Banshee horn issues with BMW 650 & 1100

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernoulli

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
I have had problems getting the Banshee to work on my '98 1100GS and contacted Peter at Screaming Banshee - who now proposed a solution. I have not tested it yet (still have to buy the relay) but thought to publish it here since others may have the same issue. According to him it only occurs on some BMW 650's and now my 1100 :mad:

-----Original Message-----

Subject: RE: Trouble shooting - SA

Hi,

Attached is what I had the guy with the F650 do, it does involve buying a relay and wiring it up in a specific way. The idea is to isolate the stock horn form the Banshee system.  It worked for the F650, hopefully it also works for your model. The good news is the relay is only about $2 and is available everywhere so there is no need to wait while we ship parts to you.

This is the best solution I have at present, we are working on a revision to the control unit to isolate it internally but this is still 4-6 weeks down the track,

Please let me know if this works for you,

Best Regards,

Peter

----------------------------

Hi, sorry about the delay, I wanted to research this one a bit before replying,

We do have one other person here in the US with a similar issue. It just applies to a few models of BMW (F650 and R1100GS that we know of) . It seems that there is some sort of electrical interference generated by the BMW horn that causes our control unit to ignore the signal.

I worked out a solution for the guy with the F650 that worked, give me 10 minutes and I will send you the info that I sent to him,

Best Regards

Peter

To: Peter Olt

Hi Peter

Connected the blue wire to positive last night and there was life - both horn and headlight pulsed and the dog ran for cover! What do I do now?

Regards

Hi,

Well done for the troubleshooting you did so far, you have eliminated the first things I would have asked you to do.

The next thing is to check the Banshee system by touching the BLUE wire to the battery positive - the Banshee system should work (after 1/4 sec delay). This will tell us if the Banshee system itself is working.

Can you please check this and then shoot me an email?

Best Regards,

Peter

--------------------------

Hi

I recently took delivery of my unit ordered via mr Schoeman (bulk order to South Africa) and installed it over the week-end, but cannot get it to work.

The installation is on a 1998 BMW R1100GS. The bike's lights and horn work normally, as if there is no banshee installed. The banshee however is silent, and the light is not pulsing (the unit is set up as I received it, i.e. .25s delay and flashing light)
I have checked the following to look for faults in the installation:

1 The fuse in the unit is not blown.
2 The earth connection is sound. I even went as far as connecting the negative from the horn as well as the black wire from the box directly onto the battery's negative terminal.
3 There are two wires going to the bike's standard horn. I connected the blue wire from the box to both (alternatively) but to no effect.

What do I do to get it working? Please advise.

Regards

Attachments

• Isolater Relay Schematic 5-14-2012.pdf
    51.4 KB · Views: 14