An Intro ? More than 30 years ago????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avon

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
We (SWMBO & I) did the ?responsible? thing and took one last ride on the Kawa Z750 twin, sold it and started raising a family.

Years went by so quickly and then one day out on a farm my son encouraged me to try out a Zuk Ozark 250. Yes, a quadbike. He reckoned that it?s an easy ride for someone of a more mature age. Se gat man, a few weeks later two sportier LTZ 250?s were parked in the garage and the fun began. A new passion developed, beautiful places to go, new areas to visit and the odd - I think it?s called ?oh sh1t? moments.

No serious offs, no damage done to the bikes or harm done to the environment or any animals, etc. in more than a year already ? touching my grey hair as I type this. We tried the various faces of the quad scene; Saturdays at the local beer garden, oops sorry I meant to say local tracks, weekends away at exotic venues, and our favourite weekends away on private farms. We learned that you can spend almost as much on protective gear than on the bike. Fortunately common sense and old age made us realise that you can also ride safely with a little bit of patience, experience and training.

Then one day a very good friend of mine offers his GS650 ? he had to get the damn thing to the tar road before I had the guts to go it alone. Less than 500 meters up that very same tar road it all came back as if by magic. I could still balance myself on a tweelie ? whoopee!! Things then happened pretty fast, got another loaner courtesy of my son again ? Yammie 180 on/off dikwiel which I rode daily in this lovely traffic of ours for about three weeks. Took a few rides on a 650 SV and DL and then took the plunge and got me my dream bike.

The magic of technology ? heated grips, front screen adjust at the push of a button, linked ABS, ESA on the fly nogal, and yes, I also got suckered into the Beemer lifestyle gear (wife almost had a heart attack when she saw that bill ? but after a Lowveld trip recently in the cold she agreed money well spent).

I have been assured by some Krazy oke that the mere fact the word ?touring? appears in the name R1200RT, I would be welcomed into this DS (is that Dirty Stofgatte?) community. Must admit I have been lurking around here for a few months already - the trip reports also influenced my purchase decision.

https://lh4.google.com/image/avon.vosloo/Rl7cBFp5flI/AAAAAAAAABQ/cckbkkRaQBc/R1200RT.jpg?imgmax=576

Flame away..........I'm wearing all the gear :twisted: