800.....or?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there folks!

As i said in my introduction, really new to the adventure riding scene, and looking to learn as much as possible from the forum!

So for my 1st question - where on earth to start?  ???

Firstly, I'm quite a novice to biking, and have never been adventure riding before.....I'm always willing to learn, and can see myself spending a lot of time at riding academy's which i don't mind one bit  ;D

Next, i see a bike as a big investment, and don't want to find myself on one for a year, only having to trade it in because it's not something i should have bought in the 1st place, and i know test riding a bike is important in this  ;)

And so here i am.....800.....or?

I'm looking for a bike which will allow me to tour across the country, while still allowing me to access those hard to reach, and often inaccessible places.

I'm open to suggestions, but so far I've narrowed my search down to the following -

BMW 800GS
BMW 1200GS Adventure
Triumph Tiger 800
*KTM CT Oryx 690

I know the 1200 is a BIG bike, especially for someone with little to no adventure and touring experience, but i love the range you get with those big tanks! i guess it's comforting touring in those remote places, not having to worry about running out of fuel?
And i know the Oryx is a specially built adventure bike, but how would it be for touring with panniers added? could it accommodate those and a passenger / pillion?

I don't mind looking at buying new - except for the 1200......a bit tooooo far out of my price range  ;) :'( but I'm also not too phased about purchasing a demo or 2nd hand bikes, obviously as long as it's looked after and cared for?
I'm probably looking to spend up to about R120k, but obviously if i can spend less, I'LL be a lot happier  :biggrin:

So gents, free to comment and give your suggestions!
If it helps at all, I'm 1.85m tall and 86kg's if that makes any difference with what size bike and engine will suite me?

Thanks again in advance for the help!

Marshy

Ps* sorry if this is in the wrong section moderators?  ??? :-[