2009 KTM adventure Service advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-twin

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi WD's

So I bought a 2009 ktm 990 adventure about 4 months ago with +-24600km on the clock.
When I got it I thought it had just been serviced prior to the sale. But through my stupidity from not listening (as the seller actually told me this)
I found out it was last serviced at 15000km. The clock now stands at +-29000km so its desperately due for a 30000km service.
I wouldn't say that these few thousand k's that I put on it was hard mileage as I'm still a novice biker and is still taking it slow, however it has seen
a its fair share of dirt roads and mine dumps where I take it to get to know the bike a bit better. I don't know if its only my mind playing tricks on me
or me getting used to the power of the bike, but since I was informed that it was last serviced at 15k the bike suddenly felt a bit powerless (Not dead slow, it just doesn't feel like it pulls as much as it did when I got it.) which is probably understandable.

Before I bought it my friends told me to watch out for the katooms as their parts and services are very expensive but that didn't scare me off as I hesitated to buy a lesser or same bike as my friend's GS800. ;D
Now that I have to service it I have to " haal uit en hoes". RAD moto quoted me +-R5000 for the 30k service, I mean, liewe wetter ma se gat! but thats more than any car service I've ever heard of.

Thus I looked at many options but this is what I came to :(which will still "chase a lot of bokke" out of my pocket)
I am going to do most of the 30k service myself and according to many katoom riders I should only use original ktm parts.
Parts to be serviced:
1. oil 10W40 -R195/L-  (the owners manual says 10W50 but I cant find it anyware and factory racing said they use 10W40, so 10W40 it is...Advice please?)
2. Fuel Filter - R904
3. oil filter (not the oil filter kit with the screens and  etc. That I will clean myself.) - R150
4. UNI filter (washable foam air filter) -R1200
5. Spark plugs -R247 each
6. Will get the valve clearances checked at Adventure Biketech as they are closest to me and do a good job from previous experiences. Unless someone can advise me that its not
    a difficult job. I'm just scared I might "jaag kak aan".

Would anyone please advise me if I missed something, get parts for better prices or anything that could save some bucks for this service.
Any comments are welcome, Toppies kan my maar uitskel indien nodig, my Pa het my geleer: "As jy dom is moet jy sukkel".
So please help a "dom novice biker" :biggrin:

Regards
V-twin
P.S sorry for the long background