2016 NC750X - review with pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyStriker

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
So I tested the 2016 Honda NC750X yesterday.

It is mostly unchanged since last year's model. The few upgrades that there are include:

LED tail light
Smaller muffler (much better looking)
utility rail on 'tank' to secure tank bag
Larger front brake caliper
Taller screen - adjustable with vents that reduce buffetting
New LCD clocks that change colour as riding changes (glows green when you ride like a good boy, blue when riding normal, red when you are being a proes straat pretoria)
Larger helmet box - although it was still too small to take my Arai Tour-X
L-shape tyre valves - why in the hell don't all bikes have these!
New DCT gearbox - the first one that actually works well
More adjustments available on the Showa suspension
Adaptive clutch for smoother changes
New stickers

We rode mostly tar around Harties but I did ride a short dirt road on which I did all sorts of foolish things.
I can tell you that a Versys will outperform the NC750X in a heartbeat. The Honda isn't very fast and it doesn't have astonishing acceleration. I managed to get 166 km/h on the clocks but it took forever to get there. There was a female journalist in our group who weighed - I guess - around 50kg and she managed to reach 172 km/h.
The sixth gear is merely an overdrive gear to save fuel. It can't actually accelerate in sixth.
I did think that the suspension was a lot better than that of the Versys, especially on dirt and potholed roads. The only thing that keeps the NC750 off dirt are those tiny wheels. I would hate to ride it on sand.

Great commuter and even a nice Sunday drive bike for you and your partner. It does dirt just fine as long as it's not sandy or too rocky.
So, it's not a long distance adventure bike but it is a lovely fun bike that shouldn't cost more than R3 000 a month to own (including installments, insurance, services and fuel)

Attachments

• Hero1a.jpg
    Hero1a.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 305
  • Hero2a.jpg
    Hero2a.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 312
  • Hero3a.jpg
    Hero3a.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 324
  • Hero4a.jpg
    Hero4a.jpg