09/08/08 Hogsback ou Ballies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeonS

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
A group of old Ballies from East London decided to do their own version of an "Anti-Womans-Day-ride" via Stutterheim, Khologha Forest, Keiskammahoek, Hogsback, Cathcart and back. We met up by co-incidence. A friend of my, Pat, looked at a KLR for sale, started chatting to the owner about the ride we were planning for 09/08, and the next moment we were 6!  Myself (BMW R80 G/S), Pat (Honda Africa Twin), Errol (KLR), Philip (KLR), Frans (KLR) and Vic (BMW 1200GS). Met up on the road, and rode the tar to Stutterheim, where we stopped, thawed and stretched our legs, while for the first time really meeting each other.

09_Stutt.jpg

Here we also met Lee (KLX 650), Patrick (XT 660 Tenere) & Lee's dad (1969 Royal Enfield!) who were struggling with a puncture on the Tenere. Patrick decided to turn back, the Enfield to join him and we were 7.

Then rode a short distance to the beautiful Khologha forest picnic site. Vic has never ever been onto dirt on his GS, so after Coffee and snacks he decided to turn back - back to 6 for the real ride.

Rode through beautiful scenery to Gubu dam, stretching legs at the waterfall en-route - just about dry at the moment.

Stretching legs at Gubu:

09_Gubu01.jpg

09_Gubu_02.jpg

From there onto Keiskammahoek

View of Keiskammahoek from Dontsa pass:

09_Keiskammahoek01.jpg

Here we looked for the fancifully named "Castle Eyre". Found it in the end, next to the Magistrate's court and police station:

09_CastleEyre.jpg

Was built round about 1852 as part of the British "show of intentions for permanent occupation".

09_Keiskammahoek02.jpg

Discussing maps in Keiskammahoek

Then onto Sandile dam for another look around (having smokers in the group made for lots of stops!  ;)

09_SandileDam.jpg

At Sandile dam we took a sharp right for Hogsback and a road that was unknown for all of us. It first ran along a river feeding Sandile Dam. and then started to climb the mountain with lots of hairpin bends. Then we left the last of the settlements behind to enter the forests:

Planted
09_Forest01.jpg

and natural

09_Forest02.jpg

Roads were easy up to here, but once out of the Forest for the last bit up to the madonna and Child waterfall the surface was very loose and rocky, which let to the group being spread out a bit, but everybody made it without problems.

09_Hogsback01.jpg

Onto a VERY nice lunch in Hogsback at a place just before the Filling station on the right (and which name I forgot!  :eek7:

09_Lunch.jpg

Then onto the Cathcart road, taking the Happy Valley road after a few k's.  Here the only mishap of the trip happened, with the recently rebuilt (for the 2nd time!) rear shock of my G/S decided to dump all it's oil over my back wheel - me thinks on Monday I'll have a small talk with DC Suspensions.... :mad:

09_Oilontyre.jpg

Made for very interesting riding on the last 30km Gravel to Cathcart and some VERY interesting cornering on the 130km Tar back to East London....  Also spoiled the last bit of the trip as the other guys abandoned the planned dirt roads after Cathcart to ride shotgun for me - think they though I was going to buy a farm along the N6...  ::)  .. Must confess, lokked as if was looking for a farm at times!

To all the old Ballies - Thanks for a great trip, very relaxed, good conversation & jokes & company. Must do it again soon!

FUNNIEST episodes of the trip - Lee phoning home to find out if the contractions have started yet - his wife was on her last with their 3rd child!!  ;D

Groetnis