Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Power Commanders" for R1200GS/GSA  (Read 6609 times)

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: "Power Commanders" for R1200GS/GSA
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 10:31:18 am »
Consider an Accelerator Module as well. It is plug and play, has no BMW warranty issues, no setup needed and shares many of the benefits of the Wunderlich.

It doesn't come close to the Wunderlich in terms of the benefits that the Performance Controller does bud, like the increase in horsepower it provides.

I agree.......... during the Dyno Testing day we had at Superbike Solutions, the Accelerator Module was tested on a GS. The bike was run on the Dyno with & without the unit and no difference was found.......

Why........ because the ECU compensates for the change the module made.  Fuel, Airflow etc were all checked. The Lambda's would measure the mixture and tell the ECU to adjust as it was not happy with the exhaust gasses.

The PC and Wunderlicht units address all the sensor settings - therefore works.
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline Gryshond

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 10:57:27 am »
Thanks for that Goose, I have been saying the Accelerator Module does not work, putting it on and taking it off makes no difference the bike runs too lean and when its hot it pings. A few other who have tried it have said the same thing, so it not that I have a defective one.

Quite a few people have however reported that it solves the problem, is this a case of them experiencing what they were told to experience instead of what is actually happening?

Offline TheBear

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 11:37:19 am »
Thanks for that Goose, I have been saying the Accelerator Module does not work, putting it on and taking it off makes no difference the bike runs too lean and when its hot it pings. A few other who have tried it have said the same thing, so it not that I have a defective one.

Quite a few people have however reported that it solves the problem, is this a case of them experiencing what they were told to experience instead of what is actually happening?

Consider an Accelerator Module as well. It is plug and play, has no BMW warranty issues, no setup needed and shares many of the benefits of the Wunderlich.

It doesn't come close to the Wunderlich in terms of the benefits that the Performance Controller does bud, like the increase in horsepower it provides.

I agree.......... during the Dyno Testing day we had at Superbike Solutions, the Accelerator Module was tested on a GS. The bike was run on the Dyno with & without the unit and no difference was found.......

Why........ because the ECU compensates for the change the module made.  Fuel, Airflow etc were all checked. The Lambda's would measure the mixture and tell the ECU to adjust as it was not happy with the exhaust gasses.

The PC and Wunderlicht units address all the sensor settings - therefore works.

Keep in mind that a PC or Wunderlich is in excess of R4k, while the AM is at R1k.  The AM makes no claims of horsepower increases whatsoever (dyna testing therefore moot) and state, quite openly that it will only affect the bike under acceleration in terms of quicker throttle response, smoother throttle response, etc.  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:38:15 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Harry the Buffalo

• I NEED Freedom!!To survive>>>>
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 11:36:32 pm »
Sub
Having "GUTS" means being "SHIT" scared and still winding the throttle!!!

Offline Triple Trompie

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 09:29:22 am »
I imported my Wundelich PC, just under R2500, all in, delivered in my PO Box.

Have an akro pipe and BMC filter, and the PC on the recommended settings for these. I'm especially impressed with the low to mid range torque my bike has. Way better than it used to be.
Will get it set up on a dyno soon. But I'm really happy.
AS JY OOR DIE BOERE WIL KLA MOET NIE MET N MOND VOL KOS PRAAT NIE!!!!

Offline jacquesnaude

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 10:14:28 pm »
I have almost given up on my GSA. I am glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem, because BMW seems to think there is nothing wrong with the bike.
I feel it is somewhat unfair to spend R4000 to get a bike to work the way it should have done in the first place. BMW is not all they make out to be.
I had the accelerator modular fitted by Umhlanga BMW but it made no difference to the performance. It feels much worse when the bike is loaded.
At 5000 rpm it feels like the bike hits a rev limiter and it takes a while to accelerate past this. At speeds over 160 the bike gets 10km/Lt.
I have considered selling it because it bugs me every time I ride it. I am glad that I read this post.
I have discussed this on the forum before and I was advised to fit the power commander but was reluctant to try it.
How do I go about buying this power commander? Who will fit it? I am in Kokstad and the nearest town is Durban. If possible I would prefer not to go to a BMW dealer.
Please give me advice, thanks.

Online Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 10:18:17 pm »
Very easy to fit ( few minutes)

Order from blingking the guy that started thisthread

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline jacquesnaude

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 10:29:13 pm »
What about the mapping?

Offline Murdoch

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 08:18:02 pm »

Have an akro pipe and BMC filter, and the PC on the recommended settings for these. I'm especially impressed with the low to mid range torque my bike has. Way better than it used to be.

Who did you import it from?

Offline BeastyGS

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 08:54:33 pm »
I fitted a Power Commander 5 with Autotune to my 2009 GSA1200, fuel consumption is 6.1, ridability is perfect all over. I run a Mivv silencer, headers and aftermarket filter.

Basically it is a closed loop tuning system, you tell unit what fuel ratio to run and it tunes in actual time, every 250 RPM from 1-10 tenths throttle opening. In my opinion it is the best on the market and after accepting a sampling of YOUR personal riding style it provides the perfect map to suit YOU. It is very easy for any peep to fine tune who can turn on a computer .

Obviously it is not cheap (R8000.00) but u get what u pay for!!!! It made such a difference that I honestly cannot fault it in any way, you can also tune it for performance, economy and ridablity!!!

Online Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 05:50:53 am »
I fitted a Power Commander 5 with Autotune to my 2009 GSA1200, fuel consumption is 6.1, ridability is perfect all over. I run a Mivv silencer, headers and aftermarket filter.

Basically it is a closed loop tuning system, you tell unit what fuel ratio to run and it tunes in actual time, every 250 RPM from 1-10 tenths throttle opening. In my opinion it is the best on the market and after accepting a sampling of YOUR personal riding style it provides the perfect map to suit YOU. It is very easy for any peep to fine tune who can turn on a computer .

Obviously it is not cheap (R8000.00) but u get what u pay for!!!! It made such a difference that I honestly cannot fault it in any way, you can also tune it for performance, economy and ridablity!!!

BeastyGS - you bought the ultimate. Any dyno tuner will tell you. You can fine-tune that unit to absolute perfection

I went for something (the wunderlich pc) that give me easy fitment and removal and which I can adjust myself while on a trip (depending on elevation) agreed the wunderlich does not allow such granular adjustment, but its pretty damn effective over the full rev range. and takes care of all the dead spots, add lots of power and improves fuel consumption

I was after something that can take immediate care of the engine's tendency to run lean in when moving at constant throttle ( closed loop). Presently I am using the wunderlich base map settings for my model (in the manual) but I still need to take it for a dyno to make sure it is adjusted even better. I am happy.

Without the autotune you added to your unit, I heard you have to take the bike back to the dyno after every service... - another reason I went for the Wunderlich
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:22:10 pm by Heimer »

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Triple Trompie

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 08:14:37 am »

Who did you import it from?

Wunderlich USA, last year some time.
AS JY OOR DIE BOERE WIL KLA MOET NIE MET N MOND VOL KOS PRAAT NIE!!!!

Offline Dogmatix

• Bike: Yamaha TTR 250
  • None the Wiser
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 12:19:15 pm »
I have a used PC5 for sale. It's sitting at Superbike Soultions taken out of my 1200 GS recently to sell.

It's mapped by Julian on the Dyno - the whole trip. Not sure how it will run in another bike without mapping but if anyone's interested I'll let the unit go for R3000. I think they're around R4500k new. If you go the route of mapping for your bike Julian will oblige with an additional cost obviously.

I was extremely happy with the thing. It made the bike as lively as any DOHC later model and felt like I could power wheelie in second gear without too much effort, not that I have the guts to wheelie yet..... Also knowing the fuel / air ratio was spot on and my engine would prob outlast itself was a nice feeling.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Murdoch

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 01:41:59 pm »
Hey you PC fundis

I'm interested in getting one but not so sure about the mapping story, once connected, is the mapping selected via software from a laptop. I understand the dyno tuning for the perfect setting but are the PC's sold with default mapping or how does it operate, sorry i'm still a noob.

Online Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 01:54:48 pm »
Hey you PC fundis

I'm interested in getting one but not so sure about the mapping story, once connected, is the mapping selected via software from a laptop. I understand the dyno tuning for the perfect setting but are the PC's sold with default mapping or how does it operate, sorry i'm still a noob.

The wunderlich unit comes with a complete set-up manual (which can also be downloaded of the internet). Or I can email them to you if you PM me your email address.

Obviously engines differ, so after entering the base settings for your year & model, you can take it for a dyno to get a further improvement. You can in no way damage you engine with the wunderlich unit - maybe just push your fuel consumption too high if you experiment wildly.

Offline DIGGERDIN

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 07:30:35 am »
Hi Dogmatix first dibs on your PC5 at Superbike Solutions.

Cheers DIGGERDIN

Offline Dogmatix

• Bike: Yamaha TTR 250
  • None the Wiser
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 10:15:04 am »
Hi Dogmatix first dibs on your PC5 at Superbike Solutions.

Cheers DIGGERDIN

Sorry guys, JacquesNaude has taken it off Wrench's hands already.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Old fart

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 12:17:33 pm »
I required about the Wunderlich Performance Controller at one of the big BMW dealers in the UK and this is what they replied to.

Part number 8530120, Performance Controller, is for use on bikes upto 2007 and only for sport use. Wunderlich do the performance controller to use on 2008 and 2009 bikes but do not have one listed for 2010 onwards (twin cam) bikes at present. Sorry.
Thanks for your enquiry.
Kind regards
Sarah Wildin
Parts Advisor
Rainbow Motorcycles Ltd
Alma Road
Rotherham
S60 2HZ

It makes me wonder why our 'importer' did not mention this.
"Every day above ground is a good day!!!!

Online Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 10:19:14 pm »

It makes me wonder why our 'importer' did not mention this.

Don't get all cynical - His was a good and informative post and I have had very good service from him

Thanks for doing the inquiry to everybody's benefit.

PS: That 'racing only' is a typical UK reply - they are just covering themselves... They won't ask you for a racing license before selling you one, for instance.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:24:21 pm by Heimer »

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 05:52:50 am »
Ja do not knock the SA importer just because the UK dealer cannot find the product in his catalogue!?  :patch:
These Wonderlick PC's have been the same for all the 1200's and feel sure the situation may well be the same for the 2010+ ... but hey why not e-mail or call the Bling King on this side of the pond before casting aspersions? Only had good service on Wilbers from him.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky: