Harley Boys go to Oasis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitedelight

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
HDCCT Take A ride To Oasis
Ok so after some serious Harley bashing over the last two days, here is a ride report to show all and sundry that we are just normal bike loving folk who enjoy riding our bikes. Our members are definitely enthusiasts, and most own more than one motorcycle, from all different stables.
At present we have between 35 and 45 DS riders, and from time to time we organize what we call “dirty weekends”. The plan was to leave Cape Town from the N1 one stop and do the round trip to Oasis, entering from the Clanwilliam side and exiting towards Ceres.
For me the morning started the same as before all rides, waking at 5-00am excited like a little kid. Weird that no matter how much riding I do, I still get the same feeling before ever ride. I have never done Oasis before so for me this was a thrill of note.
We had in total 20 bikes that would eventually meet up at our destination, but some were coming from different parts and we had two splinter groups that we would eventually meet up with.
My missus and a mate’s missus would ride along in a vehicle, and we had another member who had just had an op on his foot who tagged along by car as well.
So by 8-00 am I was packed and ready to go, as I opened the garage door the heavens opened at the same time.Oh shit that is perfect timing.Fook it, not unstrapping the dry bag for my rainsuit,the thick cloud just seemed to be hanging over Melkbos,so I thought I would just gun it in the opposite direction.
Needless to say I got soaked, my summer gloves wet right through and that morning chill seemed to be converted into freezer type temps.
Well once I got to the N1 the hands were numb but at least it was dry.I was also on brand new Heidis,so I was cautious to stay clear of as many road markings as possible. Eventually arrived at the one stop unscathed.
We all hooked up and had a brief chat about the ride, same as WD briefing, ride at whatever speed you comfortable with and just wait for the guy behind at any turning point.
We headed out on time and headed straight for Wellington. It was drizzling slightly but bearable. The chill was still in the air. We travelled through the town and just on the other side we hit the first gravel. It was slightly moist but nicely packed and pretty smooth. I got no idea what the road was called but it was awesome, very little dust and some high speeds. The first section flew bye. From there we hit a short section of tar and then it was back on the dirt travelling towards Piketberg .Once again another stunning road,in good nick and the morning was fresh ,the smells from the fields filtering into the helmet.
Once again all too soon the gravel came to an abrupt halt. We could see the town a Km or two away. Back on the tar and we were off towards Eendekuil,which was to be our first watering hole. Alas our first stop is now a rehab centre, not ideal for a bunch of guys wanting a little warmer upperer.No worries, a few wise gentlemen had a few hip flasks which got passed around just to relieve that little chill which would not disappear from the morning air.
Back on the black stuff and the heading was now Citrusdal, wondering what delays were to be expected on top of Piekenierskloof pass. We got to first one and had to wait for about ten minutes. Had a chat to some motorists while we waited everyone definitely in high spirits.
As we reached the top of the pass one of the guys indicated right to turn down towards the venue on the right. Once there he explained we could miss the next stop/go and take the old pass road which runs parallel with the tar road. I did not even know there was a dirt road there. We travelled a few hundred metres and came across a gate. On the left side of the gate was a gap big enough to pass. Wayne had said they had ridden this section before, so we went down. What a lekker little trail it turned out to be.Only to find out from Robin B that it was in fact a private road. We did not see anyone so I suppose we hurt no-one.
Once at the bottom it rejoins the tar road leading into Citrusdal.It was by now close to lunchtime and the town was full of local flavour spending their hard earned money. We did not stop but carried on through the town to hit the next section of dirt. This section would carry us along the dam, but there was one issue. The graders were hard at work and that fine residue they leave behind creates a lot of dust. It also makes the road a little slippery.
Due to the dust we kept fairly decent gaps, but the road was great and the view was stunning .Just before the turnoff to the Cedarburg one of the guys took a tumble, he says he thinks he was carrying too much speed through the turn and lost the front end. That nasty thin layer of dust adding to his woes.
Picked the bike up and off it was to Clanwilliam for a well deserved lunch at the Clanwilliam Lodge. The food was not the greatest but the venue is superb .It was almost a case of “maagies vol ogies toe”. After an hour or so we filled up for our onslaught on Oasis.
We headed out on the same road we just come in on, turned left and were on our way towards Algeria. The road was a little more technical, with lots of protruding rocks. The road was already in the shadow of the imposing mountains, and it was getting chilly again. After an entertaining section we arrived at Algeria where we regrouped. From there it was up the climb on the paving, sensing the destination and the prospect of some good kuiering.
But before we could kuier, we had had to navigate a tricky section of road that would test us this late in the day. It was that deep red gravel, but felt like marbles. As Robin B said in his ride report, I too felt like I had puncture on my front wheel. It was very taxing mentally, and I struggled to read it properly, the front often leading me where it felt like going. I just stood up on the pegs and tried to keep my speed above 70km/h.After what seemed like forever we headed down the hill and into Oasis. After the last stretch it was definitely the right name for our overnight stop.
We made our destination in one piece, now it was time to unwind and have a festive evening. Was lekker to bump into Sakkie and Robin B,and some of the Caledon boys, two of the bikes I remembered from last year’s Springbok Rally. Well that evening consisted of good food ,good company and Stormers winning the rugby, albeit not the most exciting game.
The next morning we were up early, and it was freezing .Nothing a cup or ten of coffee could not sort out. We had breakfast and then it was time to head on home. The road out the other side is awesome, but all too soon it was over and we hit the tar once again.
We headed through Ceres, stopped at Calabash for a little one two and then through Bain’s and the back roads to end up in Philadelphia. Bain’s kloof was wet wet wet,and it only cleared up once out and through Wellington.
All in it was a great ride, great friends and great hosts at Oasis. I look forward to the next trip in that direction.