2000 R1150GS Newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Hi All,

I’ve been browsing the forum for a while now but this is my first post so please be gentle ;D

I recently purchased a 2000 1150 GS with 26k on the clock.  She is really neat but proof of full service history not available so no way to be 100% sure about the mileage.  Took it to a shop in Bellville for a complete check and they replaced all the fluids, oil filter and checked valve clearance.  Running well after that but recently I noticed a whine/whistling sound from about 80km/h onwards , clearer when I let off the throttle and the pitch varies, revs don’t make a difference and neither does engaging the clutch or brakes.  Difficult to say if it is a new sound as I’ve only done about 400km and this is my first GS.

I’ve checked the alternator and belt and both seem fine and as per above the sound is linked to speed not revs.

Today I ran it in 1st on the center stand and heard a slight klunk-klunk sound from the drive shaft area – Normal? Maybe a separate issue?

Any ideas?  Where do I start? How much noise can a badly/unevenly worn front tyre make? Heidenau

Attachments

• DSC_0195.jpg
    DSC_0195.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 253