Advice needed regarding an incident with the driver of a vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Hi Wild Dogs

I need some advice from those with experience and/or relevant knowledge.  I had an incident on the way to work this morning, which I believe warrants some legal action against another road user.  I was travelling south on the N1 in Cape Town past Century City on my motorbike, and I was between the middle and right-hand lanes.  There were vehicles on both sides of me, with the one in the middle lane travelling faster than the one in the right-hand lane.  Both were slower than me, and I was accelerating into the right-hand lane.  As I did this, the vehicle in the middle lane suddenly also moved into the right-hand lane, having only passed the vehicle in the right-hand lane by about 1 meter.  He did not use his indicator, and made the movement very quickly.  Thankfully my reactions were quick enough and I was able to brake and swerve just enough to avoid a collision.  Once I had re-composed myself, I accelerated and moved into the middle lane to the left of the vehicle, passing him.  As I did this, I hooted at the driver, and I also pointed to my eyes, thus telling him that he should use his, and made a flashing motion with my hand, thus telling him to use his indicator.  The driver then moved into the middle lane as well, and accelerated up to about 1 meter behind me, thus threatening to hit me.  I did not respond to this.  He then moved into the right-hand lane again, and accelerated until he was next to me.  He then pointed a finger at me, and shouted threats which I could unfortunately not hear.  I did not respond to this either.  He then accelerated again, and moved into the middle lane and decelerated, thus trying to cause a collision again.  I moved to the right-hand lane, and accelerated to be next to him.  I stayed in this position for about a minute, in order to get a good look at him, for purposes of being able to identify him later.  During this time he made movements to the right-hand side, thus threatening to cause a collision again.  At this point, traffic slowed down, I moved in between the middle and right-hand lane, and I left him behind.

This would have been something that I would have wanted to report to the authorities had it been a regular road user.  The fact that the vehicle in question was a South African Police vehicle motivates me to a far greater extent to take action.  Please let me know what I can do to ensure that the appropriate action is taken against him, and that he is not allowed to act in this manner again?  I do have the registration number, as well as a rough description of the driver and his passenger's appearance.

Please note: I am not asking for advice on if I should take action or not.  Your opinion on this is duly noted, but of no use to me.  I am asking for advice on how I should take action.