Bay2Bay_5935km in 14 days on my XR650L

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I planned a trip to Vic Falls via Livingstone for between 10 December 2011 and 24 December 2011. My planning was done over six months, which included buying a suitable bike, saving up money and making nice stuff for the bike. Obviously, I made the right choice with buying a XR650L for the trip.

So with everything finally in place and all psyched up ready to go, the night before leaving.................., the phone rings.

Hello (it’s the wife), whatzup, how you doing? I am not doing too well. What’s the matter? I am taken up in Panorama Mediclinic. O SHIT what HAPPENED I asked. Then came the unexpected answer, “I am suffering a relapse due to the Crone’s and I would like you to be here (she was visiting her parents in Kuilsrivier for the December holidays), but if you can’t, I will understand………………………! Yeah right.

What to do, what to do???????????????????????

Leaving for Vic Falls is planned for so long already and Cape Town is far away. Do I go to Vic Falls or do I go to Cape Town are the thoughts flying around in my mind.

The next morning I wake up, get dressed, and take the already packed bike from the garage. Final check if I have all the required documents, bank cards, cash, etc.

scaled.php
scaled.php
scaled.php

Start up and ride to the nearest service station to fill up. Right everything is done and ready to finally depart. Still not knowing what to do I proceed to the famous Walvis Bay circle? If I take the first exit I go to Vic falls via Swakopmund and if I take the second exit, I go to Solitaire via Kuiseb canyon.

Then the question that all married men face every day came to light, “Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy”? I have learned over some years of marriage that being happy outweighs being right.

So I took the second exit and the most incredible adventure started………………….!

On route to Cape Town I would experience many places over the next few days.

The first of these places was Solitaire, where I enjoyed a great lunch after battling the C14’s sand pit and corrugations.

scaled.php
scaled.php

scaled.php
scaled.php

The next stop was Sesriem, where I will sleep for the night 1st night

scaled.php
scaled.php
scaled.php

After a good breakfast I left for Sendelingsdrif where I will sleep for the 2nd night

Taking a well-deserved rest next to the Rosh Pinah road……..

scaled.php
scaled.php
scaled.php

Finally arrived at Sendelingsdrif, just before they close and found a place to camp…..

scaled.php
scaled.php
scaled.php

The camping at Sendelingsdrif is farken expensive and very basic. I could not get any food at the poorly stocked shop. All meat was frozen, no bread, no take aways and no microwave to defrost any of the frozen foods. I had to eat so decided on a tin of sweet corn and 2 packets of Lays Lightly Salted crisps.

scaled.php
scaled.php
scaled.php

Woke up very early the next morning, packed up quickly and took the road to Cape Town. The route I chose was straight to Port Nolloth for breakfast, then to Kleinzee and Koiingnaas on the Wildeperdehoek Pass to the N7.

Some adhoc pics on route to Port Nolloth………..

scaled.php
scaled.php
scaled.php

I eventually arrived in Cape Town and went straight to the Hospital to see my dearest wife. She had received some medical treatment over the previous few days and felt a lot better. So I decided to stay until she is completely well again and then I will hit the road back to Nam.

My return journey will take me through Ceres, Calvinia, Pofadder and up to Onseepkans into Nam.

Return Journey to follow……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..