• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2005 1200 GS - 145 000 km - R42 000 - Northern Suburbs Western Cape

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisbein

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi !

Due to my 4x4 plans that are kinda falling through I have decided to 'consolidate', add a bit of my 4x4 funds and then start searching for a much newer GSA or Super Ten.

The details:

R1200GS
145 100 km (I've had it since 60 000km)
R42 000 negotiable

PM, reply here or phone Zero Eight Three 647 6347
Also e-mail wstemmet at gmail.com

I live in Kraaifontein and work in Parow in Cape Town.

Things that I have added/modified/fixed:
- A headlight and oil cooler protector
- An accelerator module fitted.
- Touratech oil filler cap
- I have added a dashboard mounted powersocket through a fuse directly from the battery
- I added spotlights (same fuse as the power socket but switched through a relay and a handlebar switch).
(I used the useless power outlet under the seat as the 'control input' for the relay, so that power socket doesn't have power anymore)
- I replaced the (30Amp) starter relay with a generic one after the previous one got drowned by a post service wash.
- At 100 000km I had the final drive redone (bearings replaced by Shane when he was still at Auto Atlantic)
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=58823.0
- At 130 000km I replaced the front rim (it got a smiley years before with a front blowout) - Hein Lutzeler supplied and laced it.
- Also at 130 000km I took the front and rear shocks to Martin Paetzold to have completely rebuilt (new valves, seals, gas, oil and 15% - stronger than standard springs.
- I replaced the right hand side indicator switch with a PC 'reset switch'
(https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=79136.0)

Things that I know that is wrong/not working:
- As mentioned the right hand indicator switch isn't standard, but it works well.

- The ignition doesn't like getting wet (riding in rain is fine, but when standing in the rain I always drape something over the ignition to keep the water out. It's been like that since day one and it never bothered me.

- The grips are waaay past their use by date - I fixed it by covering it with cricket bat grips

- Talking about grips - the right hand heater doesn't heat up (it does get power there though)

- The gear indicator is a bit fiddly to get to show neutral sometimes. (When it happens it still start when you pull in the clutch)

- The side stand switch acts up every now and then (it happens very seldom and when it does a bit of a 'open and close' get it sorted).

- I replaced the left hand main coil pack at about 130 000km

- The left spot light (a R55 Checkers special on a bracket) rattled off on a trip I did in November (the bracket broke) - the right hand bulb blew, but if I flip the switch I still get power on the wiring, so the switch and relay is still in tact. I've been meaning to fix, but you know how it goes.

- The previous owner pre scratched it for me (he went over a railway crossing at low speed and then lost the bike to the right - scratches on the right hand tupperware and the right tappet cover. Just never got around to having these looked at.

- It has the usual dings and scratches (photos below)

- Like with a couple I have heard of the left hand plastic sidecover's front came lose at 120km/h and bent the mounting bracket back. I had the left alu tank cover replaced, but the side cover still has a tare because of it.

- It doesn't have the 'poop scoop' anymore.

- There is an 'almost tear' on the seat - it isn't all the way through and have been looking like that for a bit, but at some point it will need attention.

What you get:

The 40l Givi topbox and custom mounting bracket comes with the bike.

Wide pegs

Bar risers

Touratech pot guards and crash bars

The RAM ball mount I'll probably remove to use on the next bike.

I have BMW the bits and pieces that get bolted to the subframe to attach the standard panniers.

Karoo 3 on the front with good life still in them

Heidi on the back that will get it through road worthy and then probably a couple of thousand k's after that.

Technical:

Although it doesn't have the book stamped, the services at 70 000km and 80 000 (major) was done at Hamman, 90 000 - 120 000km was done at Alfred (including all the major service items at 120 000km. For 130 000km I took it to Shane (at Helderberg at the time) to check everything thoroughly and then at 140 000km it was back at Alfred. From 100 000 km onwards I asked them to always replace the gearbox oil as well as check the final drive (and replace its oil) in addition to the regular service items.
Alfred gave it a clean bill of health at 140 000km.

It used about 500ml of oil from the service at 140 000km up to now (5000km later).

It still pulls very strong and is a pleasure to ride.

I only recently started thinking about the option of selling to buy newer, otherwise I would have kept it.
I still regularly trust me and my wife on it through remote areas without giving a 2nd thought to the reliability.

Due to the high kilos I got the XT for the main commute to work, but at least once a week (mostly on Fridays) it did the work run.

Pics:
GS001.jpg

GS002.jpg

GS003.jpg

GS005.jpg

GS012.jpg

GS015.jpg

The cork is for free:

GS016.jpg

Front tyre (Karoo 3):

GS013.jpg

Rear Heidi: