1190 Fuel Tank Range Experiment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaTuM

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
This week I decided I would ride the tank dry to see what the actual fuel range is, as I am tired of getting to the garage and only putting in 18Ltr of a 23ltr tank when the reserve light comes on.
But I wanted this to be done at realistic speeds and not "fuel saving" speed.
My daily commute, one way is 45km, 41km of which is highway, my normal travelling speed is 140-145kph (speedo) except for where I know the Picnic Police have regular cameras.
I filled up on Monday and on Wednesday morning I placed exactly 5ltr into a 7ltr fuel bladder and put it in the topbox.
After 347,2km the reserve light came on permanently after flashing a few times, I then continued until the tank ran dry.
At 423,2km the bike ran out of petrol, I poured the 5Ltr into the tank and rode to closest garage and filled up.
At 427,6km I reached the garage and filled the tank, it took 18,3Ltr. (+5Ltr = 23.3L plus 4.4km to garage est 200ml; Total tank capacity 23.4-23.5Ltr)

I would estimate that for highway travel, a safe total estimated range would be 400km at 140-145kph
Once the reserve light illuminates permanently I estimate a safe reserve range to be  60km

The OBC (On Board Computer) fuel consumption was reflected as 5,2Ltr/100km for this tank
At my estimate the total tank capacity is in the region of 23.4Ltr
At above the average speed limits and "normal" spirited riding (not riding for best consumption) my actual consumption was = 18.25km/Ltr  Or 5.47ltr/100km