1200 GSA rear mudguard breaking off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushbaby

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
HI

I did a Memel passes and then on to Lesotho roundtrip the long weekend (snow on Sani prevented me from going up there with a pillion and full luggage :-[) but my GS adventure's rear mudguard broke off the second time. The first time was last year somewhere and only the top bolt snapped off and Clearwater BMW replaced the little steel plate and bolt. Getting into Underberg Friday afternoon late I noticed the mudguard hanging and actually touching the tyre.

Upon removing it the plastic around the 2 bolts that were still there was cracked and disintegrated as it could not withstand the vibrations and extra weight it had to carry.

It is actually a shitty design having the mudguard attached to the rear diff area as it moves with it and when hitting rough gravel it takes a pounding. The attachment points in the plastic guard have very little reinforcement to deal with the strain.

Hitting the road in rain and sleet without this piece also meant the water spray went everywhere off the back tyre.

I have seen some GS riders without the back mudguard but I actually quite like the look of it and the protection it is suppose to give ito stones and water coming off the back tyre.

Did anyone deal with this problem ito a proper fix?