Anvil Bash: Tulbagh - Dakar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mof

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
We're planning a get together on my farm, near Calvinia on the weekend 26 -28 August 2011. It is the same weekend as the Calvinia Vleisfees.

The proceeds will go to Tau's Dakar fund.

Food

Offal pot Friday night, spit Saturday night. (Let me know if you're scared so I can organize something else.)
Breakfasts will be coffee/tea and leftovers.
There will be some braaipacks available for Saturday lunch to be purchased at the time as some will possibly be out riding or visiting the Vleisfees then.
Vegetarian option: Doringboom peule.

Accomodation

There will be large army tents sleeping about 15 people each(own bedding) or space to pitch your own.
A bakkie will be travelling up from Cape Town for your luggage.

Ablution

Basic at best!
You will experience a little bit of the suffering a Malle Moto entrant will have to go through on the Dakar!
Seperate loo for the ladies. Longdrops and bushes for the gents.
There might even be a hot shower.

Cost

R200, this includes Friday and Saturday dinner and there will be some coffee/tea, rusks and leftovers for breakfast.
Sat lunch, booze, bar snacks and shirts excluded. There will be some fuel at normal pump prices.

Payable to:
DJV van der Merwe
Standard Bank, Calvinia 050006
Acc nr 082 985 685
Ref: forum name

DirectionsRevised aro river

From Calvinia take the R27/R63 towards Williston for 53km (from Calvinia). Turn right on the Koppieskraal road and sharp right again after the second cattle grid (appr 1km). Follow that road for appr 14km past 4 farmyards. You will come to a white gate with white stone posts (see on map) where you keep left past the gate and follow the green route/ Anvil markers to the bash site.

From Middelpos go 20km towards Calvinia and turn right. There are 3 options at this junction: straight to Calvinia, sharp right to Bonekraal and the one you want between them. Go 20km on that road to the farmyard (the 1st one right on the road). You'll then have to continue on that road for 14km, turn right on the R63 towards Williston for appr 5km and take the Koppieskraal road to the right again. Follow direstions as above.

From Williston take the R63 to Calvinia for 60km and turn left on the Koppieskraal road. Follow directions as above.

I will try and put route markers up from the R63.

GPS

Farmyard: 31°34'00.00 S ; 20°17'20.00 E

Revised Turn-off from R63: 31°25'58.00"S ; 20°18'12.00" E

Turn-off from R354: 31°46'26.00" S ; 20°16'25.50" E

Important info
Please find attached a map of the farm tracks. There will be markers at the junctions in the colours of the tracks as per the map, so either print it on a colour printer or highlight/mark the tracks in the correct colour after printing.
The river divides the farm in a Western and Eastern side. The numbers next to the tracks indicate the approximate distance(km) for that particular colour on that particular side of the farm.
The dotted blue lines are two suggested short cuts between tracks using dry 'riverbeds' (leegtes) and footpaths. They will have very technical sections. They will be tricky to mark but I will at least mark the entrance points and attempt to fit in a run the week before so you'll see bike tracks.
There are more leegtes which you may feel free to play in but not that you can use as shortcuts as you will run into a fence. You may use well trodden footpaths as well but please keep in mind that you're riding in a veld type that takes ages to recover so if you are riding over a plant or digging a trench up a slope you're being a bad guest.
I suggest sturdy trousers as the bushes will bitchslap your legs.
One other thing is to be careful of the thorn trees, don't park under them for shade as you'll probably get a puncture.
Lastly I suggest a buddy rule for obvious reasons but then again, Ive never had one in 30 odd years.

Attachments

• Plaaspaaie.JPG
    Plaaspaaie.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 201