to fit ....... go figure!

There has not been any recorded incidence of engine failure on any bike fitted with the Wunderlich Performance Controller, in fact I am on my 17th GS/GSA fitted with this and anyone who knows me knows that if a bike was doomed to fail it would be with me on it, since I ride harder than most!

All that my customers have been doing is un-plugging it when they take it in (it is plug'nplay), or if there is a Warranty issue.

I spoke to a guy from BMW AG Motorrad who was very involved with Warranties and upgrades when I was at Wunderlich and he said that they dont have a problem with majority of the extras that are fitted from Wunderlich and Wilbers. His chirp was that they all carry the German ABE and TuV certification, which is good enough for them - go figure!

Offline BlingKing

• Vendors
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 10:22:01 am »
Consider an Accelerator Module as well. It is plug and play, has no BMW warranty issues, no setup needed and shares many of the benefits of the Wunderlich.

It doesn't come close to the Wunderlich in terms of the benefits that the Performance Controller does bud, like the increase in horsepower it provides.