Bike mag rant/ WD rave!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sierck-Les-Bains, France, (Formerly Benoni, SA)
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
I work overseas and have to ride vicariously though ride reports and reading magazines.
I subscribed to a certain South African offroading magazine. After purchasing 2 editions I gave up.
A publication of 80 pages contains 35 pages of full page advertisements!  :eek7:

Now I realize that Advertisements serve the purpose of informing the reader of what's available and from whom, so I am by no means knocking retailers advertising in the mags.

What makes me want to puke is the adverts that are thinly disguised under the heading "Trade news", etc..
So we are now swallowing this badly baited "American style" hook?

The PRIMARY reason I would buy any form of literature is for good, solid content. Advertisements are secondary to me.
The minute you begin to peddle commercial content as "trade news" or any other moniker you may choose, you lose my support. As useful as such content may or may not prove to be, I prefer not to be bullshitted. I'm too old and crabby for that kind of BS.
It makes me wonder how objective the reviews of bikes, etc. will be if the Publication is so blatantly and obviously in the pockets of the advertisers, as demonstrated throughout the magazines numerous commercial pages.
:puke_l: :puke_r: :puke_l:
Rant off....

Rave on!!!
So for now and I suspect for always, I find the BEST CONTENT (Reviews, ride reports, banter, gossip, everything!) and the BEST ADVERTISING (Word-of-mouth and sponsored links) and the BEST ADVICE right here on WD's 
The guys are straight up and down and are not influenced by who is stocking their shelves as to what they say and do. I do believe we have the mods to thank for this. This forum is the sh!t!!
:thumleft: