Field replacement of the alternator belt/1200GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurer

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
two buddies of mine did a quick weekend trip from Joeys to Verneukpan to Baviaanskloof and back via Elliott this weekend.
I get this distress phonecall at 7am, the one guy on a 1200GS has a 'dead battery'. They get to Klerksdorp (1200 towed behind a 1150GSA) where Speed Bikes help him out with a new battery. No mechanics were on hand to fit the battery, but already a big thanks to Piet Spoed's friendly staff for opening up their shop.
After the battery is fitted he sees the charge light (a picture of a battery in this case) does not go off, another phone call to me, I tell him to check out his alternator with a multimeter, next phone call.....the farking fan belt is shredded! 51 000km, this only gets changed at 60 000km. Piet Spoed's staff open shop again and supply him with a new belt, they get busy only to find there is NO adjustment on the alternator, later we find out that a SPECIAL TOOL is required to fit this belt! Now, for FARK SAKES, how does one fit this belt in the poondocks of civilization??????
My intrepid friends make a plan, put the belt in VERY hot water for a while, remove the spark plugs and select 3rd gear. Fit the belt totally around the alternator pulley, then as far as possible around the crank pulley, then turn the motor by turning the back wheel, HEY PRESTO, it's on! Re-fit all the covers, crashbars, spark plugs, and hit the road just before lunch time. They still made Upington by 5pm, and Verneukpan just after dark!
A big 'THUMBS UP' to Klerksdorp Speed Bike.