650 class - Jhb to Dullstroom, overnighter. Cancelled. Bike sold.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blauth

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I'm curious to see if there would be any interest in a ride to my dads place next weekend, leave Saturday and back on Sunday.

He has a self catering place so there should be plenty accommodation. This is what I normally do when I go visit:
Railways with some technical play spots on the way if wanted up to Bronhorstspruit, dirt roads to Loskop dam, lunch, more dirt (or some tar depending on time) and then dirt again to Tonteldoos road into back end of Dullstroom. Beer or two at Dullstroom Inn. Then another 35km to my dads farm in Belfast direction.

Total distance there 430km.

Ride back goes through Belfast, fill up, head back to Middleburg via Railway service roads. I normally follow the railways from Middleburg to Witbank too and by then I'm Gatvol and head back on the tar. If we leave before 8, we can be home with families in the afternoon and feel like you don't want to look at your bike for a week or two. Ride back about 300km.

I ride a DRZ400 and my pace is reasonably quick with only a few breaks in between. If you are a good rider a bigger bike is fine, especially on the second half of day one but my favorite size is a 650 class dual sport for this ride. Ideal bikes in my opinion are XR, DR, KLR (at a push), 690 etc.

I think my dad will be ok with R300.00 per person for the night and I could ask him to get us beers and meat (On your account) in advance for a braai there. All you need to carry with you is puncture repair stuff, spare underpants, socks, t-shirt and toiletries.

We can work out the accommodation when I see interest.

One precursor......no riding like dooses on the farm!! His place: https://rainbowlodge.co

Dams have had major construction so they are a bit kak at the moment.