Alan's BMW R100 Cafe Racer Thread - FINISHED, - Sold to Mudcakedface.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Al

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
13 May

Hi guys and gurls,

Over the past few months, I've personally had an urge to own a Cafe Racer, and Jupiter's thread and leCaps threads of Cafe Racers added fuel to the fire. To top this, Max was interested in doing this to see what the interest would be in reselling a properly built Cafe Racer. Max decided almost immediately, that we'd do this using a BMW R100 as the base to work from, as he has substantial experience in these bikes, So, this thread is our personal experiences in buying, road-worthying, and then stripping and rebuilding a BMW R100 into a decent, "new" Cafe Racer. Although this first bike is originally intended to be sold, you never know, if no one buys it, we'll use it personally, until I can find one for myself that is.

This is the Bike in question, as bought from Doerengone, a WD member. We went and saw 3 bikes before this one, and it was the best condition R100 in Cape Town at that time, with all the important bits 100% intact. Although we don't intend to use the Fairing, or standard indicators, etc etc, these are still much sought after items if you intend doing an original restore, which we might do at a later stage.

home.jpg

The past week we've removed the cowling and done some basic fix-up's in preperation to take it through roadworthy. Stripped and cleaned the Carbs, got the bike to idle smoothly and checked all electrics, repairing some burnt circuits along the way. Once time and weather allows, we'll give it toa thorough wash and lube, and I'm going to attempt a Roadworthy. As soon as it's licenced and in my name, then we'll start the strip down process and rebuild. I'll date each post to keep a timeline of the build process as well.

More to follow soon.