Battery connecter modification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drusky

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
I occasionaly play with electric flying machines that draw high amperage through little 3mm gold plated connecters. This led me to consider what an almighty pain in the backside it is to disconnect my BMW battery. Something I would like to do if I know I am not going to use the bike for two weeks or so.

I have these (5mm) and intend chopping one in half to make a negative quick connecter and a positive quick connecter which I will bolt to the existing battery terminals.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=9194
EC5(1).jpg

Concerns:
  • Bike unplugs itself mid-mosey. On a freeway. With four trucks occupying the two lane road behind me, driven by guys with poor spatial orientation and no depth perception.
  • These can supposedly handle over 100 amps. I can imagine starting the bike and upon cold start drawning far in excess of 100A; the plugs melt and ingnite something flamable like my motorcycle and then my pants and then me.
  • There might be a good reason why no automotive manufacturer seems to do this.

What else should I be concerned about. I like the idea despite my vivid imagination. Perhaps I should find more robust plugs with some sort of latching system that requires thumb pressure to release although these ones are a very tight fit.