Any suggestions for a cheap, light bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerc

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Mrs Zerc is interested in learning how to ride a bike and we were thinking of getting something that she could learn on as well as something I could play with in more technical areas.  Our requirements are light, cheapish, not too tall, preferably new as I don't want to worry too much about reliability at first but not a grey import as I'm no good with mechanical issues if I need to service it myself. Also it would be nice if the bike can do at least 100km/h without too much strain so that she can still join me on short rides. I saw that Adventurer bought a Serow 225 which he seems to have fun with but the grey import nature of it makes me think it's not the bike we are looking for. The Yamaha DT175 seems like a contender - about R24000, not too tall, engine while small should be large enough for our needs. The cons are kickstart and drum brakes but I don't know if these are really that big a problem.

Does anybody have any comments about the DT175 or any other suggestions for less than R30000?