1190 engine casing crack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

passin

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Most of you are probably familiar with the issue the 990 had with cracked engines because of the sidestand which is mounted directly to engine instead of frame.

Seems KTM learned the lesson and fixed it in the 1190, however, there is now a new vulnerability.  At the front of the engine are 2 attachment points ( not sure for what they are for, propably used in manufacturing or to fasten something to the engine ??) , and these protrude about 1/2 inch from the front and front bottom of engine casing.

When the bash-plate takes a decent knock, it will transfer the shock to the bottom protrusion, resulting in a cracked case, and leaking your unobtanium Motorex oil allover, and ending your trip right there.  The casings are paired and cannot be purchased separately, cost ~R30 000. Labour in fitting will propably be about the same amount as the whole engine will have to be stripped ???

If you do a lot of rough stuff, consider taking them off with a hacksaw, grinder, or whatever you prefer. Here a pic of mine, any ideas on how to fix while still on the bike will be welcome. I can have it welded., but everybody I spoke to that can do it asks for the part removed so it can be thoroughly cleaned before welding. Understandably I dont want to do this.

1190_casing_crack.jpg

As mentioned, if you had this problem and fixed it please share, or any ideas on fixing it welcome.