Ballito - Mtunzini Ride report, 25 July 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicco

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Chicco - 990
Gunda Gunda -Tenere
Navi - XT
777 - XT
Nixon -990
Jules (the KZN one) - 640

The original plan was to get going 06h30 from Salt Rock Caravan Park but after it seemed I was going to ride by myself I changed the time to 07h30. 5 guys took the bait and the ride was on. I was still lying in bed next to my trailer trash floozy when I heard the sound of a Tennere at the security gate, it was Gunda Gunda and I was caught with my pants down. I jumped out of bed and rushed outside to meet him but by that time he was already on the beach taking photos. With the help of the caravan park Manager I quickly set up a table with coffee and by that time most of the other guys arrived. We meeted and greeted over a cup of coffee and debated on which roads to explore.

After setting a course we sat of but after about 15 km we run into our first obstacle. The GPS showed a road but there was a gate, the last thing we want was to be shot at, (again….for some of us apparently….) we turned around and took an alternative route. Just before the Tugela River we saw the “Ultimatum Tree” sign and decided to have some cappuccino under the Ultimatum tree. (Thanks Gundagunda…)

Fort Pearson and the Ultimatum Tree are National Monuments. The Fort was built in 1878 and named after Colonel Charles Pearson, who led one of the columns that invaded Zululand in 1879. There is no building, just trenches and tent sites. It was under the Ultimatum Tree that delegates of King Cetshwayo, son of Mapande who was brother of Shaka, were given an ultimatum by the British Government to pay taxes and return stolen cattle by mid January 1879, or there would be war. War raged until August of that year, when Cetshwayo was captured There are war graves at the foot of the hill from that time.
This site I still used today for Ultimatums, apparently you take your girlfriend to this spot and give her an ultimatum, if she says no she has to walk back home.

From there it was fast gravel to the mighty Mutigulu river. There wasn’t a track on the GPS to cross the river but after asking some locals they showed us were the level was low (S29 01.558 E31 28.580) and we pointed out trusted steeds towards the water. The river was running about 1-2 feet deep but was about 50 m long. After everyone made it across safely I went back to just do it again, the first time my bike nearly stalled and I had to break the Mighty Mutigulu’s back.
Gunda took it slow and steady and Nixon charged it like he was on a jet ski….the rest of us was somewhere there in-between. It was getting late and we pushed on to Mtunzini for an excellent breakfast at the Fat Cat, this place needs to be visited again soon.

Thanks guys for an awesome ride.

Attachments

• IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1668.JPG
    IMG_1668.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_1673.JPG
    IMG_1673.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1671.JPG