Leo and Friends at the Swazi '07

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Think of Swaziland and I think of vast open gravel roads, unexplored by myself and I guess by the majority of other readers here. For the last 4 years we have made a point of exploring different regions in Swaziland, while attending the Swazi rally and weâ??re getting to know the place, but there is so much more to explore that I guess weâ??ll be going back there for quite a few more years.

This year the Sazi rally clashed with the Gauteng WD bash, but as I had promised my mates that we would do the Swazi I could not go back on my word, so the WD had to be missed. Apart from that the thought of 50 odd riders all finding their way along the same track spelled disaster for me, and left me feeling rather uncomfortable about it all. SO the Swazi it was going to be. Andre, Stef and Nino had various reasons for chickening out, but the rest of the team was all in position.

Excalibur and I met at Shell Ultra City from where we would head to his hometown (Ermelo0 to have dinner with his sister, before we would head further. 

Swazi07.jpg

Honey sporting her new poeprietâ?¦

Swazi071.jpg

Excalibur on the good stuff after we had eaten at his family.

Swazi072.jpg

Waited for about 10 minutes before the rest of the gang arrived and soon we were in Amsterdam.
Swazi073.jpg

We bought meat at The Glen butchery, about 5 kmâ??s out of town on the Lothair road. Can really recommend this butchery!

Swazi074.jpg

Re-fuelling in Amsterdam

Swazi075.jpg

Form Amsterdam we headed for the Nerston border post that was dead quiet. We were the only people there.

Swazi076.jpg

Swazi077.jpg

From Nerston we took some scenic gravel roads that eventually took us to Sidvokodvo â?? the town closest to the rally site.

Swazi078.jpg

Just before Sidvokodvo we passed this new golf estate â?? very impressive. Still being developed, sorry no pics of the greens and fairways, but trust me, if youâ??re a golfer, you gotta go there. Hire a golf cart, else you not going to make it.

Swazi079.jpg

Soon we were checked in, and before you could say â??bliksemâ? we had our tents pitched, the fire started and a cold one in hand.

Swazi0710.jpg

Swazi0711.jpg

Swazi0712.jpg

Watching the sun set over the African sky, with mates around a fire and a cold one in hand.  This has got to be life!
Swazi0713.jpg

Saturday morning we rose to the rising sun, feeling somewhat unnerved, but ready for a great day

Swazi0714.jpg

��. Nice number plate.

Swazi0715.jpg

Not long after we started we came upon this Corsa bakkie parked in the bush. Keys in the ignition, started but going nowhere. The driver obviously was speeding and couldnâ??t make the turn.

Swazi0716.jpg

We stood there admiring the carnage, when out of the blue this European chick walks past, as if itâ??s the most natural thing to do.  All by her lonesome self

Swazi0717.jpg

Swazi0718.jpg

Soon it was time to water the thirst, so we parked at this shebeen

Swazi0719.jpg

One happy owner

Swazi0720.jpg

Lovely roads in a beautiful countryâ?¦

Swazi0721.jpg

Swazi0722.jpg

Swazi0723.jpg

Swazi0724.jpg

Swazi0725.jpg

Swazi0726.jpg

Swazi0727.jpg

Dereck flying byâ?¦

Swazi0728.jpg

Even the local locust stopped to check the bikes

Swazi0729.jpg

Swazi0730.jpg

Another shebeen stop

Swazi0731.jpg

��and more lovely roads

Swazi0732.jpg

Of course we had to stop at a river and do some water crossing.

Swazi0733.jpg

Swazi0734.jpg

We were back at the camp at about 4 pm, ready for a few cold ones and another braai.

That evening some ladies were very hot and a crazy oke on stage poured cold water all over them. Some ladies got very upset â?? everything was standing up, including their tempers, but we just cheered then on

Swazi0735.jpg

Sunday morning we rose to another lovely day, so we started packing

Swazi0738.jpg

From Sidvokodvo we headed towards Piggs Peak

Swazi0739.jpg

..where we took the road to the Bulemu border post. Those of you who follow the news must have heard of the devastating fire in the region. Canâ??t remember how many hectares of forest has been destroyed, but the evidence was everywhere

Swazi0740.jpg

Swazi0741.jpg

Just before the border post you pass the site of an old mine, thousand of houses on the hillside. From here coal was taken in pans via a cableway to Baberton.

Swazi0742.jpg

The border post were also very quiet, we were the first people there for the day.

Swazi0743.jpg

From here we followed the route to Baberton, man this is an awesome route and certainly a must do for those of you that love the fresh mountain air and lotsa gravel roads. Theyâ??re busy tarring it, so get of your couch and go ride it before itâ??s too late

Swazi0744.jpg

Swazi0745.jpg

Swazi0746.jpg

Swazi0747.jpg

Swazi0748.jpg

Swazi0749.jpg

Swazi0750.jpg

Swazi0751.jpg

Swazi0752.jpg

Wimpy in Baberton

Swazi0753.jpg

In Carolina, Dereck decided his new motoX boots were sh!t, so he swopped them for his latest ATGATT.

Swazi0754.jpg

Well folks that was it. The rest of the route back was pretty boring, and by 3 pm I was at home washing all that needed to be washed, and relaxing.

As a matter of interest the Swazi rally is organized by the Kingâ??s Brigade MCC, with Carlos as their president. This year on 1 December theyâ??re organizing an Iron Butt run as the smallest country in the world to ever host an Iron Butt run. There is a 600 km route around the circumference of Swaziland and participants will have to complete three loops to qualify. Could be interesting, so if youâ??re into that kinda thing, give Carlos a buzz.

Thanks to all who joined, it was lovely, once again. Thanks to the Lord for showing us these beautiful places and bringing us all home safely.  ;)