Arc Welding Electrode- Choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWT

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Arc welding electrodes; my rod of choice is or should I say used to be Afrox Vitemax, extremely expensive but by most considered to be the benchmark general purpose electrode, and for practice and rondfok I normally buy Pinnacle or Afrox Arcmate or Tradeweld  or whatever I can get for sub R200/ 5kg in 2.5mm

Yesterday I could not get the Pinnacles at Adendorfs and decided to then get the Arcmates at Makro, once at Makro the attendant in the tool section convinced me to try the Ryobi Prostrike 6013’s, they're also well priced at R200 for 5kg. At first I was reluctant because I’m not a fond supporter of Ryobi but this guy was so convincing that I had no choice but to give it a go.

After burning a pile of rods today, I am completely blown away and the Ryobi Prostrike is now the rod of my choice. I feel so strong about it that if I now had to choose between the Vitemax and the Prostrike at the same price, I would hands down go for the Prostrike
This rod has all the features that one would hope to get from a welding electrode and I can strongly recommend them