2021 CAPE TOUR ( SALDANA FOR XMAS )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
My partners son has moved to Saldana and we plan to go visit him in December , part of our tour tt the WC . Now there are 3 -4 route options down and back , Early planning looks like we could depart on the 16 th and return by the 1st , shortest /fastest route is N1 , then via Kimberly , 2 options , via Upington and last garden route .
My first option would be to ride down to George/Mosselbay and from there make our way to cape town , And then ride up to Saldana on the 24 th , stay ther until the 27th and then slowly head home . We will make use of B&B , guest hoses , lodges . And hope to be in a budget of around R650 a night .
i would like to get some route suggestion as well as must see places along the way down and then back home . If we go to Mossel bay area we could ride the R62 TO Montague , or  from Mossel bay the N2 to Swellendam and then up Trapdoors pass  to Barrydale . have done this part before and it was great , Would like to fit in as many of the passes as possible .
We will have about 7 days to get to Cape town , and about 5 days to get home .
last year we went down to Mossel bay to look at property , and found a lot of centipedes on the road in the Karroo , is the a yearly occurrence ?  My jeep was covered in a white mixture of crushed centipede , not keen to have it all over my bike , aware bike can be washed and I do it on tour .
this is early days and lots can change , but for now preplanning is to make our way down on the 16th to Middleburg (ec)  sleep over then next day to Oudshoorn . here we can maybe stay a day or two . do a round trip via Roberts pass and back up Outeniqua pass , maybe go to the Cango caves , will see , Then ride to Montague and Worcester , Paarl , Malmesbury  and on to Saldana .
Then on the way back we can stop in Ceres and go try the zipline there before riding the possible boring roads home , not sure if we must go north via Calvinia , Williston , Brits town . or the dreaded N1 up to Three sisters and then n12 to Kimberley .
I did this route on a previous cape tour and it was super boring , but was on the way home , long hard but ride .
Any suggestions will be more than welcome as i have time to fine tune the trip . closer to the time I will book and pay the accommodation in SALDANA for the xmas weekend , for the rest we are going to wing it , Have bookin app on my phone , we have inter net , and can make a plan to find accommodation for one night .  Never had a problem in the past , ther is always place available .