Best route JHB to Richardsbay.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 955 Tiger
Have followed the the best alternative to bypass the road works etc. and used the JHB, Hendrina, Ermelo, Amsterdam, Piet Retief, Pongola route. Ended up losing both front and rear rims in a pothole at 160km/h at 18H00 just before Amsterdam. Had to call for backup to bring my cage & trailer and loaded the bike and complete the route by cage, trailer and bike. Traveling time down (excluding standing time) 10 hrs.

On the return route I went from Richards Bay, Vryheid, Utrecht, Newcastle, Vrede, JHB. Traveling time 9 hrs 30 min.

Where is the days that I used to do this in 6 hrs 30 mins using the Ermelo, Piet Retief, Pongola route keeping to speed limits. They are working on every single road, pot goles in M(any)P(othole) country, mist after dark and rain in winter are some of the reasons for the long traveling times.

Figures it best to go JHB, Durban, Richards Bay next time. Highway all the way, and GPS estimated traveling time 7 hrs 30 mins if you take it cool. I have done Balito to JHB in 4 hrs straight in the cage so in reality Richards Bay should only be 5 to 6 hrs max.

Any ideas?