Battery maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikerider

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
My original battery lasted from Aug 2008 to Feb 2014. That was a good run. I then replaced it with a Dixon battery I bought from Vonde Batteries for R580 using the specs for after market batteries listed in this section. In this week the bike sounded as if it only just had enough swing to start the bike. For the 1st time last Friday, the engine cut out while I was freeing with the clutch pulled in.

The tell tale signs were slightly different to what I experienced back in 2014 when the original battery started acting up. At that time the bike would start fine but then while idling, the cluster would die for a second, come alive and then go through the start up process again.

So thinking I only paid R580 in Feb 2014, I suspected it was time for a new one since 3.5 years on a cheapy was not bad. I promptly bought a new one at Vonde yesterday for R615. Only increased by R35 in 3.5 years.... :thumleft:. Nice thing about these batteries is that it is sold dry with the acid sealed separately in an easy to fill container. It can therefore be shelved for a very long time until such time as you need it.

So the actual reason for the post, when I removed the old battery I decided to open it to check the water level. The cover you fit over the 6 cells after filling it when new says "do not remove" which lead me to believe it was maintenance free. Clearly not. Upon inspection, the lead plates in all 6 cells were exposed and it took quite a bit of battery water to get it to the correct level. I gave the old battery a good charge with the C-Tek. Seems all is still good so I will monitor the battery and check the water level at least once a year. I also made sure it charges properly and the bike supplies 14.3V while running.

Seems the new battery will spend some more time on a shelf for now....  I did the last service myself last year. Lesson - if it is not a sealed battery, keep an eye on the water level....