950 clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonova

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
OK - i know this topic has been covered many times...... but my quick take on it...
I am going through my bike slowly and getting her ready for a trip come oct-nov.....
Decided to service the clutch slave cylinder (it's not leaking, but is a little sticky?), so bought a viton o-ring (R10 i think?)and mineral oil.. stole a big syringe from work, and bought some tubing from a fish store and got to it.
It's really easy and requires only a pair of circlip pliers extra (if you have the toolkit, or just basic tools).
Once i removed the slave - i noticed a HELL of a lot of rust and gunk throughout the system. Cleaned it all up, replaced the viton seal, drained the system (the oil was dirty grey/black) and replaced the piston making sure to put the piston in straight. Just a note - make sure the circlip is seated properly after.
then i packed the area where the pushrod comes out the engine with grease, and used a silicon gasket maker to seal all the surfaces of the mechanism - (all 3 sets of them) so that no more water can enter. I think this is a good idea?

Another thing to note - i filled the cylinder with new oil before inserting the piston again - i think this helped alot in ease of bleeding the system....which i did from the bottom...... and then proceeded to do it from the top too just to be sure  ;D

The reason i'm posting this is cause it's easy, and the dealers had obviously not done it on my bike in awhile.....
i'd recommend anyone to check it at least.

The clutch is now oh so sweet and smooth! makes me feel better and from now on i'll do an oil change on my clutch every major service...
Next time i'm gonna check the clutch plates and probably replace the pushrod cause i hear they wear...