• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1983 XT600 Tenere. With papers R8000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGAF

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
So I am fed up with commuting on bikes. Accordingly I am selling my beloved XT600 and waiting till the mood changes.

Bike is in decent condition over all and has been serving me for the last year faithfully.

K's : Who knows... Speedo is working, and I have done 10 000Km since rebuild, but not sure of total.

Good Points:

In December/January the engine was COMPLETELY overhauled... every single nut, washer o-ring and bolt inside the engine was checked and replaced as needed.
All clearances and play were checked
I spent roughly R15k getting the engine sorted.. It's got a new piston, rings, re-sleeved barrel, cam chain etc etc etc. too much to mention here. I have invoices for almost all the work done.
The bike has been running strong for a 8 odd months without any problems.. and it still pulls like a freight train.
Tires were replaced in Dec, still good.
Chain + Sprockets done two months ago, still good.
New fat bars + risers + bark-busters + fold-able mirrors installed in Jan.
A whole bunch more stuff replaced and repaired in Jan which I can't recall now.

Bad Points:
Main reason for price: is that the bike now has a pretty severe oil leak. It's on the right side crank case cover. What's needed to fix it is just another gasket ( Quoted R250 at Yamaha ) The work can be done just by leaning the bike on it's side and it's really nothing major.
The bike still runs PERFECTLY and can be taken for a test drive, although oil gets onto the rear tire so caution is needed.
Another small oil leak on top of the head... NOT between the gasket and cylinder.. it's higher up... I was told it's just a loose bolt and that the oil was pushing past it. Probably just need  take the tank off and tighten it.
Electrics do not seem to be working, was working perfectly and one morning just nothing.. probably the battery.. I don't know.
Front left fork seal is going ( R800 to replace both )
Right side plastic cover is broken from a minor off. ( R650 at Yamaha )
Seat has some cracking on it from my fat ass sitting on it.
Front disk needs to be made flat ( R400 )

The bike has NEVER run without oil, does not smoke and internally I am sure it's perfect. ( This big oil leak happened yesterday, have not ridden the bike since as I am afraid of dropping it with oil on the tire. )

I have listed all the bad parts to be as honest as possible.

That being said, this is still a HUGE bargain and an awesome project for someone. I might be slightly neg on price. In all honesty, with another R5K you will have and AWESOME bike. Come and have a look.

Can't take calls during the day, but can take PM's / emails, or you can call me after 4Pm.
Alex O78 Nine Nine 8 3728

First pic was taken a month ago +-... last ones were taken this morning... the bike just needs a wash to make it look like the first pic :)

117g10l.jpg

2w1v9tg.jpg

2imaxsp.jpg

jakzsz.jpg