Africa Twin rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINZI

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
Hi all, I bought an Africa Twin just after my shoulder operation 2,5 months ago. It is a 1997 model with 49000km on the clock. It has been a boyhood dream to own one of these. I also own a R1200GS Adventure. So var I have stripped the bike and had all the panels repaired and resprayed. New chain cover made and sorted all the wiring due to the previous owner being a total twat when it came to wiring the new fuel pump and extra spotlights. The new colour is the broze/gold that was in one of the 'stripes', origional colour being black. I know the purists will most probably stone me for not adding all the decals, but it is in the thought prosess at this stage. I picked up the new tires today. Went with the 90/90/21 front and 150/80/17 Shinko Trail Master E705. I went with this tyre because it is a little bit more agrresive than the Anakee2's on my GSA.

I bought the AT to do ride the dirt roads that I do not want to with the GSA, due to weight and cost issue. I might sound like a complete wussy, but I do not want to damage the GSA on the long dirt roads. Although I have done 100's of km's of dirt on the GSA, I just felt that I am tired of not enjoying myself because I was scared of damage to the GSA. Now that the AT has been resrayed and assembeled, I have to choose the dirt roads carefully as I do not want to stuff the AT up either.

I am sending her in to get the rear shock and front forks rebuilt tomorrow. The motor is very smooth and I can not hear any funny noises at any revs. Mechanically, the AT is in a very good condition. The bearings will be checked and replaced if needed when the tires are being fitted.

Is there any other things I should check or watch out for while I am busy with the rebuild?

I still think that it was a very good bargain. 40k for the bike, 2550 for the cosmetics and respray, 2400 for the shocks and forks, 1650 for new tires and inners. The bike came with panniers and the plugs (which I changed when the tank was off) and an oil filter.

What oil would be the best suitable to use on this model?

Thanks in advance for the feedback and info. Is there anybody on the Westrand that also have an AT?