Barberton to Cape Town - Planning my longest solo ride so far.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrissie B

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda NC750X
Hi fellow doggies

It's my friend and ex Roomie Wanita's birthday on the 3rd of Feb and she is having her party at Kirstenbosch to watch Freshly Ground.  So I decided, it would be really nice to join her for her birthday.  :biggrin:

I am familiar with the first bit of the trip, since I've been to the Eastern and 'middle' part of the Cape before, but never beyond Knysna, so this is going to be so exciting to finally find my way to the Western Cape  ;D :laughing4:

So I have planned the initial stage of my trip, and will be going via Bethlehem to say hi to B3/Blommie and Hermit and from there I plan to head towards Bloemfontein, Gariep, Colesberg and then split off towards the west.  My plan is not to ride on the main roads too much, but rather choose some scenic country roads.  I am still debating about whether to include dirt roads since I'm on my own!  My bike is too heavy for me to pick up, even if I just drop it, and I am totally useless at fixing punctures.... but at least on most tar roads I can usually find help.

My other hiccup is that I am doing this on a very tight budget, so need to find cheap accommodation/food along the way... not even sure where, as I still have to work out how long it will take me to get from Bethlehem to CT, especially if I want to do the scenic routes and possibly look at areas of interest along the way.  I may take a tent with, but have to see, as I will have my 'office' with me as well, so space will be limited.

And now here's where you guys/gals come into it... I am looking for any advice and suggestions as to how to go about this, any and all ideas welcome.  :thumleft:

I can't wait... have never undertaken a trip of this distance on my own... very exciting and a little nerve wrecking too.  :eek: