Been lurking ... but NEW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
Decided to take the plunge and introduce myself to the kennel ... been commuting on a scooter the last 3 odd years and been itching to get back on a "real" bike again.  Background - messing around on scramblers on the farm since an early age (unfortunately they were stationary for a lot of the time). 

So I got the new (second hand) bike on Monday  :biggrin: and I need some advice / direction; where to from here?
Will be looking to do day trips around Cape Town with as much as possible gravel, possibly an overnight camp trip now and again (with 2 small kids and heavily involved in family life there will be no long trips in the near future). 

- get protective gear?
Currently just own a helmet and told the wife that I will be sensible about this - will a neck brace the first thing to acquire?

- do a course?
Any course recommendations for Cape Town will be appreciated. 

To do a course I assume you would need some basic kit.  Due to my limited budget I have been looking around on Gumtree; but kitting out my skinny white ass from Gumtree might take a while it seems.      :-\

Anyway, any input will be greatly appreciated!  :thumleft: