1st time below the equator, 1st adv trip and 1st time eating braai, i love SA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfukuda87

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Greetings!

Name's Ken and originally from California from a town right near San Francisco. Just flew into Cape Town from West Africa where I spent the last 2 years serving as an American Peace Corps volunteer teacher in a very rural and undeveloped village in Liberia. At 25 years of age, I can without a doubt say that that experience has been the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have done in my life so far. I heard about this forum from a friend and fellow member of WD named Legolas. Have already met a couple other members on here in random pubs and so far, everyone has been so warm and helpful like you wouldn't believe.

About a year and a half ago while staring at a candle and sprawling out under my mosq net in my village i began fantasizing about doing an end of service moto trip. Eventually got Chris Scott's Adv Motorcycling book and told myself that if i survived and finished this volunteer service, I'd reward myself with a trip from Cape Town to Nairobi using some funds that i had saved up from over the years. Well i completed my two years of teaching in the bush and now here i am, in Cape Town. A close mate of mine will be flying in from San Francisco on Aug 3 and he too will be doing this trip with me.

Figured it’d be more appropriate to post the exact but oh-so-tentative trip details on the Planning a Ride section of the forum so here’s the link to that post.

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=103713.0

It’s a pleasure to finally be in South Africa, a place where I’ve dreamed about visiting since i was a small child. I am also doubly excited about finally making this moto-trip-dream of mine a reality. With that said, i think it’s evident that i’m still very new to adventure motorcycling and that my pockets aren’t lined with cash. If any of you would be as so kind to offer me any advice, tips and/or suggestions regarding my trip, that really would help me out a lot. I appreciate it.

Cheers!
Ken